Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 DU photographer convicted of failing to show sufficient respect to police... 
    remember this guy?

the "photojournalist" that couldn't be bothered with respecting police lines or commands?

well,

"DU photographer convicted of failing to show sufficient respect to police..."

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3474931

ouch, mr. photojournalist. i guess there are some rules we all have to follow. but if you bitch and complain rather loudly enough?

sometimes the good guys get to smack your ass down.

booya. ouch, mr. photojournalist...

I don't like that "properly differential to the police" line but I can understand when it comes to many of these Liberal idiots where a good tazing is in order.

I've observed many police, mostly on TV, some personally, who desrved to be arrested themselves. They have a hard, thankless job but some tend to fall woefully short on professionalism.

Banned
    RaginInMiami is an idiot, but I have to side with the DUmmies on this one. If you read his blog, he was found Not Guilty on two misdemeoners, including "failure to obey a police order," and Guilty of "resisting arrest without violence." This looks like a situation where he stopped to take pictures of an arrest, something he has a perfectly legal right to do, and was told by the police to go away, something they do not have the right to do unless he was interferring with the arrest (whcih he apparently wasn't). So after he refuses, they arrest him to which he doesn't "violently resist," i.e., he did not physically resist. So, how do you resist otherwise? Say "no I don't want to be arrested!" ?

This seems like a clear cut mis-use of police authority. The DUmmies are right.

Sounds to me like the conviction was spot on. You do not have a right to resist arrest merely because you think what the cops are charging you with is wrong. Otherwise everyone who thought they were being falsely charged would be able to resist arrest without facing any consequences. If you feel you are being charged unfairly you should let yourself be arrested and then pursue the matter in the judicial system. Note that the cops do not have the right ot find him guilty on the spot, merely to charge him. Similarly, he does not have the right to find himself innocent on the spot. I suspect that this is why a JURY convicted him.

The cops were probably being pricks but all he did was prove that he's a bigger one.

A DUmmie named RaginginMiami gets sentenced to anger management. :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    Sounds to me like the conviction was spot on. You do not have a right to resist arrest merely because you think what the cops are charging you with is wrong. Otherwise everyone who thought they were being falsely charged would be able to resist arrest without facing any consequences. If you feel you are being charged unfairly you should let yourself be arrested and then pursue the matter in the judicial system. Note that the cops do not have the right ot find him guilty on the spot, merely to charge him. Similarly, he does not have the right to find himself innocent on the spot. I suspect that this is why a JURY convicted him.

The cops were probably being pricks but all he did was prove that he's a bigger one.

A DUmmie named RaginginMiami gets sentenced to anger management. :D
    While what you say is correct, it opens the door for a wide range of abuses and this seems like one of them. Given the morass of laws, regulations, and restrictions we have in this country, the cops can always find something to arrest you for 24/7 if they so desire. If you then "non violently" resist, I'm still not sure how you do that, you can be convicted of a misdemeoner (which, in this day and age of integrated communications, is not insignificant) that is a result of nothing you originally did.

It sounds like that's what happened here. In such cases, wherein the only conviction is of that of resisting, some sort of independent review of the cops' actions needs to be required.

If you then "non violently" resist, I'm still not sure how you do that,
    My guess is that if they tell you that you under arrest and you backtalk or tell them they can't or sit down and not comply with their orders, all without getting physical, that would consitute non-violent resistance.

I'm not a lawyer- but I do play one on the Internets.:D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    My guess is that if they tell you that you under arrest and you backtalk or tell them they can't or sit down and not comply with their orders, all without getting physical, that would consitute non-violent resistance.

I'm not a lawyer- but I do play one on the Internets.:D
    DOH! You're right obviously. Thanks.

As a news videographer I've been in RIM's position numerous times. I've been told to move from an area that the public had access to but I was singled out because I had a news camera. I've told the cop that I had a right to be there because the public was there. I was threatened with arrest. I moved.

I then called our desk and they called the PIO. The PIO found me and moved me CLOSER to the scene and chewed out the cop that told me to move.

It's a tightrope walk. You need to do your job but you have to be smart about it. Not a smart ass.

ultimately the cop will win because you'll wind up in a holding cell for a few hours minus your shoelaces and belt.

RIM deserved what he got. My professional opinion.
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by newshutr View Post
    As a news videographer I've been in RIM's position numerous times. I've been told to move from an area that the public had access to but I was singled out because I had a news camera. I've told the cop that I had a right to be there because the public was there. I was threatened with arrest. I moved.

I then called our desk and they called the PIO. The PIO found me and moved me CLOSER to the scene and chewed out the cop that told me to move.

It's a tightrope walk. You need to do your job but you have to be smart about it. Not a smart ass.

ultimately the cop will win because you'll wind up in a holding cell for a few hours minus your shoelaces and belt.

RIM deserved what he got. My professional opinion.
    There is no question that, as you point out, RIM could have handled it better and almost certainly mouthed off to the cops. However, as far as I know, being a smart ass is not against the law and cops should not be given the discretion to make it so.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I believe in being respectful to the police. But deferential? No.

They work for me. I don't work for them.

I am a citizen, not a subject.

Most police officers are excellent and professional. I appreciate what they do.

But if our constitutional rights don't exist on the street where we live, then they are merely theoretical and don't actually exist in any real sense at all.

Having said that, This DU Photographer was an ass.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!