Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We are all aware that it was Republican Abraham Lincoln's brave belief in freedom and diligent disbelief in secession that freed nearly four million black Americans from slavery. But, it was shortly after Lincoln's death that the Civil Rights Act of 1866, which extended equality legislation to former slaves, was passed by the Republican Congress, overriding the veto by the Unionist-Democrat President Andrew Johnson.

The Civil Rights Act of 1871 gave protection to blacks from the violence of the Ku Klux Klan. This legislation was proposed by Republican Congressman Benjamin Butler and signed into law by Republican President Ulysses S. Grant.

The Civil Rights Act of 1875 gave everyone equal treatment in public accommodations and was proposed by Republican Congressman Butler, once again, and Republican Senator Charles Sumner. It was also signed by Republican President Grant, and though it was mostly ineffective at the time, it became the basis for many of the provisions passed in the 1960s.

The Civil Rights Act of 1957, a voting rights bill, was proposed by Republican President Dwight Eisenhower, but it was dramatically filibustered and drastically amended by Democrats, rendering it largely ineffective for several years.

The ensuing Civil Rights Act of 1960 was a stronger piece of voting rights legislation, and despite continuous filibustering by 18 Democrats, the bill was eventually signed by Republican President Eisenhower.

The famed Civil Rights Act of 1964 aimed for across the board equality and the repeal of Jim Crow laws. The bill was introduced by Democrat President John F. Kennedy in 1963, but it was once again filibustered by Democrats before being revised and passed with the assistance of Republican Senators.

Finally, the Civil Rights Act of 1968, commonly called the Fair Housing Act, prohibited discrimination in buying or renting property, and was signed into law by Democrat President Lyndon Johnson.

(shamelessly stolen from another board ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Further reinforces my wanting to be a History/Government teacher when I get out of the military. Shit like this needs to be corrected.
    trust me - you won't get the chance unless you sit back quietly and keep your mouth shut until you have tenure.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    You know, I've been reading some stuff about Lincoln that sounds like this too and you make some interesting points. People wanna talk about Bush suspending Habeas Corpus....Lincoln was doing that over 140 years ago and nobody bats an eye.
    and he threw reporters into jail for writing negative stories about the war - and he threw the entire Maryland legislature into jail to keep the state for succeeding . . . .

BUT EVEN SO - I think Lincoln is a very misunderstood man. His only goal was to preserve the union. If he thought he could have done that while keeping slavery legal - he would have. AND people should learn a bit more about things before they bring them up - I MEAN HONESTLY - am I the only one who has actually read the emancipation proclamation?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Name Removed
    HA!

:D

I bet it would really make some DUmmy heads explode if they knew that one of the largest slave owners in the Carolinas was a free black man. He switched he crops on his plantation to foodstuffs to support the Confederate army after the war started. :D

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    and he threw reporters into jail for writing negative stories about the war - and he threw the entire Maryland legislature into jail to keep the state for succeeding . . . .

BUT EVEN SO - I think Lincoln is a very misunderstood man. His only goal was to preserve the union. If he thought he could have done that while keeping slavery legal - he would have. AND people should learn a bit more about things before they bring them up - I MEAN HONESTLY - am I the only one who has actually read the emancipation proclamation?
    You make a great point Poli and here's a thing I think we really need to understand too. Lincoln lived in a time where the Union was at a breaking point; who knows how any one of us would respond to a National Crisis like that. It's like the people who hit on the Founding Fathers for not putting an end to Slavery in the Constitution originally; the Union of our Country was already so fragile at that point it couldn't be done yet. That doesn't mean they were racists, no matter what idiots like Spike Lee say.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Mom View Post

The Civil Rights Act of 1871 gave protection to blacks from the violence of the Ku Klux Klan. This legislation was proposed by Republican Congressman Benjamin Butler and signed into law by Republican President Ulysses S. Grant.
    Were you also aware that the original KKK (not the jackasses you see today) was formed to protect southerners from former slaves who were encouraged to attack their former masters? Grant's people, who were now in charge in the defeated South, would look the other way while blacks and carpetbaggers did whatever they wanted at the expense of southern whites.

What would you do if a victorious enemy army moved into your neighborhood and allowed themselves and others to rob, loot, and pillage your belongings and attack you children? Would you form a type of secret police to scare them straight? If so, then don't throw stones at the original KKK.

I knew an old guy who was in the Klan in the 30's. He told me that the Klan then did not target blacks. The majority of who they went after were white men who were too sorry to take care of their family. One man in particular spent all of his earnings on alcohol instead of providing for his family which he in turn abused. One night they caught him staggering home from a night out drinking. They stipped him naked and tied him to a tree. After a few cracks with a bullwhip, he was never seen drinking again. The only blacks they ever went after was for the same reasons they went after whites.

Sometimes I think our nation would be a better place if we still had THOSE Klans in power.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Sometimes I think our nation would be a better place if we still had THOSE Klans in power.
    Whether that (excuse the pun) "whitewashed" version is true or not, I don't think vigilantism makes the world a better place.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Whether that (excuse the pun) "whitewashed" version is true or not, I don't think vigilantism makes the world a better place.
    Maybe not, but holding people accountable for their actions is a good thing.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

I hope my mother never reads that thread. She loves Lincoln, and to see these cretins writing such b.s. revisionist history about him would enrage her.

"If he were here today? Watching Barack Obama giving his speech before the Lincoln Monument today, one could not help but think of the Emancipation Proclamation and the fulfillment of the dream of Abraham Lincoln. As he looked upon the first African-American to be elected President, would he not have been proud? Would he have not admitted that this was the political Party to which he belonged -not the Republican Party? George W Bush lost nearly everything for his Party in the eight years of his tragic Presidency. Now it appears that he has lost Abraham Lincoln, also?"

1. As Full- Auto pointed out, Lincoln was a racist who believed that blacks were second class citizens (A sadly not uncommon sentiment for that time), he was just opposed to the institution of slavery in general.
    2. When will these idiots realize or acknowledge that Barack Obama is NOT African- American? He is of mixed race, born from a white mother, and his lineage has much more Arabic blood in it than African blood.