Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    However, as far as I know, being a smart ass is not against the law and cops should not be given the discretion to make it so.
    Kind of a funny story...years ago my best friend was arrested for resisting arrest. Long story short, her dad had started mouthing off to someone at the bar ( I was bartending) and someone thought there might be a fight and called the cops. Cops show up and dad wouldn't behave so my best friend kept trying to quiet him down and settle everything. Cops warned her to stop talking. She didn't. They arrested her for resisting arrest. My thought was "how can you be resisting arrest when all they did was tell you to be quiet?". Anyway, I got to call her mom and explain that her daughter and husband were in jail.:eek:
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

My feelings on the 1st Amendment is that your right to mouth off, when a police officer is attempting to secure and maintain peace, is momentarily suspended - when that officer says so. Like getting stopped in your vehicle - when he advises you of his intent to control the situation, say when you've got a couple of buddies in your car, you're under temporary arrest. Best to just STFU and answer exactly what is asked of you - and you'll accelerate your extrication from that situation. Also best to keep in mind that the police have all day to make your stop - in a car or on foot - a living Hell and some are just looking for a mouthy smartass to exercise on.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Kind of a funny story...years ago my best friend was arrested for resisting arrest. Long story short, her dad had started mouthing off to someone at the bar ( I was bartending) and someone thought there might be a fight and called the cops. Cops show up and dad wouldn't behave so my best friend kept trying to quiet him down and settle everything. Cops warned her to stop talking. She didn't. They arrested her for resisting arrest. My thought was "how can you be resisting arrest when all they did was tell you to be quiet?". Anyway, I got to call her mom and explain that her daughter and husband were in jail.:eek:
    Reminds one of what Kerouac said of the police in On the Road back in the early 50's...

The American police are involved in psychological warfare against those Americans who don't frighten them with imposing papers and threats. It's a Victorian police force; it peers out of musty windows and wants to inquire about everything, and can make crimes if the crimes don't exist to its satisfaction.

One framework for how cops treat people:

When you are first approached by a cop, depending on the siutation, they classify you as either a citizen or an asshole. If you're classified by them as a citizen and you maintain proper respect you will retain your classification as a citizen and be treated accordingly. But, if you mouth off or disrespect them or start playing street lawyer, you are quickly reclassified as an asshole and that's how you'll be treaated. You can go from being a citizen to an asshole in their eyes but the converse is generally not true.

If you've been classified as an asshole your best bet is to just STFU and do what you're told.

Cops do not work for YOU. They are public servants, not private servants.

Police are trained to gain and maintain control of a situation. It's their job. The more you try to control a situation the harder they will be on you. RaginginMiami found that out the hard way.

Some cops are good, some are bad. If you're lucky you get a good one.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    One framework for how cops treat people:

When you are first approached by a cop, depending on the siutation, they classify you as either a citizen or an asshole. If you're classified by them as a citizen and you maintain proper respect you will retain your classification as a citizen and be treated accordingly. But, if you mouth off or disrespect them or start playing street lawyer, you are quickly reclassified as an asshole and that's how you'll be treaated. You can go from being a citizen to an asshole in their eyes but the converse is generally not true.

If you've been classified as an asshole your best bet is to just STFU and do what you're told.

Cops do not work for YOU. They are public servants, not private servants.

Police are trained to gain and maintain control of a situation. It's their job. The more you try to control a situation the harder they will be on you. RaginginMiami found that out the hard way.

Some cops are good, some are bad. If you're lucky you get a good one.
    When I first approach or am approached by a police officer, I classify him or her as either a decent professional, or as a badeg-heavy asshole. Both exist.

My rights should not be subject to the whim of opinion or 'classification' of a cop who is an asshole.

Either way, he or she does work for ME because I am a member of the public that offers him or her employment.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    When I first approach or am approached by a police officer, I classify him or her as either a decent professional, or as a badeg-heavy asshole. Both exist.

My rights should not be subject to the whim of opinion or 'classification' of a cop who is an asshole.

