1. #1 Brit Kennel Club Revamps Dog Standards. 
    Healthier new bulldog will lose its Churchillian jowl

Kennel Club standards will improve welfare

The bulldog will lose its Churchillian jowl after the Kennel Club reformed breeding standards. Puppies will be taller and leaner with smaller faces

Valerie Elliott, Consumer Editor

The classic British bulldog, a symbol of defiance and pugnacity, is to disappear. A shake-up of breeding standards by the Kennel Club has signalled the end of the dog’s Churchillian jowl. Instead, the dog will have a shrunken face, a sunken nose, longer legs and a leaner body.

The change has angered the British Bulldog Breed Council and it is threatening legal action against the club. Robin Searle, the chairman, said: “What you’ll get is a completely different dog, not a British bulldog.”

New breeding standards for 209 dog species have been brought into immediate force after the furore over breeding practices shown on a BBC One documentary, Pedigree Dogs Exposed, last summer. Breeders have until the end of June to lodge any objections.

The shake-up comes as one of the country’s leading zoologists and animal behaviour experts, Sir Patrick Bateson, announced that he would be heading an independent inquiry into dog breeding.

The Kennel Club is determined to show its commitment to dog welfare and has ordered the removal of characteristic features from some dogs. In a statement it said: “The breed standards have been revised so they will not include anything that could in any way be interpreted as encouraging features that might prevent a dog breathing, walking and seeing freely.”

The shar pei will lose the familiar folds of skin on the neck, skull and legs while the Clumber spaniel and the labrador retriever must stay slim to qualify as top show dogs. Flat faces without a muzzle on Pekingese are also no longer acceptable because they cause breathing difficulties. Other breeds to change are the bloodhound, German shepherd hound, basset hound, Saint Bernard, chow chow, the Dogue de Bordeaux and mastiff.
    (snip)

Bulldogs are prone to skin and coat problems, cherry eye, respiratory disorders, orthopaedic conditions, and soft or cleft palate. Most are born by Caesarean section because large heads and proportionally small hips make natural births difficult. The breed’s anatomy also hinders mating, with many litters conceived via artificial insemination.

Jemima Harrison, of Passionate Productions, which made Pedigree Dogs Exposed, said that the changes were “hugely welcome and long overdue” but that it would take years to put right all the problems.
    Interesting but ultimately stupid. The fundamental problem isn't being addressed and that's the club's position on outcrossing (it's the same with the AKC here). You can fiddle around with superficial traits like height and skull shape all you want but if you aren't outcrossing every 4 or 5 generations, you will still have inherent genetic problems down the line.

One of the reason that you don't hear about the level of genetic defects in purebred horses or cattle that seem so common in purebred dogs is that the breed organizations overseeing a lot of horse breeds and almost all cattle breeds allow outcrossing in the line. The first generation offspring can't be registered, of course, but their offspring often can be if the offspring meet the general standards for the breed.

This keeps hybrid vigor in the line while still retaining desirable traits. The AKC over here won't even discuss the possibility. :(

Yeah, the AKC has royally screwed up quite a few dog breeds.
    Dobermans with skulls too small to hold their brains.
    They've ruined the German Shepard. Some of them can't even walk.

They do it with birds too.
    Lutino (solid yellow) cockatiels are often inbred. I have one that has a genetic bald spot behind her top knot that is a result of these breeding practices.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Yeah, the AKC has royally screwed up quite a few dog breeds.
    Dobermans with skulls too small to hold their brains.
    I hope you're kidding.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I hope you're kidding.
    He's not. There have been similar problems with Rough Collies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is why I support MUTTS.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I like that the Brit breed standard for Dobies and Rotties requires uncropped ears and undocked tails.

My blue Dobie was 14 years old when she died, never a problem. My Mom's black Dobie died at 11, no problem. This is just an urban legend that refuses to go away.
    MYTH:
    Dobermans may be good dogs when they're young, but when they're older their skull stops growing but their brain doesn't. Then their brain swells against the skull and they attack people.

FACT:
    This is physically impossible. A Doberman is a canine just like a Golden Retriever. They have the same bone and nerve structure. When any canine's head stops growing, so does his brain.

http://www.thedoberman.com/myths.shtml
    How old are they when their brain gets too large for their skull and they attack their owner?
    You can’t imagine how often breeders are asked this question. Of course it is physically impossible for the brain to outgrow the skull, but this myth persists and is believed as gospel by many otherwise-intelligent people.

http://www.dpcc.ca/dpcc-factsandmyths.htm
    MYTH: When Dobermans grow older, their skulls stop growing but their brain doesn't. As their brain becomes larger as they grow, it puts pressure on the brain driving the Doberman insane and causing it to “turn” on its owner.

FACT:

Of course this is ridiculous. Doberman people merely shake their heads in wonderment at the total lunacy of these claims. When they are properly bred, raised, socialized, and trained, Dobermans will love, protect and often die for their families. This loyalty to his family is instinctive. It will develop naturally and you don’t have to do anything to develop it. Of course obedience training is a different matter and should be considered by all Doberman owners.

Just like any other dog, when the skull stops growing, so des the brain. If Dobermans routinely went insane and became vicious, nature would eventually target them for extinction. However, if you abuse any dog, a dog can, and probably should, turn on the person perpetrating the abuse. You would probably do the same if you were abused or threatened. Only a %^$%@*! abuses any animal and those who do, in my humble opinion, deserve what they get.

http://spear-barkennels.com/About_Dobermans.php
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Collie eye anomaly (CEA) is a well understood genetic defect caused by selective breeding for more elegant skulls. At a certain point, some of the affected dogs became extremely prolific founders and the condition spread widely among Rough Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs, and (now) Border Collies.

At that time CEA was linked to smaller and narrower skulls in Rough Collies. Although narrow skulls don't cause CEA, the two conditions were often associated. At it's worst, litters were born with severe CEA, very small skulls, and defective eye positioning.

Responsible breeders now test all potentially affected dogs at least twice for the trait and Rough Collie breeders have stopped breeding for very dolichocephalic heads.

So, you could say that their heads were too small for their eyeballs (although there's a lot more to it than that). :D

Collie eye anomaly (CEA) is a well understood genetic defect caused by selective breeding for more elegant skulls. At a certain point, some of the affected dogs became extremely prolific founders and the condition spread widely among Rough Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs, and (now) Border Collies.

At that time CEA was linked to smaller and narrower skulls in Rough Collies. Although narrow skulls don't cause CEA, the two conditions were often associated. At it's worst, litters were born with severe CEA, very small skulls, and defective eye positioning.

Responsible breeders now test all potentially affected dogs at least twice for the trait and Rough Collie breeders have stopped breeding for very dolichocephalic heads.

So, you could say that their heads were too small for their eyeballs (although there's a lot more to it than that). :D
    I really dont know much about the Collie, but that sounds familiar. I may have seen it on Breed All About It or Dogs 101. I just hate hearing the old wives tails about Dobies' brains never stop growing or Pit Bulls have locking jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I really dont know much about the Collie, but that sounds familiar. I may have seen it on Breed All About It or Dogs 101. I just hate hearing the old wives tails about Dobies' brains never stop growing or Pit Bulls have locking jaws.
    I know what you mean. If any kind of dog actually had a locking jaw, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't want the dog-equivalent of vice-grips? :D