Thread: Everything seemingly is spinning out of control

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Don’t worry - since we can’t use the "R" word, then there’s no way we can slip into one. So says ‘The Decider.’
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Don’t worry - since we can’t use the "R" word, then there’s no way we can slip into one. So says ‘The Decider.’
    Right! After all we had .6% and .6% for two consecutive quarters, after deducting inflation calculated NOT to include gas and food. No "R" word. Check! :D

Banned
    My stocks in May went up big time--not so hot in June but that's to be expected by the old saying "go away in May"

Oil will keep going up until the dummies in DC get serious about new drilling, nuke plants, etc.

An increase in GDP is better than a decrease. BTW, that .6% was upgraded to 1% Yea

Housing starts-- need to sell the ones on the market before a shit-pot load of new ones are built. However, in my part of the country, the economy and the housing market is doing very well.

I am happy; everthing is coming up roses. Doomers and gloomers should sit in the back of the bus. BTW, Greenspan has been parroting the word recession since that stupid fucker left as Fed. Chair.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 06-27-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    My stocks in May went up big time--not so hot in June but that's to be expected by the old saying "go away in May"
    My institutional portfolios behaved the same as yours. I did ok in June with my day trade hobby, as I was able to anticipate a number of factors. What this has to do with the general economic picture, I'm not sure.

Oil will keep going up until the dummies in DC get serious about new drilling, nuke plants, etc.
    Which is the forseeable future (oil will keep going up), as none of the measures you (or anyone else) cites will be effective in the short term. This will have the predictable ripple effect throughout the economy on retail prices, the cost of food, and the costs of doing business.

An increase in GDP is better than a decrease. BTW, that .6% was upgraded to 1% Yea
    Yes, and a 2% drop is better than a 4% drop. What we are trying to get at here is a view of reality, not some politcally-flavored distortion of the truth. In point of fact, given the inordinate increase in the cost of gas and food during those two quarters, to calculate a growth number without consideration of such (no matter what the precedence was), is just plain silly. The economy is in the shits and no PR from the Idiot Child can really change that.

Housing starts-- need to sell the ones on the market before a shit-pot load of new ones are built. However, in my part of the country, the economy and the housing market is doing very well.
    You're in Louisiana, correct. Well, damn! That's the solution. Let's knock down a considerable percentage of the housing in Wisconsin, and then, a couple of years later, brag that housing starts are just fine, thank you.

If you're denying that the number of housing starts has declined significantly in the US over the last 18 months, you're incorrect. Additionally, that clearly has a ripple (there's that word again) effect throughout the economy as all the industries, from construction to appliances, that support the housing industry are affected.

I am happy; everthing is coming up roses. Doomers and gloomers should sit in the back of the bus. BTW, Greenspan has been parroting the word recession since that stupid fucker left as Fed. Chair.
    I'm happy too. Because I've got all the scotch and women's rear ends that I'll ever need. And then, after I'm dead, f**k the rest of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I'm happy too. Because I've got all the scotch and women's rear ends that I'll ever need. And then, after I'm dead, f**k the rest of you.
    I like the contents of your "survival kit" We should all do as well to keep our needs simple and basic. :)

Yep, price of 303 S/S just went up another 5% this week on my aircraft part material. I couldn’t be happier.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    My institutional portfolios behaved the same as yours. I did ok in June with my day trade hobby, as I was able to anticipate a number of factors. What this has to do with the general economic picture, I'm not sure.

Which is the forseeable future (oil will keep going up), as none of the measures you (or anyone else) cites will be effective in the short term. This will have the predictable ripple effect throughout the economy on retail prices, the cost of food, and the costs of doing business.

Yes, and a 2% drop is better than a 4% drop. What we are trying to get at here is a view of reality, not some politcally-flavored distortion of the truth. In point of fact, given the inordinate increase in the cost of gas and food during those two quarters, to calculate a growth number without consideration of such (no matter what the precedence was), is just plain silly. The economy is in the shits and no PR from the Idiot Child can really change that.

You're in Louisiana, correct. Well, damn! That's the solution. Let's knock down a considerable percentage of the housing in Wisconsin, and then, a couple of years later, brag that housing starts are just fine, thank you.

If you're denying that the number of housing starts has declined significantly in the US over the last 18 months, you're incorrect. Additionally, that clearly has a ripple (there's that word again) effect throughout the economy as all the industries, from construction to appliances, that support the housing industry are affected.

When we get to a -2% , I will agree that it is better than a 4% drop. We are not there and I don;t expect it. The rebate checks will tide the economy over for the next 2 months and no one knows which way it will go after that.

Being from a state that has the 3rd largest refinery in the country and a multitue of chemical plants, my thought is fuck you yankees if you do not want to produce your own energy and chemicals. Louisiana is less prone to a recession because of our industries.

I am happy too; my house and my car are paid for, am retired and have everything I need. Don't have to rent a thing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    I like the contents of your "survival kit" We should all do as well to keep our needs simple and basic.
    The only three things you really need in life:

And, oh yes, did I mention...

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    ... the most serious conflagration of problems, economic and national security, in the last 30 years are so and it's trending downward.
    I'm late to this thread, but he's right, and all of our problems arise from one single one...they all have, at their root cause, increasing energy costs, which are in turn based partly on speculation, but more importantly, on an increasingly verifiable set of hard-stop supply fundamentals.

Find a way to reduce the real price of a barrel of oil, and everything else will take care of itself.

The wellbeing of our economy (i.e. our standard of living) is predicated and dependent on cheap energy. If the prices keep increasing as they have been doing, then the economies, one by one, will shut down, and this will happen in a relatively short time-span.

The commercial aviation industry will be the first to take the big hit (it's already started to happen). So-called globalisation and outsourcing initiatives will be next, with their dependencies of big-IT, which are already starting to build data-centers in the Arctic, just to reduce energy costs.

Look for mergers of big energy, airline and IT companies in the near future, as a guide.

Until quite recently, we have squandered the time we have been given to sort the energy problem out, which we have known was coming for years.

We need to aggressively develop and exploit existing resources, now, in order to buy ourselves enough time to continue to develop viable, scaleable alternatives to long-chain hydrocarbon fossil fuels.

Those alternatives are out there, now, but they will require a lot of dedicated and sustained effort to make them scale up and out, and the required effort will not be cheap, and the required effort will probably be painful.

More importantly, the longer we leave it, the more painful it will be, and the longer we leave it, the less likely it will be that the efforts that we are making will succeed, and quite obviously, each one of these will have very, very negative effects on our way of life.

The way I see it, prices are going to have to increase way, way beyond where we currently are at, just in order to support the required effort.

The balancing act will be to keep energy prices as high as possible, at the point that they will deter unnecessary use and just below the point that they will collapse the economy.

We do live in interesting times, that's for sure.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 06-27-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Maybe Bush is a genius.

Not likely - but this venture into ‘oil country’ (our folly in the Middle East) might be part of someone’s master plan - an alternate to the Japanese’s reaction to our cutting off their source of oil prior to WWII. Piss the Arabs off to the point that they start some high caliber shooting and we just go in a blow the living Hell out of everyone and nationalise the entire region for their natural resources.

It might cost tens-of-thousands of casualties on our side, but remember, nobody ever said war was without cost.