Stop eating foods containing peanut butter, FDA says

KSBY-TV
updated 4:29 p.m. MT, Tues., Jan. 20, 2009
Monday, January 19, 2009

Reported by: Kelly Bush

The Food and Drug Administration is asking consumers to temporarily stop eating all foods containing peanut butter - this, as investigators work to find the source of a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to peanut butter and peanut butter paste.

So far, more than 470 people in 43 states have gotten sick. At least 90 people have been hospitalized and six have died.

Products like cookies, crackers and other snacks that contain peanut butter or peanut paste are on the warning list. Jars of peanut butter sold in supermarkets are thought to be OK.

Investigators are focusing on bulk tubs of peanut butter produced at the Peanut Corporation of America's Georgia facility. Its products were distributed to nursing homes and to food companies.

"If you already have a jar you should be safe, however if you have any products in your house that contain peanut butter I would hold off on eating them," said registered dietician Tara Harwood with the Cleveland Clinic.
Heads up. Luckily, I don't use peanut butter for anything other than squirrel bait and I don't care if they die from it.

People with kids or kid-like tastes in sack lunches may need to watch out. ;)

MSNBC