Haditha Prosecution Results So Far...
With the dismissal of charges against LTC Jeffrey Chessani, six of the seven Marines charged in the so-called Haditha Massacre been acquitted or had all charges dropped. Charges remain against one Marine, who is awaiting trial.
Just for the record:
- LTC Jeffrey Chessani: All charges dismissed
- LT Andrew Grayson: Acquitted on all charges
- Lance Cpl. Stephen Tatum: All charges dismissed
- CPT Lucas McConnell: All charges dismissed
- Lance Cpl. Justin Sharratt: All charges dismissed
- SGT Sanick Dela Cruz: All charges dismissed
- SGT Frank Wuterich: Awaiting trial
The record of their accusers in the media and political world is less than stellar:
The list is as apalling as it is endless, but even this pales before the judgement of someone who should have known better:
- Keith Olbermann: “willful targeted brutality.”
- The Nation: “Enough details have emerged . . . to conclude that . . . members of the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment perpetrated a massacre.” and “a willful, targeted brutality designed to send a message to Iraqis.”
- The New York Times wrote over 30 stories on what the paper called the “defining atrocity” of the Iraq war
- The Guardian: “My Lai on the Euphrates?”
- The London Telegraph: “Massacre in Iraq just like My Lai”
- The Los Angeles Times: “What happened at the Iraqi My Lai?”
- Maureen Dowd: “My Lai acid flashback."
- Rep. John Murtha: “Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood.”
The Marines at Haditha have nothing to be ashamed of. The media and politicians who rushed to find them guilty without facts cannot say the same.