Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,852
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The special needs are "short attention span" and "dyslexia". It's not like they whomped a girls' team playing from wheelchairs.

    I'm reading between the lines, as someone who works with kids of all different need levels. Kids who are in a special school because they have a short attention span or dyslexia usually have other issues, too, or they would be able to maintain in a regular school setting. I don't mean wheelchairs, I mean emotional issues.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm reading between the lines, as someone who works with kids of all different need levels. Kids who are in a special school because they have a short attention span or dyslexia usually have other issues, too, or they would be able to maintain in a regular school setting. I don't mean wheelchairs, I mean emotional issues.
    I think your point is well taken, though. "Competition" kind of automatically involves sorting people out into different skill levels. The loser kids here probably shouldn't have been matched up against a team with normal competitive goals.

    The Special Olympics are heart-warming and all but they aren't interesting in terms of athletic performance. Playing on a team may be fun for these kids but they shouldn't kid themselves that they are playing at the same level as the other kids. A four year losing streak is a pretty strong indication that you are doing it wrong.

    However, there's no reason why the winning team should forfeit. The losers don't magically gain skills or drive from that and the winners take home mixed messages about what fair competition is all about.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    the winners take home mixed messages about what fair competition is all about.
    So, it prepares them for life in America today.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Super Moderator BadCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In your dreams
    Posts
    15,616
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    So, it prepares them for life in America today.
    I agree.
    A small sporting trauma is good preparation for what life has in store for you.

    rm -rf obama*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    So, it prepares them for life in America today.
    True but don't you think they already feel cynical and bitter about achievement when they are forced to be graded as teams in academics and constantly told that hard work never trumps skin color or sex?

    Let's give them a vacation from lunacy on the athletic field, at least. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    You don't bulid selfworth by giving people excuses and crutches. If these girls want to do what's right - they should go to the other school and have practices with them to help them build their skills and play better so that the next time - they might not lose so badly.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,852
    The softball league I played in as a kid had a mercy rule-no team could score more than 5 runs in an inning. It was more to prevent unending games than to protect kids' feelings, though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,374
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Apologizing for the margin of victory? Completely aside from the fact that this is a girls' team, that's pussy.
    Linda!!!!!!! :eek:

    :D:D:D

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    The score should not have been run up like that. Once it's a 50 + point lead at half-time, put in all your scrubs. Let the other side score a basket or so. You don't need to forfeit, but it doesn't have to be humiliating either. There's such a thing as graciousness in winning that should have been remembered during the game. I am glad that they remembered it afterwards, at least.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    so we should teach our kids to only put in half efforts?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •