Pro Bowl Moving to Miami, week before SB for 2010; Mixed Reactions
Mixed feelings about Pro Bowl moving to Florida
By FRED GOODALL
AP Sports Writer
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- The Pro Bowl will be in Miami next year. At least two players headed to this year's game in Hawaii have mixed feelings about the all-star event being held in South Florida the weekend before the 2010 Super Bowl.
It's not that Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson and Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis have anything against the Sunshine State. After all, both grew up in Florida and played at the University of Miami.
"I love Hawaii," Johnson, a three-time Pro Bowl selection said, drawing laughter during a news conference also featuring first-time AFC pick Nick Mangold of the New York Jets on Wednesday.
Johnson, a Miami native, quickly changed course.
"It'll be different ... being in a different site," he added. "It'll be in my hometown, it'll be a lot of fun. Hopefully I can go and make it."
Two-time Pro Bowl pick Portis wasn't budging, though.
"For me, I hope I'm not available," he said. "I hope we're in the Super Bowl next year."
The NFL announced last month that next season's all-star game will be held one week before the Super Bowl, with both games at Dolphin Stadium. The Pro Bowl has been held in Honolulu since 1980.
Portis does see one advantage to the game being shifted to the mainland. It could be a much more affordable trip for fans.
"I think for the people in the (continental) states, this is going to give them an opportunity to get to Miami," the running back said. "There will be a lot going on in Miami for those two weeks preparing for the Super Bowl. Hopefully, I'm preparing for the Super Bowl, too."