Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    His comment was a bit unfeeling, but I get it. Members of our Armed Forces die and no one other than their family and close friends are involved in the grieving.

It's sad for his families loss but I like to keep it in perspective.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yeah I guess I have a different perspective. I served myself. Danger and death are a reality of it. No one expects someone taking their kid to a ball game to drop out of the sky like that.

Besides, using the Armed Forces as a litmus isn't really all that fair. The nation honors heroes all the time, we get a holiday (one for veterans and one for those that didn't come home alive). We get parades and loads of support on the home front. We get the GI Bill, discounts, so on and so forth. We are venerated and treated far better than the serving members and veterans of any other nation of the world. Nothing's perfect but in the grand scheme we could be treated far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by FourWinds View Post
    You're so cool and edgy. Obviously you cared enough to let us know you don't care.
    I *did* care exactly that much. On a Discussion forum. Who would think someone would state their lack of interest on a discussion forum?

This crash is reminiscent of the helicopter crash that killed rock promoter Bill Graham in 1991 in the Bay area. Graham and his party were returning from a late night event in low visibility when the aircraft struck high tension power lines killing all on board. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_G...licopter_crash

Yesterday morning was very foggy in most of SoCal and the morning drive radio this morning was reporting that many scheduled helicopter flights out of John Wayne Airport were cancelled due to low visibility. They also reported that law enforcement helos also stayed on the ground until conditions improved.

It is reported that Bryant's flight was operating VFR and was told by ATC shortly before the crash that they were at 900' above the terrain and they needed to climb. Shortly after that the helo crashed. If that is the case I'm curious if the pilot felt he could make it regardless of the visibility or the paying passenger insisted on flying to the destination, but in either case it appears that the pilot in command made the poor decision to fly into bad weather conditions.

Witnesses said they heard the engine sputtering before the crash, but turbine engines do not sputter when they fail and most likely what witnesses heard was the rotor blades slapping the air as the pilot increased power and pitch on the rotor blades to make a rapid climb.
    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    FOG = VERTIGO and immediate panic. If you have never experienced vertigo you wouldn't understand what happened. The pilot probably was looking outside and his fate was sealed. If he was uncertain what was happening he should have pulled into a safe hover and just sat there and watched his instruments until he had some visibility but then like I said panic sets in and you make bad decisions. Most aircraft instruments use RED back lighting to help prevent a pilot from getting vertigo and thank goodness the military teaches pilots how to cope with extreme fog, but low level is an all together different thing in a helicopter. The pilot should have never took off if he had paid attention to the forecast and warnings from all the sources especially local law enforcement aviation information, if they can't fly safely you sure as hell can't either. You will see a lot of law suits now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hielo View Post
    I *did* care exactly that much. On a Discussion forum. Who would think someone would state their lack of interest on a discussion forum?
    I'm being nice at work about Kobe's death, and I am sad for his daughter and the other people on the copter, but he was a rapist. He settled a civil suit out of court with his victim and criminal charges were dropped, but he still was a rapist, at least on one night in Colorado in the 90s.

His comment was a bit unfeeling, but I get it. Members of our Armed Forces die and no one other than their family and close friends are involved in the grieving.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I get it too. 4 members of the law enforcement community were killed last week with nary a peep in the media. Also, watching people crying and such I find laughable because in reality Bryant wouldn't have walked across the street to piss on most of those people if they were on fire. But at the same time, families lost a husband, father, sister, daughter, mother, etc. It is tragic.
    Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Darn.
    I got nuthin

To give a little context, a U.S. Military plane crashed over the weekend in Afghanistan. It is believed that all on board were killed.

U.S. military confirms plane crash in Afghanistan, disputes claims it was brought down
    http://news.trust.org/item/20200127193731-v17fs

The people onboard the downed jet were risking their lives in the interest of our National Security. Kobe played a game with a ball and a basket and became very rich doing so. You have to search to find the story about the downed plane in Afghanistan, while we have been bombarded by the press since yesterday about the death of Kobe.

Both accidents and loss of life are tragic and I feel for their families and loved ones, but I just don't get all the wailing and sorrow over a person who 99% of the population ever met.
    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm being nice at work about Kobe's death, and I am sad for his daughter and the other people on the copter, but he was a rapist. He settled a civil suit out of court with his victim and criminal charges were dropped, but he still was a rapist, at least on one night in Colorado in the 90s.
    No, he wasn't. That girl has semen from at least one other guy on her and no one saw her as being upset and that she was on psych meds for schizophrenia. She saw this as an opportunity to get rich, which she did, because Kobe didn't want to put his family through another trial he settled. Also, if she was raped then why didn't she testify at the criminal trial?
    Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It was never proved that she was raped. I'm not one of those people who accept an accusation as being true based on the individual who makes it, especially when there is a lot of money to be had. Needless to say I am not a supporter of the #metoo movement. The fact that Kobe settled a civil suit means nothing. It is a response to a cost/benefit analysis. It was cheaper to pay off the woman than fight it in court.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22