Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    I can assure you that the lakes are - the creek - depends on where you look. Some places yes others, not so much.:D

Yeah, when I was in St. Joe/Benton Harbor last weekend, I was surprised at how far the ice on the big lake appeared to extend. When I was a kid, we used to drive to Grand Haven or Muskegon State Parks and walk out on the ice. It's been a long time since that was possible. My grandpa also used to take us out on the frozen Grand Traverse Bay on a snowmobile-the east bay would freeze over from the OMP to Elk Rapids.

And, yes, they are now calling the Old Mission Penninsula the "OMP".

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Yeah, when I was in St. Joe/Benton Harbor last weekend, I was surprised at how far the ice on the big lake appeared to extend. When I was a kid, we used to drive to Grand Haven or Muskegon State Parks and walk out on the ice. It's been a long time since that was possible. My grandpa also used to take us out on the frozen Grand Traverse Bay on a snowmobile-the east bay would freeze over from the OMP to Elk Rapids.

Really??? We still can drive out on the Saginaw Bay - the area I grew up in.

I spent nearly every summer weekend on the East Bay of Grand Travers Bay, and still get up to the area frequently. It has been developed beyond my tastes however and I usually stay either near Mesick or up near Suttons Bay.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

I hate whats happened to Traverse City area, the place is becoming pretty scummy. That whole area actually. You head west from there, and all the little towns, Benzonia, Frankfort, Manistee, the only real examples from my generation out there are pot/heroin/coke heads who are making babies as fast as possible and over loading the fast food chains with job applications.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I hate whats happened to Traverse City area, the place is becoming pretty scummy. That whole area actually. You head west from there, and all the little towns, Benzonia, Frankfort, Manistee, the only real examples from my generation out there are pot/heroin/coke heads who are making babies as fast as possible and over loading the fast food chains with job applications.

It's still pretty nice out on the OMP, where my grandpa lives. There are no fast food outlets, just cherry farms, Bed and Breakfasts, wineries, beaches and a few upscale restaurants.

Traverse City itself, though, has become just like any other town. They have malls and strip malls, chain restaurants, and so on. The downtown shopping area is still nice-the old JC Penney's is a Horizon Book Store, which is a nice change from the usual Borders/Barnes and Noble.

It's still pretty nice out on the OMP, where my grandpa lives. There are no fast food outlets, just cherry farms, Bed and Breakfasts, wineries, beaches and a few upscale restaurants.

Traverse City itself, though, has become just like any other town. They have malls and strip malls, chain restaurants, and so on. The downtown shopping area is still nice-the old JC Penney's is a Horizon Book Store, which is a nice change from the usual Borders/Barnes and Noble.
    I don't mind the more city part of the town. It's still a nice looking area (except for the run down part on the west end of Boardmen lake). I'm still amazed at how far south the city has grown since I joined the AF 7 years ago. Chums Corner used to just be what was just on the corner...

OMP is nice, but unless your a millionaire or lucky to inherit, don't plan on living out there anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsedriver View Post
    Nah, their just covering the bases. They want to be able to say that they saw it coming when the Messiah's luster starts to rub off. Now, they won't actually come out against the Messiah until the mainstream starts turning, they just want to be prepared to go the way the wind blows.
    The MSM won't turn on him even then. They'll make even more excuses and sing his praises all the louder - UNTIL it's apparent that he's dead in the water and THEN they will turn on him and TO their hand picked successor.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I spent a very enjoyable summer in TC years ago. :)
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand