Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Bush Commutes Sentences Of Ex-Border Patrol Agents 
    On his last full day in office, President Bush commuted the controversial sentences of two former Border Patrol agents convicted of shooting a Mexican drug runner in 2005.

The imprisonment of Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean had sparked outcry from critics who said the two men were just doing their jobs and were punished too harshly. They had been sentenced to 11- and 12-year sentences, respectively.

Their prison sentences will now expire on March 20 of this year.

The two were sentenced in connection with the shooting of Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, who was shot in the buttocks while trying to flee along the Texas border. He admitted smuggling several hundred pounds of marijuana on the day he was shot and pleaded guilty last year to drug charges related to two other smuggling attempts.

Nearly the entire bipartisan congressional delegation from Texas and other lawmakers from both sides of the political aisle pleaded with Bush to grant them clemency.

.http://www.foxnews.com/

Breaking now.
    good news
    Last edited by Phillygirl; 01-19-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added story

Good for him!
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

About freaking time already!

Glenn Beck is going to be happy to hear this, he's been one of their biggest advocates.

Power CUer
    They're border agents, not boarder agents, but it's a very good decision.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by aerojarod View Post
    About freaking time already!

Glenn Beck is going to be happy to hear this, he's been one of their biggest advocates.
    Beck's where I first learned about the case for Ramos & Compean. Thank the good Lord above, he did the right thing! This is excellent news. :D
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    They're border agents, not boarder agents, but it's a very good decision.

all right, I was excited when I wrote it..

if you can, could you fix it for me, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamomma View Post
    On his last full day in office, President Bush commuted the controversial sentences of two former Border Patrol agents convicted of shooting a Mexican drug runner in 2005.

The imprisonment of Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean had sparked outcry from critics who said the two men were just doing their jobs and were punished too harshly. They had been sentenced to 11- and 12-year sentences, respectively.

Their prison sentences will now expire on March 20 of this year.

The two were sentenced in connection with the shooting of Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, who was shot in the buttocks while trying to flee along the Texas border. He admitted smuggling several hundred pounds of marijuana on the day he was shot and pleaded guilty last year to drug charges related to two other smuggling attempts.

Nearly the entire bipartisan congressional delegation from Texas and other lawmakers from both sides of the political aisle pleaded with Bush to grant them clemency.

.http://www.foxnews.com/

Breaking now.
    good news
    Good news yes...but about 1 year too late in my opinion. These 2 men should not have served one day in prison.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskamomma View Post
    all right, I was excited when I wrote it..

if you can, could you fix it for me, thanks

Don't let Numbers the spelling Nazi get to you ,she was beaten as a child in the Gulags ! (note - sentences were commuted, not a pardon)It wasn't a pardon as your post noted .They will be released from prison but their prison records stand.They will not be able to resume their former work as they are convicted felons .They can apply for a full pardon in the future but I doubt they will receive one.

Darn....I thought I would be the first to post this. :(

This is excellent news, I thought for sure he would go and do something stupid like commute Goege Ryan over these guys.

(though he still might disappoint and commute Ryan)

Patent Member
    I find myselt yet again disappointed in Bush's decision to commute sentences instead of granting a full pardon.

edit: Better than nothing I suppose.