Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Hybrid View

  1. #1 "Google Wants Your Hard Drives On Their Network !" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Google plans to make PCs history

    "More "BIG BROTHER' From Obama's State Security Organ ."


    "These people are seriously into spying on America for Obama .They have about as much 'Finesse' as an alligator."

    Google is to launch a service that would enable users to access their personal computer from any internet connection, according to industry reports. But campaigners warn that it would give the online behemoth unprecedented control over individuals' personal data.

    The Google Drive, or "GDrive", could kill off the desktop computer, which relies on a powerful hard drive. Instead a user's personal files and operating system could be stored on Google's own servers and accessed via the internet.

    The long-rumoured GDrive is expected to be launched this year, according to the technology news website TG Daily, which described it as "the most anticipated Google product so far". It is seen as a paradigm shift away from Microsoft's Windows operating system, which runs inside most of the world's computers, in favour of "cloud computing", where the processing and storage is done thousands of miles away in remote data centres.

    Home and business users are increasingly turning to web-based services, usually free, ranging from email (such as Hotmail and Gmail) and digital photo storage (such as Flickr and Picasa) to more applications for documents and spreadsheets (such as Google Apps). The loss of a laptop or crash of a hard drive does not jeopardise the data because it is regularly saved in "the cloud" and can be accessed via the web from any machine.

    The GDrive would follow this logic to its conclusion by shifting the contents of a user's hard drive to the Google servers. The PC would be a simpler, cheaper device acting as a portal to the web, perhaps via an adaptation of Google's operating system for mobile phones, Android. Users would think of their computer as software rather than hardware.

    "They already have these .They are called 'internet appliances',pc's minus a hard drive !"

    It is this prospect that alarms critics of Google's ambitions. Peter Brown, executive director of the Free Software Foundation, a charity defending computer users' liberties, did not dispute the convenience offered, but said: "It's a little bit like saying, 'we're in a dictatorship, the trains are running on time.' But does it matter to you that someone can see everything on your computer? Does it matter that Google can be subpoenaed at any time to hand over all your data to the American government?"

    Google refused to confirm the GDrive, but acknowledged the growing demand for cloud computing. Dave Armstrong, head of product and marketing for Google Enterprise, said: "There's a clear direction ... away from people thinking, 'This is my PC, this is my hard drive,' to 'This is how I interact with information, this is how I interact with the web.'"


    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...drive-internet
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    The concept is - if they do everything web based - then pirated software can be eliminated. They've been talking about this shift for years . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The concept is - if they do everything web based - then pirated software can be eliminated. They've been talking about this shift for years . . .
    It goes far beyond that .They could care less about piracy,they are interested in what you are spreading about on the web and who is helping you do it.They know that as the changes are made to the law and the constitution that people will rebel and they need to identify the ringleaders and round them up quick .They will start with Limbaugh and Hennity and then go after Free republic and StopObama.com shutting them down for some blown up reason.Google is key to their plans for gathering anti Obama data on the net .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    someone needs a new tinfoil hat . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,565
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    someone needs a new tinfoil hat . . . .
    Time will tell. You must admit though that boogiemen aside, unintended consequences could lead to exactly what the article suggests. I'm for fighting this possibility every step.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    someone needs a new tinfoil hat . . . .
    This isn't tinfoil. Tinfoil is aliens and things you can't prove with tangible evidence. Our feds got a plethora of evidence of being in everyones business they can be. You couple that with technological ability.....and I'm highly skeptical the holy fed is using it only for good intentions.

    It should be a concern to anyone that cares about privacy rights...liberties etc.
    Just read Andrew Napolitano's book "Nation of Sheep".
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    This isn't tinfoil. Tinfoil is aliens and things you can't prove with tangible evidence. Our feds got a plethora of evidence of being in everyones business they can be. You couple that with technological ability.....and I'm highly skeptical the holy fed is using it only for good intentions.

    It should be a concern to anyone that cares about privacy rights...liberties etc.
    Just read Andrew Napolitano's book "Nation of Sheep".
    Why this is a moot point (in my opinion) is that the feds can currently find out pretty much anything they want about you if you do something to make them think that it's in their best interests to know it. My point being that the current situation is no different than a future one.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    This isn't tinfoil. Tinfoil is aliens and things you can't prove with tangible evidence. Our feds got a plethora of evidence of being in everyones business they can be. You couple that with technological ability.....and I'm highly skeptical the holy fed is using it only for good intentions.

    It should be a concern to anyone that cares about privacy rights...liberties etc.
    Just read Andrew Napolitano's book "Nation of Sheep".
    Tinfoil also applies to those who think the government is beaming stuff into their heads and other such conspiracy theories. Don't get me wrong - I'm against this on all levels. I don't want my stuff out of my control - and I don't want remote software either.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    It goes far beyond that .They could care less about piracy,they are interested in what you are spreading about on the web and who is helping you do it.They know that as the changes are made to the law and the constitution that people will rebel and they need to identify the ringleaders and round them up quick .They will start with Limbaugh and Hennity and then go after Free republic and StopObama.com shutting them down for some blown up reason.Google is key to their plans for gathering anti Obama data on the net .
    The Kool-aid is going to your head.

    Make no mistake, its not for the most savoury of purposes that tech companies are pushing for software as a service... vendor lock-in, no piracy, they can data mine your personal info for better targetted ads and other services etc... any marketers wet dream and then some. Companies like microsoft love the idea because it will also help them combat open source.

    But good grief.... you get a big fat facepalm megs!

    The one thing we can be thankful for so far, is that Google seems to act semi-responsibly and ethically... at least compared with... I dunno... your typical telco...
    Last edited by wilbur; 01-26-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    The Kool-aid is going to your head.

    Make no mistake, its not for the most savoury of purposes that tech companies are pushing for software as a service... vendor lock-in, no piracy, they can data mine your personal info for better targetted ads and other services etc... any marketers wet dream and then some. Companies like microsoft love the idea because it will also help them combat open source.

    But good grief.... you get a big fat facepalm megs!

    The one thing we can be thankful for so far, is that Google seems to act semi-responsibly and ethically... at least compared with... I dunno... your typical telco...
    Mock me if you will as I have come to expect with you Willie !Your very words bely your argument don't you think ?
    "they can data mine your personal info for better targetted ads and other services etc." If company's are able to 'mine' my data what would stop a hostile government from doing the same thing , willie ?

    You without fail will reactivley support the far left causes at every opportunity and have lost all credibility as an objective thinking individual .Do you find the idea of the government being interested in what the opposing political activity is especially where it concerns the current administration foolish and idiotic ?

    Do you notice coincidences and call any question of commonality as a potential scheme a case of TinFoil madness.These things have been proven to have happened many times in the past with NSA 'mining' web traffic for years and tracking phone calls for 'key word 'traffic !

    The reason an outfit like Google would appeal to those who listen is obvious .NSA is a very expensive organisation to operate with billions in equipment costs and highly paid operators better suited to espionage work than domestic evesdropping !Google on the other hand is an organization with a common interest in data mining who's operations are loaded with storage and computing power and most importantly politically very friendly to this administration .

    Search engines as we, the public,now use them are a 'keyed' that is request driven by a user.There is no reason why several hundred or even thousand algorithmically driven searches all operating at the same times across the web .Much as the spiders they now use but with built in criteria to * parse things of interest for the powers that be !

    It is a given that NSA has been doing this domestically for years and and your people moaned and groaned about the loss of freedon .With the advent of Obama's incentives and the political awakening of Google you choose to make light of the observed possibility's of Googles being use in domestic spying .
    .................................................. ............

    *pares,parser - a computer program that divides code up into functional components; to analyze syntactically by assigning a constituent structure to (a sentence) and logging the source,words and day/time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •