1. #1 Anybody ever read Nostradamus? 
    And is this information right?

http://nostradamusspeaks.tripod.com/

Nostradamus speaks of a third anti-Christ who is more hideous than all the others combined. Some say Sadaam Hussein, the dictator from Iraq, could be this evil tyrant. Others say that he has not yet appeared. What does Nostradamus say about this third anti-Christ? First, Nostradamus tells us he will come from the Middle East.

Out of the country of Greater Arabia
    Shall be born a strong master of Mohammed...
    He will enter Europe wearing a blue turban.
    He will be the terror of mankind.
    Never more horror.

Here, Nostradamus says that a man from Greater Arabia will lead his forces on an invasion through Europe. This invasion will start a third world war that will be far worse than all the other wars put together . When will all this take place? In one quatrain Nostradamus gives us an exact date in which the war will be well under way.

In the year 1999 and seven months
    From the sky will come the great King of Terror.
    He will bring back to life the King of the Mongols;
    Before and after war reigns.

Nostradamus predicts the war will begin shortly before the year 1999 . He also tells us how long the war will last.

The war will last seven and twenty years.

Nostradamus says that the war will be so terrible that the world will come face to face with final annihilation. Here, he implies that the war might involve some kind of horrible weapon, possibly nuclear. Nostradamus tells what the first target will be.

The sky will burn at forty-five degrees.
    Fire approaches the great new city.

In this phrase, Nostradamus refers to a great city in the new world of America near forty-five degrees latitude. Experts agree this could only be New York.

By fire he will destroy their city,
    A cold and cruel heart,
    Blood will pour,
    Mercy to none.

Although Nostradamus 's predictions for our future sound frightening he does give us some hope by telling us how this third world war will end. He says it will end as a result of an unexpected alliance.

When those of the Northern Pole are united,
    In the East will be great fear and dread...
    One day the two great leaders will be friends;
    Their great powers will be seen to grow.
    The New Land will be at the height of its power:
    To the man of blood the number is reported.

The new land was a common term used by Nostradamus to refer to what we now call America. The countries of the northern pole could be Russia and the United States. We have recently seen the breakdown of Communism in Russia and an increasing friendship between Russia and the U.S. .
    Mods, if this is Lounge material, feel free to move it.

It's years since I tried to read Nostradamus, but a lot of the modern interpretations are based on wishful thinking and creative additions. His original work was a coded commentary on the political events of the time, Nostradamus didn't believe he was prophesying anything. That said it is huge fun to try and allocate events to the quatrains.
    Some more info here:
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s45741.htm

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    And is this information right?

Mods, if this is Lounge material, feel free to move it.

The information is pure Nostradamus but the sheika in the blue turban is yet to come !He will destroy Israel or at least try but fail !

but New York City is not at 45 degrees latitude (it's all of 300 miles to the south), and the New City (as ever in Nostradamus) is Villeneuve-sur-Lot in France ('Villeneuve', like 'Naples', *means* 'new city') -- which IS roughly at 45 degrees.

Is there to be no Antichrist with a blue turban, then, calling down nuclear missiles on New York, as in the film?
    Not if Nostradamus himself is to be believed. For him, the target of the Antichrist was always going to be *Europe* -- and, moreover, he would eventually be defeated.

Taken as predictions, the writings of Nostradamus have zero value.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Taken as predictions, the writings of Nostradamus have zero value.
    Henry the second of France wouldn't agree with you or his Queen, Catherine.

"Taken as predictions, the writings of Nostradamus have zero value ." HuH ??
    Abstract

On June 30, 1559, King Henry II of France (1519-1559), against the advice of his court ministers, participated in a fateful joust. The wooden lance of his younger opponent pierced the King's headgear, shattered into fragments, and penetrated his right orbit and temple. The King survived for 11 days following the mortal wound and was treated by two of the most distinguished physicians of the Renaissance: Ambroise Parť (1510-1590), the master surgeon, and Andreas Vesalius (1514-1564), the great anatomist. The unfortunate event, the nature of the injury, and the medical consultation between these eminent physicians should all be of interest to neurosurgeons. The historical consequences of this event are briefly reviewed.

Nostradamus, a French physician of Jewish descent, was born in the town of St. Remy. He was schooled in the humanities at Avignon and subsequently graduated from medical school at the famed Montpelier, graduating "with great eclat."(16) Nostradamus distinguished himself as a physician during the plague that broke out in 1546, spending 3 years treating those afflicted (this epidemic claimed his wife and two children). The people of the town of Aix were so moved and grateful for his work during those perilous times that they rewarded him with a modest pension. It was after he had remarried that he began to compose quatrains, short four-line prophetic enigmatic verses, written as epigrams during periods of solitude.

As a result of his gift for prophecy, he became Catherine de Medici's court consultant in the occult. The famous quatrain he composed, which presumably prophesied the death of King Henry II, reads:

The Lion shall overcome the old
    on the field of war in a single combat (duelle);
    He will pierce his eyes in a cage of gold
    This is the first of two lappings, then he dies a cruel death.(16)

As predicted by the quatrain, the King was mortally wounded. His younger opponent's wooden lance pierced the King's headgear, shattered into fragments, blinded him in the right eye, and penetrated his right orbit and temple (Fig. 2).(2) The King was obtunded. Noting contemporary observers, Andreas Vesalius wrote, "Upon receiving the wound, the King appeared about to fall first from one side and then from the other, but eventually, by his own effort, he managed to keep his saddle. After he had dismounted and was surrounded by spectators running forward from the crowd he showed loss of consciousness, although he later ascended the steps to his chamber with hardly a totter."

Here is a copy of Nostradamus letter to Henry II warning him of the disaster. However it is not only a letter that forewarns the King about his jousting accident. It is an epistle that also contains many of Nostradamus future prophecies for mankind.

Last edited by megimoo; 06-21-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Banned
    I've only read snippets, but his work inspired a wonderful song from that archetypal "roadie," Al Stewart...

Nostradamus

In the east the wind is blowing the boats across the sea
    And their sails will fill the morning and their cries ring out to me

Oh, the more it changes, the more it stays the same
    And the hand just re-arranges the players in the game

Oh, I had a dream
    It seemed I stood alone
    And the veil of all the years
    Goes sinking from my eyes like a stone

A king shall fall and put to death by the English parliament shall be
    Fire and plague to London come in the year of six and twenties three
    An emperor of France shall rise who will be born near Italy