1. #1 Long-time Miami Dolphins coach and two-time Super Bowl winner Don Shula dies at 90 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    By Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN
    Updated 11:00 AM ET, Mon May 4, 2020

(CNN)Don Shula, the longtime Miami Dolphins coach and architect of the only perfect season in NFL history, died at his South Florida home Monday morning, according to the team.

"Don Shula was the patriarch of the Miami Dolphins for 50 years," the team said in a statement. "He brought the winning edge to our franchise and put the Dolphins and the city of Miami in the national sports scene."

The 90-year-old is survived by his wife, Mary Anne, and children Dave, Donna, Sharon, Anne and Mike.

RIP, always loved the Dolphins.

LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    By Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN
    Updated 11:00 AM ET, Mon May 4, 2020

RIP, always loved the Dolphins.

LINK
    A lot of famous people have died over the last month or so.

March
    02 – James Lipton, Actor/acting coach/writer – dean emeritus of the Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University and host/producer of TV talk show Inside the Actors Studio (1994-’18) – age 93 (bladder cancer)

03 – Roscoe Born, Actor – appeared on several TV soap opera’s, biggest role was as Mitch Laurence on “One Life to Live” (1985-’12) – age 69 (suicide)

04 – Barbara Martin, Singer – one of the original members of The Supremes (1960-’62), “(He’s) Seventeen”,”Your Heart Belongs to Me” – age 76

08 – Max von Sydow, Actor(SE) – played Jesus Christ in “The Greatest Story Ever Told” (1965), Woody Allen’s Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), Minority Report (2002) – age 90

08 – Johnny Yune, Actor/comedian – starred in They Call Me Bruce? (1982) and They Still Call Me Bruce (1987) – age 85 (dementia)

16 – Stuart Whitman, Actor – starred in movies; The Comancheros (1961), The Longest Day (1962); TV shows Highway Patrol (1955–1957), Cimarron Strip (1967) – age 92 (skin cancer)

17 – Lyle Waggoner, Actor – a cast member on “The Carol Burnett Show” (1967-’74) and Steve Trevor on “Wonder Woman” (1975-’79) – age 84

17 – Alfred Worden, NASA Astronaut – was with NASA 1966-’75, Command Module Pilot for the Apollo 15 lunar mission (1971) – age 88 (stroke)

20 – Kenny Rogers, C&W singer/songwriter/actor – sang with The First Edition – “Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town” (1969) and solo won a Grammy Award for “The Gambler”, also starred in movies and TV shows and – age 81

24 – Terrence McNally, Playwright – Kiss of the Spider Woman (1992),Ragtime (1996),The Full Monty (2000); inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters – age 81 (COVID-19)

26 – Mark Blum, Actor – played Richard Mason in movie “Crocodile Dundee” (1986) and Denny Gordon in “Blind Date” (1987) – age 69 (COVID-19)

26 – Curly Neal, Pro Basketball Player – played with the Harlem Globetrotters (1963-’85) as their chief ball handler in 6,000 games in 97 countries – age 77

28 – John Callahanon, Actor – played Edmund Grey on TV soap opera “All My Children” (1992-’05) and Dr. Richard Baker on “Days of Our Lives” (2008-’10) – age 66 (stroke)

28 – David Schramm, Actor – played Roy Biggins the rival airline owner on TV series “Wings” (1990-’97) – age 73

29 – Joe Diffie, C&W Singer – a few of his #1 hits: “Home”, “If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets)” and “Third Rock from the Sun” – age 61 (COVID-19)

29 – Alan Merrill, Singer/songwriter – started the group Arrows, biggest hit “I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll” – age 69 (COVID-19)

30 – Bill Withers, Singer/songwriter/musician – wrote and performed “Ain’t No Sunshine” (1971), “Lean on Me” (1972) won 3 Grammy Awards, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (2015) – age 81 (heart disease)

31 – Andrew Jack, Actor – had various parts in Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (2015), Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) and GoldenEye (1995) – age 76 (COVID-19)

April
    01 – Ellis Marsalis Jr., Jazz pianist/educator – father to Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo and Jason; inducted into The Louisiana Music Hall of Fame – age 85 (COVID-19)

02 – Logan Williams, Child actor (CA) – played young Barry Allen in “The Flash” (2014-’15) – age 16

04 – Forrest Compton, Actor – played Mike Karr attorney on TV show “The Edge of Night” (1970-’84) – age 94

04 – Tom Dempsey, NFL Football player – was a placekicker for numerous teams, held record for longest field goal, 63 yards which held for 43 years (1970-’13) – age 73 (COVID-19)

