Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Maybe, but not winning a game in 4 years shows a level of blind ignorance on somebody's part. Either the coach is simply evil or the school administration believes that throwing their students to the wolves repeatedly offers some kind of "lesson".

Either way, an adult is using these kids to score points (not game points) in a twisted kind of way. Now that's really unsporting.

Maybe these kids would be killer ping-pong players or Texas Hold 'Em champs or rope jumpers. In real life, people build on their strengths. Everybody has something that they are good at and basketball clearly isn't the answer here.
    It's high school. Usually people spend 4 years there. At what point do you stop hosting a team...1 year, figuring they're not going to improve? Or 2 years?

Maybe one of the stars from the "normal" schools will have a traumatic event in their lives, go fully blown ADD, and then get sent to the school, giving them hope for a championship season...or at least a basket or two.

Honestly, I don't see the issue here. So the kids suck. Okay. That doesn't mean that the opposing team needs to have layup practice on them. If the kids hated losing so much I would assume they'd quit the team. Perhaps they still liked playing and saw some improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    True. But he doesn't go down to homeless shelters and light cigars with hundred dollar bills either.
    Poor comparision...apples and oranges. He was known for putting competitors out of business and rolling over the competition.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    It's high school. Usually people spend 4 years there. At what point do you stop hosting a team...1 year, figuring they're not going to improve? Or 2 years?
    It is high school. Usually kids on teams have been playing for a while. I mean, normally you don't suddenly decide to try out in your senior year. In this school that may well be the case. These are kids who have been diverted or marginalized (depending on your viewpoint) out of regular school. They probably don't bring years of athletic experience and practice to the table.

These kids may lack the experience to be competitive against schools with athletic formation programs (which nowadays starts in grade school). Why not try ping-pong or something else? It's not like doing so would jeopardize their budding pro careers.

If their pool of potential players is only 20, the odds are that they will have maybe one girl who can play. Sounds like they couldn't even handle the ball. This game takes years to master the basics. By high school, they either can play already or they will more than likely never play with skill.

The opposing coach may have already had all his "scrubs" in the game and they were several skill levels above their opponents. I coached teams that fouled out where we payed 4 on five. We lost but kept playing.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The special needs are "short attention span" and "dyslexia". It's not like they whomped a girls' team playing from wheelchairs.

That also describes the NBA. I mean, I'm just sayin'....
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It is high school. Usually kids on teams have been playing for a while. I mean, normally you don't suddenly decide to try out in your senior year. In this school that may well be the case. These are kids who have been diverted or marginalized (depending on your viewpoint) out of regular school. They probably don't bring years of athletic experience and practice to the table.

These kids may lack the experience to be competitive against schools with athletic formation programs (which nowadays starts in grade school). Why not try ping-pong or something else? It's not like doing so would jeopardize their budding pro careers.
    I say that unless it is a financial issue, if the girls want to keep playing basketball, the school should keep supporting them. I would encourage them to find another league if possible, but I doubt that the school is forcing any of the players to play.