Either way, he or she does work for ME because I am a member of the public that offers him or her employment.
    He DOES NOT work for YOU. If he did he woudln't give you speeding tickets. He works for the society as a whole, not it's individual members. But keep that attitude and you'll be classified as an asshole every single time. And what's your DU name? Obviously you think society and the country should revolve around YOU.

ummm...

my personal opinion... when an officer of the law tells me to step away? i step away.

when officers of the law are trying to get control of a situation, i let them.

if i am a self-important blogger with a camera and i automatically assume that because i believe myself some sort of "half-assed" journalist because i am a blogger with a camera, and above the law...

well, then proceed at your own risk. you go, bloggers.

if society, later and after having reviewed the facts, makes the blogger pay a price for his arrogance? so be it...

be loud. be proud. bloggers. but if your ass winds up in jail? stfu...

Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    My guess is that if they tell you that you under arrest and you backtalk or tell them they can't or sit down and not comply with their orders, all without getting physical, that would consitute non-violent resistance.

I'm not a lawyer- but I do play one on the Internets.:D
    This is only a personal example of police assholism that could happen to anyone:

I was walking in a group of thousands along a narrow walk to attend a college football game. There was a fence on one side and street on the other. I had my two children with me and we were toward the outside of the crowd on the street side.

The crowd was 90% drunk already and I was attempting to keep my children shielded. We were pushed out into the street about 1 foot for approximately 10 seconds when a booming voice asked if I was "stupid or what?" I replied to the answer that "no I was not stupid." Apparently Officer Asshole wanted me to answer in the affirmative so he signalled me over and asked if "I had been drinking and had I ever been arrested." I said "Yes" and "No" respectively and he aswered, "well that's about to change."

Bottom line:
    I did not get arrested.
    He was and is most likely still an asshole. :mad:
    I was not doing anything wrong or illegal. :mad:
    I no longer drink.

The police should not be allowed to arrest anyone for subjective reasons. There needs to be some restraint on these guys. I'm not anti-police,, but I am president of the anti-asshole league.

Banned
    Let's face it. A large number of the police in this country are persons who couldn't get a job doing anything else and enjoy their little power trips. If you look at, for example, the show Cops, you'll see numerous instances wherein a cop stops a car, is suspicious that the car may contain drugs (particularly that evil, mind-bending marijuana), effectively tells the guy he's going to search his car (asks his permission and tells him if he doesn't give it, he'll wait there until the sniffer dogs get there), and finds a minor stash of drugs. Think about it, folks. For every incident that they televise wherein the cop actually find drugs, there's probably 10 in which the same sequence of events takes place and he finds nothing. But, in lieu of getting laid by his fat wife that evening, he's gotten off by intimidating some poor schmuck.

Being a police officer in our country today (I don't know if it was different in the past) does not attract the "best and the brightest," but all too often the "dumbest and the desparate." How could it be otherwise given the salaries offered. In NYC, that bastion of Law and Order, cops make a starting salary of $25000. While we'd like to think of them as Lanny Brisco or Joe Friday, they are more often than not Chief Wiggam (at best).
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 06-23-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Let's face it. A large number of the police in this country are persons who couldn't get a job doing anything else and enjoy their little power trips. If you look at, for example, the show Cops, you'll see numerous instances wherein a cop stops a car, is suspicious that the car may contain drugs (particularly that evil, mind-bending marijuana), effectively tells the guy he's going to search his car (asks his permission and tells him if he doesn't give it, he'll wait there until the sniffer dogs get there), and finds a minor stash of drugs.
    In my Criminal Procedures class at law school, after we reviewed a case and topic, we would watch an episode of COPS to see exactly how it is not supposed to be done.

However, although there are a lot of cops who are jerks, there are a lot that are just trying to do their job and don't like it when some "photojournalist" starts shouting about free speech and his rights, especially when the cop knows he is acting appropriately. The cops have one line in this story, the DUmmie has another. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, and I would wager that the police officer was not singling out this guy.

Besides, community service and probation isn't a harsh sentence. Don't DUmmies always brag about how they love to help the community? 100 hours should be easy!