Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ann View Post
    Confession time: I once said "you people" to a young Black woman. I was at a huge medical complex, and asked directions. She guided me through a twisty, turny, narrow back passageway, obviously meant for employees, and not for patients. And I said, "How long does it take 'you people' to find your way around here?!?" Of course I meant "you people who work here." Hope she didn't take it as a racist statement.
    Shee-iitt, we said that all the time back 'n forth growing-up with black kids. Except we added a 's' at the end of 'people' to make it sound more ghetto-y.

" If I say it, it's wrong. But if you-guys say it, it's okay. "

" That's right. "

It was around the-- I wanna say Calgon the commercial where the Asian wife hears her Asian husband tell a white woman who asked how either the laundry or dishes were cleaned so fast... He answered: " It's an ancient Chinese secret. " There's some banter after the wife shows the woman it's an American product. The frustrated husband alludes to "You Americans. " But the commercial was pulled and replaced with the husband saying: " You people. "

It was relatively controversial because the product was relatively popular.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    Shee-iitt, we said that all the time back 'n forth growing-up with black kids. Except we added a 's' at the end of 'people' to make it sound more ghetto-y.

" If I say it, it's wrong. But if you-guys say it, it's okay. "

" That's right. "

It was around the-- I wanna say Calgon the commercial where the Asian wife hears her Asian husband tell a white woman who asked how either the laundry or dishes were cleaned so fast... He answered: " It's an ancient Chinese secret. " There's some banter after the wife shows the woman it's an American product. The frustrated husband alludes to "You Americans. " But the commercial was pulled and replaced with the husband saying: " You people. "

It was relatively controversial because the product was relatively popular.
    Calgon is absolutely correct!

It is a trivia question I've asked. My childhood memories of that commercial inspired the writing of it.

Context is important when using words. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed George Carlin and his analysis of language so much.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender