Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I hate to break it to y'all, but they're right. Lincoln was the first modern Democrat. Lincoln rode the suffering of people he didn't give a shit about to secure more power to the federal government. Like it or not, that is the fact. Are you telling me that Lincoln wasn't a big tax, big government president? Honestly, people, this Party of Lincoln bullshit has to stop.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Name Removed
    LOL! :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I hate to break it to y'all, but they're right. Lincoln was the first modern Democrat. Lincoln rode the suffering of people he didn't give a shit about to secure more power to the federal government. Like it or not, that is the fact. Are you telling me that Lincoln wasn't a big tax, big government president? Honestly, people, this Party of Lincoln bullshit has to stop.
    You know, I've been reading some stuff about Lincoln that sounds like this too and you make some interesting points. People wanna talk about Bush suspending Habeas Corpus....Lincoln was doing that over 140 years ago and nobody bats an eye.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    You know, I've been reading some stuff about Lincoln that sounds like this too and you make some interesting points. People wanna talk about Bush suspending Habeas Corpus....Lincoln was doing that over 140 years ago and nobody bats an eye.
    No doubt about it, Lincoln was probably the closest thing to a Dictator that this country ever saw (followed by Roosevelt). But I believe his politics were a product of the time, meaning he was that way because of the war brought apon him.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    No doubt about it, Lincoln was probably the closest thing to a Dictator that this country ever saw (followed by Roosevelt). But I believe his politics were a product of the time, meaning he was that way because of the war brought apon him.
    I often wonder what would have happened has Booth not killed Lincoln. How easy would Lincoln have relinquished power? What would he have done to follow up on his freeing of the slaves? How would he be remembered today?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

I often wonder what would have happened has Booth not killed Lincoln. How easy would Lincoln have relinquished power? What would he have done to follow up on his freeing of the slaves? How would he be remembered today?
    It's a good question, and unfortunately (or maybe not) we'll never know.

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything." -- President Lincoln (Lincoln - Douglas Debates 1858)
    Last edited by Full-Auto; 01-19-2009 at 01:49 PM.
    I like to shoot people with my CANON.

Lincoln's master plan was to send all the blacks to a colony somewhere... anywhere other than the continental United States. Get rid of them was his plan...

"I recommend that Congress provide for accepting such persons from such States, according to some mode of valuation, in lieu, pro tanto, of direct taxes, or upon some other plan to be agreed on with such States respectively; that such persons, on such acceptance by the General Government, be at once deemed free, and that in any event steps be taken for colonizing both classes ["contraband" and slaves newly freed by States of the Union] at some place or places in a climate congenial to them. It might be well to consider, too, whether the free colored people already in the United States could not, so far as individuals may desire, be included in such colonization." -- President Lincoln, State of the Union 1861
    I like to shoot people with my CANON.

Quote Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
    Lincoln's master plan was to send all the blacks to a colony somewhere... anywhere other than the continental United States. Get rid of them was his plan...

"I recommend that Congress provide for accepting such persons from such States, according to some mode of valuation, in lieu, pro tanto, of direct taxes, or upon some other plan to be agreed on with such States respectively; that such persons, on such acceptance by the General Government, be at once deemed free, and that in any event steps be taken for colonizing both classes ["contraband" and slaves newly freed by States of the Union] at some place or places in a climate congenial to them. It might be well to consider, too, whether the free colored people already in the United States could not, so far as individuals may desire, be included in such colonization." -- President Lincoln, State of the Union 1861
    The problem was that too manyt DEMOCRATS had a vested economic interest in looting the south of whatever they could and used the victimization of the black man as their excuse.

They were also perfectly content to maintaining a voting plantation of disadvantaged people chained to their giveaway social programs.

I would like to think that the rebuilding of the South after the war would have gone better and been a bit more smoothly. And maybe some of those civil rights bills would have made it through that Johnson vetoed.