Thread: Celebutard Retracts "Un-American" Remark.

1. #1 Celebutard Retracts "Un-American" Remark. 
    Tom Hanks Apologizes for Calling Mormon Supporters of Proposition 8 'Un-American'

Friday, January 23, 2009

Tom Hanks has apologized for calling Mormon supporters of Proposition 8 "un-American."
    Tom Hanks says he's sorry he told FOXNews.com that Mormons who supported California's constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage were "un-American."

"Last week, I labeled members of the Mormon church who supported California's Proposition 8 as 'un-American,'" the actor said in a statement through his publicist. "I believe Proposition 8 is counter to the promise of our Constitution; it is codified discrimination."

"But everyone has a right to vote their conscience; nothing could be more American," the statement continues. "To say members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who contributed to Proposition 8 are 'un-American' creates more division when the time calls for respectful disagreement. No one should use 'un- American' lightly or in haste. I did. I should not have."

The "Big Love" producer made his original remarks at the Los Angeles premiere of the HBO series last week.

“The truth is a lot of Mormons gave a lot of money to the church to make Prop-8 happen,” he told FOXNews.com. “There are a lot of people who feel that is un-American, and I am one of them. I do not like to see any discrimination codified on any piece of paper, any of the 50 states in America, but here's what happens now.”

Read Tom Hanks' original statement in full.

Kim Farah, a spokeswoman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, responded that "expressing an opinion in a free and democratic society is as American as it gets."

Bill McKeever, a rep for the Mormonism Research Ministry, added, "Personally, I find it un-American to tell people that they shouldn’t vote their conscience."
    Since I'm pretty sure that "The Green Mile" was his last actual performance, I can safely ignore his projects for the rest of my life.

Fox

Kind of odd of him to say that at the premiere of Big Love, which is about a polygamist Mormon family, which he produces.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Kind of odd of him to say that at the premiere of Big Love, which is about a polygamist Mormon family, which he produces.
    Hence my usage of "celebutard". :p

You can't take it back, Tom. You twit. You can join Mel Gibson and Michael Richards in the seating area for obsolete actors.

Poor Tom opened his mouth before engaging the brain. Libs are like that!
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

I have been avoiding hanks for years.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.