Thread: Another actor comes out of the closet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Another actor comes out of the closet. 
    ROURKE: 'BUSH WAS IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME'

Monday January 12,2009
    Actor MICKEY ROURKE sympathises with U.S. President GEORGE W. BUSH - insisting he doesn't know how any politician could have successfully navigated America after the 9/11 attacks on New York.

The Hollywood tough-guy spoke out about his political views in a candid interview with Britain's GQ magazine, and admits he doesn't understand why so many people blame Bush for a string of world issues - including Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism in the West.

And the actor, who claims he didn't follow last year's (08) historic U.S. election battle between Barack Obama and John McCain, urges the public to consider the tremendous pressure the controversial president was under following the terror attacks on the World Trade Center in 2001.

He tells the publication, "President Bush was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I don't know how anyone could have handled this situation.

"I don't give a f**k who's in office, Bush or whoever, there is no simple solution to this problem... I'm not one of those who blames Bush for everything. This s**t between Christians and Muslims goes back to the Crusades, doesn't it.

"It's too easy to blame everything on one guy. These are unpredictable, dangerous times, and I don't think that anyone really knows quite what to do."

Rourke also confesses he was so angry after 9/11, he wanted to fight the war on terror himself.

He adds, "I'm not politically educated. But I do know that after 9/11 I wanted to go over there, you know what I'm saying?"

And the star is baffled by the U.K.'s approach to fundamentalists - insisting he was taken aback by the freedom of speech allowed in the U.K.

He explains, "I was in London recently and I couldn't believe all these hate-talking fanatics you have over here who are allowed to carry on doing their thing even when a bus full of women and children gets blown to pieces.

"I know you've deported one or two of them, but it seems crazy. I think there is worse to come, something terrible will happen to either America or the U.K., or France even. I don't think these fundamentalists should be allowed to talk all this crap, and brainwashing these young kids."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...the-wrong-time

I've never heard an actor say he's not politically educated. I'm looking forward to seeing The Wrestler.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    He sure sounds like a rational actor or whatever he is .Rare type of critter these days .Last two American actors that I can recall where John Wayne And Ronald Reagan !
    Last edited by megimoo; 01-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.

I'm sure that Gore/Kerry could have done better.
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

Is this the guy that gave the balls/nuts speech at the Golden Globes?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    He sure sounds like a rational actor or whatever he is .Rare type of critter these days .Last two American actors that I can recall where John Wayne And Ronald Reagan !
    Really?

Bush Awards Actor Gary Sinise, 23 Others for Service to Nation
    President Bush awards the second highest civilian honor to individuals he says have tried to make the U.S. a better place.

Another recipient, actor Gary Sinise, played the double-amputee Vietnam War veteran in the Tom Hanks' movie "Forrest Gump." To television viewers, he's better known as a star of CBS' "CSI: NY."

After receiving his medal, Sinise told reporters that he had volunteered to help the USO after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, sending school supplies to Iraqi children. The White House cited him as a humanitarian and a patriot.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008...ervice-nation/

Rourke was on Oprah yesterday and clips from the movie were shown. He looks like a totally different man that he did when he made those weird movies in the 80s, like 9 1/2 Weeks and Angel Heart.

The movie looks good, though, and he was awesome in the clips that were shown.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The movie looks good, though, and he was awesome in the clips that were shown.
    I heard the same thing.

Someone told me "Rourke is excellent in the new movie he has coming out". I can't believe they still send the guy scripts, let alone him being excellent in something.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I heard the same thing.

Someone told me "Rourke is excellent in the new movie he has coming out". I can't believe they still send the guy scripts, let alone him being excellent in something.
    There is an Oscar buzz surrounding this movie. Not that means it will actually be good, but I do want to see it.

Back in the late ’80s, Randy “The Ram” Robinson (Mickey Rourke) was a headlining professional wrestler. Now, twenty years later, he ekes out a living performing for handfuls of diehard wrestling fans in high school gyms and community centers around New Jersey. Estranged from his daughter (Evan Rachel Wood) and unable to sustain any real relationships, Randy lives for the thrill of the show and the adoration of his fans. However, a heart attack forces him into retirement. As his sense of identity starts to slip away, he begins to evaluate the state of his life — trying to reconnect with his daughter, and striking up a blossoming romance with an exotic dancer (Marisa Tomei) who is ready to start a new life. Yet all this cannot compare to the allure of the ring and passion for his art, which threatens to pull Randy “The Ram” back into his world of wrestling. Director Darren Aronofsky presents a powerful portrait of a battered dreamer, who despite himself and the odds stacked against him, lives to be a hero once again in the only place he considers home – inside the ring. THE WRESTLER had its North American premiere at the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival and won the Golden Lion at the 2008 Venice Film Festival.
    http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1387528985/
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
    I'm sure that Gore/Kerry could have done better.
    Ha! Good one. Yeah, they could've done better hemming and hawing and sitting on their hands while the terrorists steam-rolled us into oblivion.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Banned
    The Wrestler is probably the best work Mickey has ever done. I loved it. Oscar for sure