1. #1 Is a Change in Migration Patterns at Hand? 
    by Michael Barone

01/17/2009

Evidence keeps accumulating that the tide of immigration is ebbing. Tough enforcement laws passed by states like Arizona and Oklahoma and localities like Prince William County, Va., have reportedly spurred Latino immigrants to move elsewhere. Tougher enforcement of federal immigration laws may be having the same effect.

Classrooms in Orange County, Calif., are suddenly half-empty. Latino day laborers seem to be less thick on the ground at their morning gathering places. Remittances to Mexico and other Latin countries are down, and men are returning to some villages from the United States.

Latinos appear to account for a disproportionate share of mortgage foreclosures. The Census Bureau estimates that net immigration in 2007-08 was 14 percent lower than the average for 2000-07, and those estimates don't cover the period after June 30, when the recession really started hitting.
    Since Congress considered and failed to pass a comprehensive law in 2006 and 2007, we have learned that tougher enforcement of existing law is possible and can reduce illegal immigration. Now we face a sharply different economic situation, which is presumably less conducive to immigration. This may make the need for a comprehensive law less pressing and at the same time make it politically more palatable.

Link to the article

Enforcing the law what a novel idea.
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

Man! I thought this was about Canada geese. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Man! I thought this was about Canada geese. :D
    Same here.

Imagine what would happen with tougher enforcement and a fence!

Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    Same here.

Don't mention the fence. Anthony Bourdain will get upset.

(sorry, my wife watches the Travel Channel a lot and that guy just loves to spout off about how evil we are to Mexicans whenever he does something along the border).

With the economy being down there are not as many jobs available for illegal aliens. People without work are taking jobs that they may not have considered a couple of years ago. I'm surprised that some lib hasn't complained that we are taking jobs from able bodied illegals.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    Same here.

Wouldn't the geese just fly over the fence?

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Wouldn't the geese just fly over the fence?
    Not if it is a really tall fence.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Not if it is a really tall fence.
    Well, problem solved then.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    With the economy being down there are not as many jobs available for illegal aliens. People without work are taking jobs that they may not have considered a couple of years ago. I'm surprised that some lib hasn't complained that we are taking jobs from able bodied illegals.
    Give em time...they will
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...