1. #1 700 missing after Philippines typhoon sinks ferry 
    700 missing after Philippines typhoon sinks ferry

MANILA, Philippines (AP) -- Hundreds of passengers were feared trapped and may have died after their ferry capsized in the Philippines during Typhoon Fengshen, said two survivors who struggled to shore Sunday.

The storm left at least 155 dead, submerging entire communities and setting off landslides, said Sen. Richard Gordon, head of the national Red Cross, but there were concerns the death toll would jump dramatically.

The 72 people listed as missing did not include the more than 740 passengers and crew aboard the MV Princess of Stars, and worried relatives wept as they waited for news. Gordon said he has asked U.S. authorities for help in finding anyone who might still be alive inside the ferry and was told "they are going to try very, very hard."

A rescue ship battling huge waves and strong winds reached the ferry Sunday, one end jutting out of the water upside-down, more than 24 hours after it lost radio contact. There was no sign of survivors at the site, and only four people who were on board were known to have reached shore alive.

"They haven't seen anyone. They're scouring the area. They're studying the direction of the waves to determine where survivors may have drifted," coast guard spokesman Lt. Senior Grade Arman Balilo said.

Link
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Oh geez. This looks bad.

Having witnessed how they load these things, at a minimum of 50% over the design, I'm surprised this doesn't happen weekly. Dude at loading ramp / hand-clicker to count passengers / less deaths = nobrainer.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Having witnessed how they load these things, at a minimum of 50% over the design, I'm surprised this doesn't happen weekly. Dude at loading ramp / hand-clicker to count passengers / less deaths = nobrainer.
    While I agree with you, this looks more weather related than crowded conditions. Ferry/typhoon/typhoon usually wins.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    700?!? Must have had a bus on it.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar

Dang. They postponed the classes but the weather looks fine now. Dumb move. :mad:

The US sent the USNS Stockham and a P-3 Orion for rescue mission and 4 million Pesos aid (roughly $80,000) for the victims.

I want to personally thank our great ally, the US, for being there in time of our need. If this is what you're hated for by the caring Commies and the rest of the "intellectual" world then all I can say is keep up the bad work. ;)