Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Minneapolis neighborhoods face food desert after looting closes multiple stores 
    link

question everything (38,622 posts)

Minneapolis neighborhoods face food desert after looting closes multiple stores

With Cub, Target, two Aldi stores and many small markets damaged by rioting over the past week, Longfellow and about eight other neighborhoods have nearly become a food desert. Many residents of the area shop lower-priced stores such as Aldi or dollar stores. Two of those dollar stores — including Family Dollar on Lake Street — were destroyed in last week’s looting and violence that arose after George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis police custody.

(snip)

Amplifying the problem over the weekend and again on Monday was the fact that Metro Transit was not operating buses or trains. Public transportation will again be shut down on Tuesday. Sylvester Hudson walked about 40 minutes from Fort Snelling Apartments to the Cub Foods at E. 46th Street and Hiawatha Avenue. It is the only supermarket left in the Longfellow neighborhood along the light-rail line after four other supermarkets closed because of destruction during the protests.

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to catch a cab, so I’ll probably have to walk,” said Hudson, 70, who brought a two-wheeled cart for grocery transport, as he finished shopping at Cub Foods. “This is the only store left open in the neighborhood that I can walk to.”

(snip)

Business has been up more than 60% at Longfellow Market since the other stores were forced to close, according to manager Terry Mahowald. “We never planned to be this busy,” he said. “Everyone’s stressed. This is certainly not the way we wanted to increase traffic.” He plans to add more lower-priced, generic items to help keep prices reasonable for shoppers at the natural and organic grocery.

Mahowald thanked neighborhood volunteers for saving the Longfellow Market. “We’ve had nearly 25 people from the neighborhood guarding it every night since Tuesday,” he said.

https://www.startribune.com/minneapo...ots/570928442/

How shocking!! Right?
    Raine (24,852 posts)

1. These are the ones hurt the most by the the looters and

the vandals but gee it's just the loss of property NO it's much more then that!
    jimfields33 (3,033 posts)

2. That was predicted.
    MichMan (3,461 posts)

3. Can Mayor Frey order the closed stores to open due to the state of emergency ?
    They didn't bother to protect the stores. But they're supposed to ORDER them to clean up, order new food (with what money?) and open? For what? To be looted again?

They care soooooo much. An hour and 20 minutes after the OP was posted and these 3 comments are the only ones there.
    OBAMA'S H1N1 VIRUS: From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...1-pandemic.htm

Imagine that.

You see, boys and girls, that's what happens when you shit where you eat.

And I'm sure the left and the DUmp will say this is Trump's fault...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

MichMan (3,461 posts)

3. Can Mayor Frey order the closed stores to open due to the state of emergency ?

You should run for mayor with those problem solving skills.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    You vote for democrat politicians, go eat dirt.

Revelation 15:1
    And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I saw an interview on CNN last night with
    Don Lemon and the Mgt of the Cub food store. They
    were pandering to Lemon that they never report
    crimes like fake bills to da police. It was a new
    employee who didn't know the drill that called the
    cops. (Wonder if they fired him/her?)
    May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    In the Las Vegas riots years ago they burned the only welfare office there and after the riots the city refused to rebuilt and opened another across town that forced the morons to drive across town to get their free shit. The city did not rebuild the burned out building.

question everything (38,622 posts)

Minneapolis neighborhoods face food desert after looting closes multiple stores

With Cub, Target, two Aldi stores and many small markets damaged by rioting over the past week, Longfellow and about eight other neighborhoods have nearly become a food desert. Many residents of the area shop lower-priced stores such as Aldi or dollar stores. Two of those dollar stores — including Family Dollar on Lake Street — were destroyed in last week’s looting and violence that arose after George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis police custody.
    I guess the lessons from Watts, Detroit, and etc. were dismissed with, "OK Boomer". Target recently posted a list of stores that were going to be closed "until further notice". I'm guessing they were stores severely damaged by rioters and looters. The Minneapolis store that was looted is on the list. Found the list, https://corporate.target.com/press/r...closures-due-t

An Update on Temporary Target Store Closures
    MINNEAPOLIS - May 31, 2020

Stores closed until further notice:

Broadway Oakland, CA
    Buckhead South Atlanta, GA
    South Loop Chicago, IL
    Lake Street Minneapolis, MN (goal of opening in late 2020)
    Uptown Minneapolis, MN
    Washington Square W Philadelphia, PA
    Timeline of US Coronavirus Events & Actions: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index...tml#msg2169385

Timeline of China Coronavirus Events & Actions: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index...tml#msg2184146

Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    Imagine that.

You see, boys and girls, that's what happens when you shit where you eat.

And I'm sure the left and the DUmp will say this is Trump's fault...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Of course.

They encouraged the looting , the burning , people getting hurt , people getting killed.

ANTIFA went down to get in on the action; wonder how many places got torched by the boo boo ninjas.

And when the fires die down, when people see that all the stuff they had is gone, the Moonbats will blame everyone who nothing to do with it.

I remember when the country had a big fight over Terri Shivo. People on Democratic Underground wanted her feeding tube pulled, saying she had the right to die ( when in fact it was her worthless Husband who wanted her dead after he spent all her settlement money ). The weeks went by, and finally her tube was pulled and a few days later Terri was dead. Right after the news came out someone DU ( after all they said about pulling the plug)
    Said " Damn those Republicans for killing Terri"

That's what these jerkazoids do, they blame people they hate when their acts go bad because in their little minds they can never do anything wrong and their shit don't stink.

Love, Uncle Danny.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Let 'em starve !
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

Quote Originally Posted by Banacek View Post
    Let 'em starve !
    Many will and are there.

It's peanut-butter sandwiches and city-water. I know the feeling.