Thread: Colder in Alabama than Alaska,January 17, 2009

1. #1 Colder in Alabama than Alaska,January 17, 2009 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Alabama was colder than Alaska, water fountains froze into ice sculptures in South Carolina and Florida shivered through a brush of Arctic air blast that deadened car batteries in the Northeast and prompted scattered Midwest power outages.

As Southerners awaited an expected weekend thaw, the Northeast persisted under the bitterly cold air from Canada that sent temperatures plunging in some places below minus 30 degrees and left even longtime residents reluctant to venture outdoors.

The low in Knoxville on Friday was 5 degrees, 23 degrees below our normal low for that day. The high was 22, 24 degrees below the normal high, according to the National Weather Service.

The record low for Jan. 16 in Knoxville came in 1972 at 1 and the record high in 1932 at 74.

Quentin Masters braved the chilly weather, making a trip to a Syracuse, N.Y., post office to mail his sister a gift for her birthday Monday.

"It was almost too cold to come down," he said, but he added, "I don't want to be late."

Single-digit temperatures and subzero wind chills were expected in western New York through the weekend, with more seasonable conditions moving in early next week.

To Southerners, who rarely see temperatures so cold, the icebox-like weather was the most jarring. Construction worker Allen Johnson wore a gray beanie, flannel shirt, long johns and boots as he stopped for coffee in Montgomery, Ala., after an overnight low of 22 degrees Friday.

"No matter how bad it is, it could be worse we could be in Anchorage, Alaska," Johnson said. Actually, the temperature was about 20 degrees warmer in Anchorage on Friday.

Freezing temperatures threatened to kill picturesque Spanish moss hanging from Gulf Coast trees. In Spartanburg, S.C., a hard freeze coated a water fountain in shimmering icicles. And it was too cold to bet on dogs in West Virginia.

In Tennessee, Heather Davis, of NashvillePAW Magazine, watched her photographer unsuccessfully try to coax their cover model, a white poodle named Cotton, to pose outdoors for the animal publication. Cotton, who is up for adoption, ran to the car and didn't want to leave.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/ja...labama-alaska/

Wow very unusual for Alabama.

It is headed to the high 50's here in beautiful Colorado and the beginning of the week looks like mid 60's. :D
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

Wouldn't it be FUN if there was snow in Tampa for the superbowl :) It would take away and warm weather advantage the cards have . . . . :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Wouldn't it be FUN if there was snow in Tampa for the superbowl :) It would take away and warm weather advantage the cards have . . . . :D
    Well, the last time Tampa saw snow was 1977 (same goes for most of Central FL) with 0.2" accumulating...

The Great Blizzard of 1899 saw blizzard conditions near Tampa with "bay effect" snow accumulating to 2".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    You misspelled Eagles

and you say I am a lousy speller

Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    You misspelled Eagles

I knew I could count on getting a rise out of you!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    You misspelled Eagles

Are you the "New Mother Numbers" ?

Gwobal Woming is so bad dat all the cowld in da awrtic is being pushed away to da midwest. If ownly we awll could just stop gwobal woming.
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."
    -Ronald Reagan

Life is a story; if you stay on the same page forever you will never finish it.
    "There are days you are the pigeon and days you are the statue."

You misspelled Eagles

are you certain I misspelled it?? :p