Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The special needs are "short attention span" and "dyslexia". It's not like they whomped a girls' team playing from wheelchairs.

I'm reading between the lines, as someone who works with kids of all different need levels. Kids who are in a special school because they have a short attention span or dyslexia usually have other issues, too, or they would be able to maintain in a regular school setting. I don't mean wheelchairs, I mean emotional issues.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm reading between the lines, as someone who works with kids of all different need levels. Kids who are in a special school because they have a short attention span or dyslexia usually have other issues, too, or they would be able to maintain in a regular school setting. I don't mean wheelchairs, I mean emotional issues.
    I think your point is well taken, though. "Competition" kind of automatically involves sorting people out into different skill levels. The loser kids here probably shouldn't have been matched up against a team with normal competitive goals.

The Special Olympics are heart-warming and all but they aren't interesting in terms of athletic performance. Playing on a team may be fun for these kids but they shouldn't kid themselves that they are playing at the same level as the other kids. A four year losing streak is a pretty strong indication that you are doing it wrong.

However, there's no reason why the winning team should forfeit. The losers don't magically gain skills or drive from that and the winners take home mixed messages about what fair competition is all about.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    the winners take home mixed messages about what fair competition is all about.
    So, it prepares them for life in America today.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I agree.
    A small sporting trauma is good preparation for what life has in store for you.

rm -rf obama*

True but don't you think they already feel cynical and bitter about achievement when they are forced to be graded as teams in academics and constantly told that hard work never trumps skin color or sex?

Let's give them a vacation from lunacy on the athletic field, at least. :D

You don't bulid selfworth by giving people excuses and crutches. If these girls want to do what's right - they should go to the other school and have practices with them to help them build their skills and play better so that the next time - they might not lose so badly.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

The softball league I played in as a kid had a mercy rule-no team could score more than 5 runs in an inning. It was more to prevent unending games than to protect kids' feelings, though.

Apologizing for the margin of victory? Completely aside from the fact that this is a girls' team, that's pussy.
    Linda!!!!!!! :eek:

:D:D:D

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

The score should not have been run up like that. Once it's a 50 + point lead at half-time, put in all your scrubs. Let the other side score a basket or so. You don't need to forfeit, but it doesn't have to be humiliating either. There's such a thing as graciousness in winning that should have been remembered during the game. I am glad that they remembered it afterwards, at least.

so we should teach our kids to only put in half efforts?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.