Pet Doors Kill! Cat Flaps Under Investigation!
A hundred instances in 10 years time? I'm sorry but this is not a threat to the wellbeing of our nation's children. Surely, if you have a pool and a kid you can do the math and figure out that securing your pool is a pretty important part of the baby-proofing thing.
Consumer Alert: Children's Deaths Tied to Pet Doors
Unknown Danger for Curious Tots Able to Squeeze Through Tiny Openings
By JOSEPH RHEE and BRIAN ROSS
May 12, 2009
More than a hundred children have died or been seriously injured in the last decade after squeezing through tiny pet doors and getting into swimming pools or other dangerous places, new research has found.
Pet doors have led to the deaths of more than 100 children.
"What we see is a picture that's emerging which shows that the pet door is a really serious hazard in a home that no one has really had on the radar screen," said Sean Kane, of Safety Research and Strategies.
At the request of trial lawyers, Kane combed through hundreds of coroner's reports and media accounts.
"It's a very laborious task to get through the documents and the data and the connections to find these incidents," said Kane. "But I think at the end of this we're going to find hundreds of incidents."
Kane compared the issue with pet doors to the discovery of the pattern of children hurting themselves in cribs.
Millions of pet owners have installed the convenient devices, which allow cats and dogs to come and go at will. Some of the openings measure 8 by 11 inches, no bigger than a sheet of paper.
"Parents don't appreciate that their children, even if they're bigger, can get through," said Dylan's father, Hank Didier, a Florida lawyer suing a pet door manufacturer for the family of two-year old Matthew Ranfone.
Matthew's mother Carol, of Spring Hill, Florida, found her son floating in the backyard swimming pool after he managed to get through a small pet door in the family home.
"I remember when the accident occurred," she recalled, "and thinking to myself, 'How in the world did he ever fit out of that door?'"
The PetSafe door in the Ranfone home contained no warning to parents of the possible danger on its package or product instructions.
She was outraged to learn that many children had died under similar circumstances before her son.
"It was just unbelievable to me that all of these accidents happened as a result of doggie doors and how come I wasn't informed," she told ABC News.
Scare of The Day