Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Those who go around saying that everything's fine because we've had two quarters of .6% growth or because "I'm not affected at all," are merely kidding themselves. Moreover, there are no short-term fixes.
    True; all we can control is our own preparation to deal with slowdowns or hard times. See the day thread I started.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We have largely lost our sense of proportion and history. This is not the worst time in history or even close to it.
    Basically it boils down to what George Will said, the pain threshold has been lowered quite drastically and now everyone is a crying baby.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003
    To borrow a line from CU's own Goldwater.... "I wuv you, Ginger". Great post.
    Holla back, girl. ;)

Thanks, guys. :)

Really, having listened to relatives who had experienced the Depression and WWII along with crop failures, tornadoes, ill-advised speculation, and punishing working conditions, we really are a bunch of sissies.

Thanks, guys. :)

Really, having listened to relatives who had experienced the Depression and WWII along with crop failures, tornadoes, ill-advised speculation, and punishing working conditions, we really are a bunch of sissies.
    Outstanding.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Power CUer
    I remember Larry Miller, the comedian, talking about how his father fought in World War II, then came home and worked two jobs full time to support five children.

Miller said, "If I go to the bank and the dry cleaner in the same afternoon, I have to lie down."

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Rush just translated this article : Vote Obama :D
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I remember Larry Miller, the comedian, talking about how his father fought in World War II, then came home and worked two jobs full time to support five children.

Miller said, "If I go to the bank and the dry cleaner in the same afternoon, I have to lie down."
    I think that's both funny and true. People have a lot of unrealistic expectations and then when a crisis really does happen (a real crisis, not an existential crisis), they have no coping skills at all - they just collapse.

A lot of people complain about how stressful and awful their lives are today. The reality looks a lot different from up close. Most of their "stress" is self-generated. It isn't the kind of real stress that comes from working two jobs and trying to figure out how to serve beans for the 5th straight day in a row.

Somewhere along the line we've stopped solving problems and considering problem-solving as a normal part of adult life and we're just talking about problems as though they are a catastrophic intrusion that nobody can resolve. :(

Banned
    I think that's both funny and true. People have a lot of unrealistic expectations and then when a crisis really does happen (a real crisis, not an existential crisis), they have no coping skills at all - they just collapse.
    Existential crises can be quite devastating as well...

Power CUer

Hurts? Of course it hurts!
    - No one ever suffers but you.
    There's a man all over for you, blaming his boots for the faults of his feet.

Only for the poor audience.