Thread: Sexually transmitted disease rates soar: CDC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sexually transmitted disease rates soar: CDC 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Syphilis rates dropped by 90 percent in the 1990s to a record low level in 2000, and officials thought it might disappear as a public health threat before its resurgence this decadeSyphilis has increased each year since 2000 -- its rate is up 81 percent -- with gay and bisexual men representing 65 percent of cases, the CDC said.

– U.S. syphilis rates rose for a seventh year in 2007, driven by gay and bisexual men, while chlamydia reached record numbers and gonorrhea remained at alarming levels -- especially among blacks, health officials said on Tuesday.

Blacks make up 12 percent of the U.S. population, but account for about 70 percent of gonorrhea cases and almost half of chlamydia and syphilis cases, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.Black women ages 15 to 19 have the highest rates of chlamydia and gonorrhea, and gonorrhea rates for blacks overall were 19 times higher than for whites, the CDC said.

Dr. John Douglas, who heads the CDC's division of sexually transmitted disease, or STD, prevention, said overall syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea rates are unacceptably high. Cases of these three STDs are reported by U.S. states to the CDC.

In 2007, 1.1 million U.S. cases of chlamydia were reported, up from about 1 million in 2006 and the most ever, and the rate rose by 7.5 percent from the prior year, the CDC said in a report. Douglas said the figures may reflect that more peopleare being diagnosed rather than a rise in infections.

In addition, more than 350,000 cases of gonorrhea were reported in 2007, essentially unchanged from 2006, the CDC said. Gonorrhea rates fell dramatically from the mid-1970s through the mid-1990s, with little progress since.

Chlamydia and gonorrhea are easily diagnosed and treated, but frequently have no symptoms and remain undetected.

Untreated, chlamydia and gonorrhea -- both bacterial infections -- can cause pelvic inflammatory disease and infertility in women. The two infections also can cause ectopic pregnancy, chronic pelvic pain and other health problems.

"Of all the causes of infertility, this is probably the most preventable -- since these infections can be prevented, diagnosed and treated," Douglas said in a telephone interview.

In men, gonorrhea can cause a painful condition of the ducts attached to the testicles that cause infertility. Gonorrhea also can spread to the blood or joints and can be life threatening. Chlamydia complications among men are rare.

Douglas said to avoid STDs, teens can delay the beginning of sexual activity, people can limit the number of sexual partners and use condoms. "Condoms have risk-reduction value for every sexually transmitted condition," Douglas said.

Syphilis is less common than the others, with 11,466 cases reported in 2007. Rates rose 15 percent from 2006. Syphilis rates dropped by 90 percent in the 1990s to a record low level in 2000, and officials thought it might disappear as a public health threat before its resurgence this decade.Syphilis has increased each year since 2000 -- its rate is up 81 percent -- with gay and bisexual men representing 65 percent of cases, the CDC said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090113/...infections_usa

It never ceases to amaze me how much VD there is when there is an inexpensive and reliable product out there that has a proven track record in preventing the spread of such diseases.

Agreed, noon. It's crazy how many guys I know who throw down without bagging it. I been married 5 years and still do every time! (although that's just cuz she's gotten pregnant before while on the pill so we don't risk it these days)
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how much VD there is when there is an inexpensive and reliable product out there that has a proven track record in preventing the spread of such diseases.
    I'll have to say that being raised a Christian (ie. ring on finger before any fun), I was quite shocked at freshman orientation last year when at the health presentation the nurse announced there were free condoms. When I say free, there were giant bowls of these things in the clinic (and my school only had ~5k students) as well as the RA offices. Not just that but the RAs would periodically do a STD awareness thing and give everyone who walked past them 4 condoms (and you couldn't refuse). I found that making balloons of them and "playing" with friends is much more fun(I'm the one taking these, not in these):

In case there are any (crazy) fools out there that thee things aren't impermeable, I think the above photos are proof that they are tough.

Condoms certainly delay infection but they can't reliably prevent it if one long term partner is infected. What would be of a lot more practical value is a home screening kit for the most common STDs. For whatever reason, black women just aren't getting screened often enough (and that's probably equally true for white teens and Hispanic women who delay childbearing).

If there was a cheap home test, I'll bet more women would seek treatment and I'll bet more of them would dump their switching-hitting, cheating men. :)

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Agreed, noon. It's crazy how many guys I know who throw down without bagging it. I been married 5 years and still do every time! (although that's just cuz she's gotten pregnant before while on the pill so we don't risk it these days)
    You know, there's an easy, permanent solution to that:

As for avoiding STDs, I think monogamy works best. I'm pretty sure the risk of two virgins contracting an STD is slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    what would that be? The condom? guess again. The preventative aspects of the rubber are exaggerated. Don't get me wrong - they help - but they are not as great as planned parenthood would like you to believe. Of course - Abstinence and monogamy do go a long way towards preventing the spread of these diseases.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Another thing that would help prevent the spread of these diseases is good old fashioned WORK. Kinda hard to get disease ridden when you are working and supporting yourself rather than sitting around all day with nothing to do but fuck and play video games. . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    I'll have to say that being raised a Christian (ie. ring on finger before any fun), I was quite shocked at freshman orientation last year when at the health presentation the nurse announced there were free condoms. When I say free, there were giant bowls of these things in the clinic (and my school only had ~5k students) as well as the RA offices. Not just that but the RAs would periodically do a STD awareness thing and give everyone who walked past them 4 condoms (and you couldn't refuse). I found that making balloons of them and "playing" with friends is much more fun(I'm the one taking these, not in these):

In case there are any (crazy) fools out there that thee things aren't impermeable, I think the above photos are proof that they are tough.

At least you had fun with them. When I went on a Young Life trip to Colorado, some of the hockey players with us blew some up and were batting them around the bus like balloons. The poor christian bus driver was so disgusted, we were treated to a lecture about inappropriate behavior at the next stop by the YL leaders.

When I went to college in the fall of 1982, I was shocked at just how slutty my peers in the dorm were. I grew up in a conservative community, and although we were certainly not innocent at my high school, none of my friends in high school was a total slut-just one or two of my friends who had daddy issues (like my brother's sometime girlfriend). I was an orchestra geek who also participated in Young Life. In college that changed fast-my best friend and I were the only ones who didn't hook up with a different guy every weekend. One of my roommates got HPV, another got chlamydia.

The health center at WMU, which I never used because my dad kept my insurance going until I was 21, mainly was there to provide birth control pills to female students, and give free flu shots to all students. All my roommates were instructed that I was to be brought to Bronson Hospital should I need emergency medical care, or a stomach pumping-I think they did that at the health center, too.

Just a few days ago, there was much liberal glee about the report that said virginity pledges don't work. (Though the actual report did state that Christian kids were remaining abstinent for several years longer than their peers, a fact not stressed in the MSM, of course.)

I guess I must have missed all the liberal reaction to the fact that their sex ed and condom handouts seemingly don't work. :eek:

-
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.