Hybrid View

1. #1 The most disgusting cheese ever made - Casu marzu 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The most disgusting cheese ever made - Casu marzu
    en.wikipedia.org — Casu marzu is a traditional sheep milk cheese, notable for being riddled with live insect larvae. Though outlawed, it can be found on the black market. A typical piece contains thousands of live fly larvae and the cheese is considered toxic if consumed after the larvae have dies. Bon appetit!

Who the hell would eat that garbage? Where is the puke smiley?:eek:
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

Quote Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
    Who the hell would eat that garbage? Where is the puke smiley?:eek:
    Sardinians.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I've eaten (and enjoyed) a lot of cheeses that most people would reject on smell, appearance, or texture but I have to draw a line on maggot eating.

I expect this cheese happened by accident and became a local identity marker out of sheer risk-taking and survival. It's "traditional" because it's some kind of in-group test. Much like lutefisk in my own ethnic community.

Trust me - we never order lutefisk in Scandi restaurants. It's something you learn to eat because your Uncle dares you.

The World's Most Disgusting Foods, pictures

Cracked.com has published a fascinating and stomach-churning list of the world's most terrifying foods, from a maggot-ridden cheese that requires protective eyewear to the eggs of a giant South American ant. It's apparently a genuine list and parts of it are extremely disgusting, but it's also an ode to the daunting variability of the human palate.

Only the strong of stomach are advised to continue past the jump.

No. 6: Escamoles

Generously called "insect caviar" by some, it's the larvae of a giant ant found in agave and maguey plants, and is eaten in Mexico. They're eaten in tacos.

No. 5: Casu Marzu
    Why this isn't No. 1, I don't know. It's a rotted Sardinian sheep's milk cheese deliberately infected with maggots, and it's "the most beautiful gift you can give a Sardinian shepherd," according to Bon Appetit. The larvae can jump up to six inches, meaning you should eat it with protective eyewear. Some people prefer to eat the cheese without even bothering to take the maggots out first.

No. 4: Lutefisk
    Does lutefisk really deserve to be on a list of the six most terrifying foods? Sure, it's cod steeped for days in lye, and it can destroy silverware, but have you ever met someone from Minnesota who didn't love the stuff?

No. 3: Baby Mice Wine
    The Cracked list gets back on track with Baby Mice Wine, a Chinese and Korean medicinal wine containing the corpses of baby mice that were stuffed in the bottle and drowned just after birth.

No. 2: Pacha
    Pacha is an Iraqi dish of boiled sheep's head. Yawn.

No. 1: Balut
    A duck egg that's boiled just before it's ready to hatch, beak feathers and all. Eaten in the Philippines, Cambodia and Vietnam, where it's considered an aphrodisiac. Definitely not pretty, but hasn't everyone gotten an unpleasant surprise when cracking an egg at least once in their life?
    And if you are seated next to the diner it smells like a newly opened grave when the shell is cracked !

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu...rlds-mo-1.html

kepi luwak :Worlds most disgusting beverage

Apparently there is a brand of expensive coffee from Indonesia called kopi luwak, which is harvested from half-digested coffee beans picked from the turds of a small weasel-like animal. Is this really true?
    Dear Reader:

I had my doubts until I learned that University of Guelph food scientist Massimo Marcone actually trekked to Indonesia a few years back to collect samples of kopi luwak beans with his own two hands, supplying independent confirmation that this rare and exceedingly expensive varietal coffee really exists. Marcone figures almost half the beans marketed under the name "kopi luwak" are either adulterated or fake, however, so buyer beware.

"The secret of this delicious blend," enthuses the Indonesia Tourism Promotion Board, "lies in the bean selection, which is performed by a luwak, a species of civet cat endemic to Java. The luwak will eat only the choicest, most perfectly matured beans which it then excretes, partially digested, a few hours later. Plantation workers then retrieve the beans from the ground, ready for immediate roasting."

To be precise, the so-called "civet cat" -- more properly known as the palm civet -- isn't really a cat at all, but rather a distant cousin of the mongoose. Native to southeast Asia and Indonesia, the palm civet subsists entirely on fruit -- in particular the fleshy, red cherry of the coffee tree, which grows abundantly in those parts of the world.

Kopi luwak asking price: $600 per pound

Kopi luwak began showing up in North America during the 1990s at the height of the Starbucks-inspired gourmet coffee craze. It has been sold in the U.S. for up to $600 per pound and can fetch as much as $30 for a single brewed cup in some parts of the world. Coffee connoiseur Chris Rubin explains what makes kopi luwak worth the exorbitant price:

The aroma is rich and strong, and the coffee is incredibly full bodied, almost syrupy. It's thick with a hint of chocolate, and lingers on the tongue with a long, clean aftertaste. It's definitely one of the most interesting and unusual cups I've ever had.

Indonesia isn't the sole producer of civet-processed coffee, by the way. In Vietnam, aficionados hanker after the exceedingly rare caphe cut chon ("fox dung coffee," so named because civets resemble foxes to the Vietnamese), which is harvested in precisely the same manner as kopi luwak.

Cream? Sugar? Gas mask?

As you have no doubt surmised, the unique taste and aroma of these coffees are routinely attributed to the fact that the beans have been chemically modified by the acids and enzymes in the animal's digestive tract before they're excreted and harvested. Less frequently observed but more to the point, in my opinion, is a characteristic of all members of the civet family which surely influences the fragrance of the beans: "anal scent glands that secrete a fluid with a musky odor" (American Heritage Dictionary).

I'll take mine with cream, sugar, and a gas mask, please.
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/foo.../kopi_luak.htm

Here is some TMI for you, I hope you catch this just before lunch!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAoc66T6ZOc

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Here is some TMI for you, I hope you catch this just before lunch!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAoc66T6ZOc

how to eat Casu marzu

Casu Marzu is a type of pecorino cheese infested with thousands of wriggling maggots. If the maggots are still wriggling, then it's okay to eat (if you have a strong stomach). If the maggots aren't wriggling, that means the cheese has become toxic.
    However, Casu Marzu is quite real. It's been described in a number of newspapers and magazines including The Wall Street Journal and Bon Appetit. Taras Grescoe recently wrote about it in The Devil's Picnic: A Tour of Everything the Governments of the World Don't Want You to Try.

Apparently Casu Marzu isn't even the most disgusting food Sardinians eat. According to a 2004 article in Australian Magazine, that honor goes to 'tordi':

These are small, 10cm-long songbirds that feed on the island's plentiful myrtle berries. They are netted and poached, then served cold, three or four at a time, garnished with myrtle leaves. Their eyes are black, haunting, their necks spindly. They look like a plateful of baby dinosaurs. You are supposed to eat them whole - everything but the beak - in a few crunches.

If one is going to try some Casu Marzu, I think the perfect drink to wash it down would be some Army Worm Wine.

When disturbed, the larvae can jump for distances up to 15 cm (6 inches), prompting recommendations of eye protection for those eating the cheese. Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming; others do not.