Thread: US breached order by executing Mexican

1. #1 US breached order by executing Mexican 
    Resident Grump
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-23109,00.html

From correspondents in The Hague

Agence France-Presse

January 20, 2009 04:43am

THE UN's highest court has held the United States in breach of its July order not to execute a Mexican man sentenced to death in Texas after a flawed trial.

When the UN starts hammering Iran and other Islamic terror states, then they can lecture the US ..until then they can go fuck a duck.

"The court ... finds that the United States of America has breached the obligation incumbent upon it" by executing 33-year-old Jose Ernesto Medellin in August, the International Court of Justice ruled in The Hague.

It was handing down judgment in a bid by Mexico to pressure the United States to review the sentences of 51 of its citizens sentenced to death on American soil after trials that violated international rights obligations.

Illegals, probably. Tough shit.

Mexico accuses Washington of contravening the court's 2004 order holding it in breach of the Vienna Convention for having failed to inform the Mexicans of their right to consular assistance during trial.

The court directed the US government in 2004 to review and reconsider all the convictions and sentences, but Mexico claims requests for such reviews had been denied in nearly all the cases.

In June last year, Mexico approached the court for an interpretation of its 2004 judgment, particularly wording that allowed the United States to review the sentences "by means of its own choosing".

Mexico also urged the court to stay the imminent execution of five among the group, including Medellin, pending a final judgment. In July, the court directed the US government to "take all measures necessary to ensure (the five) are not executed".

But the US Supreme Court subsequently found that President George W. Bush did not have the power to order the state of Texas to stay the execution.

Despite a last minute plea from United Nations secretary-general Ban Ki-moon, Medellin was put to death by lethal injection for the 1993 rape and murder of two girls. While holding the US in breach for the execution, the ICJ simultaneously rejected Mexico's request for interpretation of its 2004 judgment.

The US is not a signatory to the ICJ

Mexico argued that the judgment placed an obligation on the US government to review the sentences by whatever means, and accused the US of hiding behind domestic legal constraints.

But the ICJ said the US government accepted the obligation placed upon it to review the sentences.

..and then did what was necessary anyway. He raped and murdered two girls..well, he wont rape any more;

I am glad America executed the raping/murdering trash. I am also glad they told the UN where to stick its court order.
    Find out what is really happening in Europe: what the European leaders don't want you to read

http://www.free-europe.org/blog/english.php

I support victims rights

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/

Patent Member
    Texas executed these individuals, not the United States. The United States has no authority or power to regulate the police power of the states. Congress does not gain extraconstitutional powers merely by signing a treaty with another country.

Maybe the UN should extend invitations to the States if they want to regulate their conduct.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Texas executed these individuals, not the United States. The United States has no authority or power to regulate the police power of the states. Congress does not gain extraconstitutional powers merely by signing a treaty with another country.

Maybe the UN should extend invitations to the States if they want to regulate their conduct.
    What kind of pressure do you think Obama will bring to bear on said courts? Wont do much in Texas I grant you :D

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    What kind of pressure do you think Obama will bring to bear on said courts? Wont do much in Texas I grant you :D
    Bush brought quite a bit of pressure on the Texas court. He had much more sway than Obama can ever hope to have. Didn't work, Texas took it to the SCOTUS who said the President doesn't have the authority to force Texas to commute the death sentence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Bush brought quite a bit of pressure on the Texas court. He had much more sway than Obama can ever hope to have. Didn't work, Texas took it to the SCOTUS who said the President doesn't have the authority to force Texas to commute the death sentence.
    I guess the IC would only have sway in Fed capitol cases? (if we join the IC, which Obama will i am afraid) :(

Hey Un! Go Pound Salt!

In case you don't speak english - try one of these on for size:

Téigh trasna ort féin - Irish Gaelic

Si me rogas, potes abire et tu ipse cacare. - LATIN

Lech tezayen gufa shell soos bayarkon ya zayn meyubash! - Hebrew

Badi lahsak manbat sha'er baidi - arabic

and for the mexicans reading -

Bajate a los chescos. Tu madre es puta y pendeja.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    I guess the IC would only have sway in Fed capitol cases? (if we join the IC, which Obama will i am afraid) :(
    If Obama tries it - that's grounds for revolution. I will NOT surrender my rights to those whores.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Ah the U.N.! Those thieves and rapists need to clean up their own act before condemning the legal authority of the sovereign Republic of Texas.
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals