U.S. soldier kills Afghan civilians, officials say
From Sara Sidner, CNN
updated 9:09 AM EDT, Sun March 11, 2012
Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- An American soldier left his base in Afghanistan and went from house to house in two villages, killing 16 people in their homes, a provincial official told CNN Sunday.
NATO's International Security Assistance Force confirmed that a soldier had gone off base and fired on civilians before turning himself in, but did not say how many victims there had been.
There has been confusion about the number of casualties since the shooting in Kandahar province, eastern Afghanistan, with different sources offering different numbers.
Regardless of the number of victims, the incident looks likely to inflame tensions still further between foreign troops and Afghan civilians, many of whom were enraged by the burning of Qurans by American troops last month.
Taliban vow revenge for U.S. soldier's shooting rampage
Imagine that!!! :rolleyes:
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 7:01 AM EDT, Mon March 12, 2012
Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- The Afghan Taliban said Monday that the group's fighters would exact revenge for 16 people left dead after an American soldier went on a house-to-house shooting rampage a day earlier in two villages.
Describing U.S. forces as "sick-minded American savages," the Taliban said in a website statement that the group would mete out punishment for the "barbaric actions."
U.S. officials have expressed shock and sadness over the attack. Afghan leaders have angrily condemned it. President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan called it an "unforgivable" crime, noting that nine of the dead were children.
The killings have fueled fears of intensified ire directed at international forces in the country following deadly riots last month over the burning of Qurans by U.S. troops.