05 – Honor Blackman, Actress – played Bond girl Pussy Galore in the movie “Goldfinger” (1964) and Cathy Gale in british series “The Avengers” – age 94 (natural causes)

05 – Lee Fierro, Actress – played Mrs. Kintner in the “Jaws” movie franchise – age 91 (COVID-19)

06 – James Drury, Actor – had the title role in TV show “The Virginian” as the ranch foremen (1962-’71) – age 85 (natural causes)

06 – Al Kaline, Pro Baseball player – played for Detroit Tigers entire career (1953-’74) batted 3007 hits, Baseball Hall of Fame 1980 – age 85 (natural)

07 – John Prine, Country folk singer/songwriter – popular songs: “Angel from Montgomery” and “Paradise”, won 3 Grammy Awards nominated for 12 – age 73 (COVID-19)

15 – Brian Dennehy, Actor – played Sheriff Will Teasle in movie “First Blood” (1982) and Cocoon (1985) – age 81 (cardiac arrest)

16 – Gene Deitch, Animator/comics artist – created animated cartoons Munro and Tom Terrific, worked on Popeye and Tom and Jerry – age 95

17 – Matthew Seligman, Bass guitarist (UK) – played with The Soft Boys and the Thompson Twins – age 64 (COVID-19)

20 – Tom Lester, Actor – played Eb Dawson on TV series “Green Acres” (1965-’71) and “Return to Green Acres” – age 81 (Parkinson’s disease)

22 – Shirley Knight, Actress – appeared in movies, TV and theater; Nominated for two Academy Awards, two Golden Globes and won three Emmy Awards – age 83 (natural causes)

24 – Harold Reid, C&W Singer – original member of The Statler Brothers (1955-’02), “Flowers on the Wall” (1966) won three Grammy Awards and trhree AMA Awarde – age 80 (kidney failure)

29 – Jill Gascoine, Actress(UK) – played Detective Maggie Forbes in the ITV series “The Gentle Touch” (1980-’84) and “C.A.T.S. Eyes” (1985-’87) – age 83 (Alzheimer’s disease)
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    A lot of famous people have died over the last month or so.

04 – Tom Dempsey, NFL Football player – was a placekicker for numerous teams, held record for longest field goal, 63 yards which held for 43 years (1970-’13) – age 73 (COVID-19)
    I remember seeing him in the Guinness book of world records when I was in elementary school. He had half a foot and no hand on one of his arms. Without looking it up, I believe he was with the Saints when he kicked the 63 yard field goal. I could be wrong about that.

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Tom Dempsey, was allowed to wear a special shoe, and in the days he played football was real football not this watered down don't touch anyone BS. Some of these stars today would have had their career shortened by the real football players. You should have seen Jim Brown run over people in his day in the mud and snow, he looked like a big truck bearing down on you. Yeah football was once a great sport to watch, now not so much with all the disrespect and insults from no more than thugs employed to carry a ball and run fast... Most learned how to run fast out running their local policemen. Myself I was a Dallas fan but then everyone was a Dolphin fan during their winning reign.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    Tom Dempsey, was allowed to wear a special shoe, and in the days he played football was real football not this watered down don't touch anyone BS. Some of these stars today would have had their career shortened by the real football players. You should have seen Jim Brown run over people in his day in the mud and snow, he looked like a big truck bearing down on you. Yeah football was once a great sport to watch, now not so much with all the disrespect and insults from no more than thugs employed to carry a ball and run fast... Most learned how to run fast out running their local policemen. Myself I was a Dallas fan but then everyone was a Dolphin fan during their winning reign.
    The most satisfying moment for me as far as the NFL is concerned was watching the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl and deny Belichick his perfect season.
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    It’s way too loaded with profanity and racial slurs to post here, but if you want some fun, listen to what Richard Pryor said about Jim Brown in his comedy bit. It’s before my time, but evidently he would drag five or six guys down the field. I know Jim Brown from The Dirty Dozen in 1967 which is also before my time.

Both Dempsey and Shula cheated.

Dempsey used a squared-off chunk of wood to kick the FG.
    Shula convinced a snowblower-guy to clear a patch of snow during a game, so his kicker could kick a FG.

" And that's how it is... " --Walter Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    Both Dempsey and Shula cheated.

Dempsey used a squared-off chunk of wood to kick the FG.
    Shula convinced a snowblower-guy to clear a patch of snow during a game, so his kicker could kick a FG.

" And that's how it is... " --Walter Cronkite
    Who cares. Miami won
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit