Hybrid View

1. #1 Acupuncture Pretty Much Fake. 
    Is curing your headache with acupuncture all in the mind?

By Fiona Macrae

Last updated at 8:26 PM on 21st January 2009

Many swear it is as powerful as any headache pill – but the benefits of acupuncture could be all in the mind.
    Researchers have found a fake treatment is as good as the real thing at relieving the pain of headaches.
    An analysis of dozens of studies involving almost 7,000 men and women showed the ancient Chinese art to be better than tablets at warding off migraines.

Those who had needles incorrectly inserted benefited nearly as much as those who had proper acupuncture
    However, fake treatments, in which the needles were placed randomly on the skin, were just as effective at stopping migraines – and almost as good at preventing tension headaches. The findings suggest many of the benefits of acupuncture are in the mind.

Researchers say it is likely patients benefit from the 'placebo effect', in which care, attention and the simple belief the treatment will work, lead to improvements in health.
    Having suffered from familial migraines since I was 12, I can tell you that no amount of pin-sticking is going to do jack for them. However, about a zillion people think they have migraines because it sounds cooler and it's a better excuse to avoid stuff than saying they have a "tension headache".

I totally believe that the tension headache people benefited from the placebo affect.

Daily Mail

Banned
    Two friends of mine went to Houston for acupuncture treatment to kick the habit of smoking. It worked for them. I ended my indulgence in smoking and drinking in a blink of an eye. Just made up my mind to do it. Mind over matter works.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Two friends of mine went to Houston for acupuncture treatment to kick the habit of smoking. It worked for them. I ended my indulgence in smoking and drinking in a blink of an eye. Just made up my mind to do it. Mind over matter works.
    Funny I just crushed my pack of cigs and never smoked again.

Didnt know I needed to be stuck with needles

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Having suffered from familial migraines since I was 12, I can tell you that no amount of pin-sticking is going to do jack for them. However, about a zillion people think they have migraines because it sounds cooler and it's a better excuse to avoid stuff than saying they have a "tension headache".

I totally believe that the tension headache people benefited from the placebo affect.

Daily Mail
    Migraines run in the family, fortunately I've only had the "pleasure" of experiencing one in my life. The mind-shattering pain and attendant distorted perception was enough that I wouldn't want anyone jabbing needles into me.

I have no doubt that tension headaches benefit from the placebo effect, it could also have just been the subjects spending time and relaxing in a meditative state.

Sitting still and being relaxed enough for someone to jab needles into you does wonders for stress.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Migraines run in the family, fortunately I've only had the "pleasure" of experiencing one in my life. The mind-shattering pain and attendant distorted perception was enough that I wouldn't want anyone jabbing needles into me.
    When I have a migraine, I wouldn't notice someone stabbing me with an ice pick.

Is curing your headache with acupuncture all in the mind?

By Fiona Macrae

Last updated at 8:26 PM on 21st January 2009

Many swear it is as powerful as any headache pill – but the benefits of acupuncture could be all in the mind.
    Researchers have found a fake treatment is as good as the real thing at relieving the pain of headaches.
    An analysis of dozens of studies involving almost 7,000 men and women showed the ancient Chinese art to be better than tablets at warding off migraines.

Those who had needles incorrectly inserted benefited nearly as much as those who had proper acupuncture
    However, fake treatments, in which the needles were placed randomly on the skin, were just as effective at stopping migraines – and almost as good at preventing tension headaches. The findings suggest many of the benefits of acupuncture are in the mind.

Researchers say it is likely patients benefit from the 'placebo effect', in which care, attention and the simple belief the treatment will work, lead to improvements in health.
    Um... Duh?
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    When I have a migraine, I wouldn't notice someone stabbing me with an ice pick.
    Since the physical brain cannot feel any pain where is the pain being generated,where are the nerve endings in question ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Since the physical brain cannot feel any pain where is the pain being generated,where are the nerve endings in question ?
    They tell me it's a vascular constriction along the outside of the skull that impacts the various nerve bundles in the face and head. Of course, they told me that biofeedback and drinking less coffee would be helpful. I got terrific at the biofeedback and I don't really drink much coffee. I still got the headaches.

The pain of migraines (and the vomiting, light intolerance, and sound aversion) is a complex interaction. In my own experience, narcotics work well to mask the pain and physical relaxation efforts seem to dampen the frequency but there is no silver bullet for true migraines.

I remember the very first time I had a genuine tension headache. I thought, "Crap! They actually think this is worth mentioning? !1!1 :eek:"

You'd be amazed at the things many people have reported sets off their migraines. I found out that marble cheese can set off migraines. I used to eat that stuff at holiday parties and when I quit, I stopped having migraines.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana