Thread: Anheuser Busch Rejects the Belgians' Offer

1. #1 Anheuser Busch Rejects the Belgians' Offer 
    Report: A-B Will Reject Buyout Offer

2 hrs ago

KSDK -- The Board of Directors for Anheuser-Busch will reject a buyout offer from Beligan brewery InBev, according to an online report from the Wall Street Journal.
    The Wall Street Journal report said the board will reject the offer this week.
    The report did not go into much depth, but said the board rejected InBev, saying the offer undervalues Anheusher-Busch stock.
    The Wall Street Journal, quoting unnamed sources, reported that A-B brewery executives said they will cut costs over the next few years to create a savings of $500 million. In addiiton, they could sell off the theme parks and make billions more.
    A keystone of the rejection is a proposed special dividend for shareholders. That dividend would put extra money in the pockets of shareholders. Instead of getting $65 per share from InBev, shareholders would receive less, in the form of the dividend.

snip

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story...48849&catid=40

Surprised that the board is so gutsy. There have been demonstrations in St Louis, with the good local folks carrying signs, that they do NOT want a foreign brewery taking over what is such a tradition in our city. There were reports from other breweries taken over by InBev of the treatment of the employees, etc, etc.

AB is VERY good to their employees. I always wanted to be a beer salesman, but wasn't qualified. :D

I guess the ball is in InBev's court. Here's hoping their isn't a hostile takeover attempt. Glad they're not selling out to the Europeans. America isn't totally for sale at a bargain basement price.

I greatly admire the board of directors. It's a gutsy move, particularly going against Warren Buffett, who holds more stock than the Busch family.

This just came out a few hours ago.

Good for Anheuser-Busch. The Belgians would turn it into a snobby European beer. The price would have to go up of course so the elitist beer snobs would be happy. They need to pay a lot for their beer to think they're drinking good beer, when actually it tastes like someones gym socks were soaked in them.

Quote Originally Posted by YupItsMe View Post
    Good for Anheuser-Busch. The Belgians would turn it into a snobby European beer. The price would have to go up of course so the elitist beer snobs would be happy. They need to pay a lot for their beer to think they're drinking good beer, when actually it tastes like someones gym socks were soaked in them.
    Thanks. It was announced today that the board has rejected the offer, not just a WSJ report now.

AB contributes to many charities, is one of the largest AMERICAN breweries. Beer snobs can make little snide remarks about Bud, but it's a US company that treats its employees well and is one of the mainstays to the St Louis (and other sites where they have breweries) economies.

Good for AB for standing up to them. Sometimes David can beat Goliath. Just hope there isn't that hostile takeover attempt, which wouldn't surprise me.

Power CUer
    I am very glad they treat their employees well, but the fact remains that their product tastes like very mildly alcoholic soda pop.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    My ex worked for AB when we first met. They really do treat their employees well. I miss the Christmas parties.:D
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I am very glad they treat their employees well, but the fact remains that their product tastes like very mildly alcoholic soda pop.
    Never miss a chance for a snark.

I don't even drink beer, but respect an American company trying to stay American and contribute to the community.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Never miss a chance for a snark.
    It's not a snark. It's a legitimate description of their product.