Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The not so great Dave Matthews Band debate 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    As a result of the band not being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I'm curious about the stance on this HUGE BOMBSHELL important issue of my friends here.

Related article here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ub/4488124002/

I'll weigh in with my thoughts later.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

1) I’ve never been a big fan, but don’t really have anything against them, either. They just aren’t my cup of tea, musically.

2) Was never aware of the formula used to determine who is inducted and who is not. I had no idea that fan votes were ever in the cards.

3) According to the article, this was the first time they’ve ever been a nominee, so that doesn’t mean they won’t eventually be inducted in subsequent years.

4) I’ve kind of lost all respect for the entire concept when rappers were inducted several years ago... Not because they aren’t talented, but rock and roll is rock and roll. Rap is not.

My .02 which isn’t worth much.
    Last edited by Tecate; 01-18-2020 at 07:06 AM.

I’m pretty well in Tecate’s camp on this. Remember, I was there in front of the radio at the birth of rock and roll and, like “country music”, I’m appalled at what passes for either one today. I just reviewed a 50+ series on YouTube before answering this and while agreeing they have some outstanding musical abilities, I have no problem with their non-inclusion.

But ...

Why score a fan vote if it meant nothing?
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The people who bought our house in
    Sarasota worked for them. Other
    than that...

May the FORCE be with you!

Seems like the HoF never really had a chance of staying committed to the dream that created it.

The Arts and a 'hall of fame' concept don't go together.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    While I do own "Under the Table and Dreaming", their first big album/CD, quickly soured in the band. In the mid-late 90's, they were overexposed. Some of their older stuff is quite good. But similar to a lot of bands that hit it big, they seem to completely vanish or become a cult favorite. Hell, my Aunt and Uncle (in their early-mid 60's) have seen them live about a hundred times.

It wouldn't perturb me if they would get in the HOF. A museum of rock history is all well and good, they deserve to be recognized in that. Seems to me there is a larger issue with mixing pop, rock, rap into a "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame. Madonna & Whitney Houston? Not rock. Debby Harry & Blondie, The Supremes, they are rock. Lotta genre bending.

Similar to the baseball hall of fame, this is a good barroom topic. Or a discussion board.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

It would be interesting to peruse through the history of who’s in and who’s not in, as well as who’s in that shouldn’t be and who’s not in that should be. I think it’s in Cleveland, Ohio. It’s kind of on my bucket list of places I’d like to go. Cleveland... The mistake on the lake...

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post

Similar to the baseball hall of fame, this is a good barroom topic. Or a discussion board.
    Or a trivia subject?
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Seriously, the powers that be should create a Boogie hall of fame and not weaken the standards about who gets in. Boogie & blues only,

That way Delta Blues can get in, Chicago Blues, Memphis... UK acts (Savoy Brown, Long John Baldry, John Mayall, Dr. Feelgood)… Canned Heat; America's greatest boogie-band...

Keep out the schlock and record-company payola hangers-on.

This is going off on a tangent, but I’ve had discussions with my stepbrother while drinking beer in his garage over this matter... Is the level of difficulty to play it what makes the music good, or great? Or is it just a great tune even when the chords and such are basic? I argue for the latter. A good song is a good song, regardless of the level of difficulty to play it on guitar or any other instrument.