Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,769
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    someone needs a new tinfoil hat . . . .
    This isn't tinfoil. Tinfoil is aliens and things you can't prove with tangible evidence. Our feds got a plethora of evidence of being in everyones business they can be. You couple that with technological ability.....and I'm highly skeptical the holy fed is using it only for good intentions.

    It should be a concern to anyone that cares about privacy rights...liberties etc.
    Just read Andrew Napolitano's book "Nation of Sheep".
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    This isn't tinfoil. Tinfoil is aliens and things you can't prove with tangible evidence. Our feds got a plethora of evidence of being in everyones business they can be. You couple that with technological ability.....and I'm highly skeptical the holy fed is using it only for good intentions.

    It should be a concern to anyone that cares about privacy rights...liberties etc.
    Just read Andrew Napolitano's book "Nation of Sheep".
    Why this is a moot point (in my opinion) is that the feds can currently find out pretty much anything they want about you if you do something to make them think that it's in their best interests to know it. My point being that the current situation is no different than a future one.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    793
    If people want t compute this way...let them. This won't replace PCs, this is convenience for people constantly on the go. I had one experience with Apple's .mac service. The company decided to completely revamp the service (adding lots of new features) this past July. Apparently the switch didn't go well, because the service was down for almost 2 weeks. Some people (supposedly a tenth of a percent of customers) lost all their email messages, files, & images on the system. In short, the service looks good, but I wouldn't trust it one bit!
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    . Any encryption can be broken given a strong enough desire to break it. Most stuff that you will keep on line won't be so valuable as to cause someone to expend the effort to hack it. .......... more costly for someone to crack encryption on network storage than it would be for a burglar to bypass your system.
    This is one of the few times I disagree with you. The cost of accessing your information will be worth it if it gives another the money or power they desire. From the lengths we see the Liberals take, this is considered risk worthy to them. I don't trust liberals. They think any means justifies their ends. They feel that their position is right and superior and will resort to any measure to force you to accept it.

    Look at any election beginning 2000. You could go back much earlier in Chicago. Look at MN Senate race. Clinton I and II are gold mines of self interest but usually liberal enough to make the list of examples. How did Hillery's finger prints get on those FBI files of potential political enemies? (You remember the files that she couldn't recall seeing)?

    Watch for the sequel: Return of the Fairness Doctrine! or, How to Legally Silence the Opposition in a Free Democracy.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    It goes far beyond that .They could care less about piracy,they are interested in what you are spreading about on the web and who is helping you do it.They know that as the changes are made to the law and the constitution that people will rebel and they need to identify the ringleaders and round them up quick .They will start with Limbaugh and Hennity and then go after Free republic and StopObama.com shutting them down for some blown up reason.Google is key to their plans for gathering anti Obama data on the net .
    The Kool-aid is going to your head.

    Make no mistake, its not for the most savoury of purposes that tech companies are pushing for software as a service... vendor lock-in, no piracy, they can data mine your personal info for better targetted ads and other services etc... any marketers wet dream and then some. Companies like microsoft love the idea because it will also help them combat open source.

    But good grief.... you get a big fat facepalm megs!

    The one thing we can be thankful for so far, is that Google seems to act semi-responsibly and ethically... at least compared with... I dunno... your typical telco...
    Last edited by wilbur; 01-26-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    This isn't tinfoil. Tinfoil is aliens and things you can't prove with tangible evidence. Our feds got a plethora of evidence of being in everyones business they can be. You couple that with technological ability.....and I'm highly skeptical the holy fed is using it only for good intentions.

    It should be a concern to anyone that cares about privacy rights...liberties etc.
    Just read Andrew Napolitano's book "Nation of Sheep".
    Tinfoil also applies to those who think the government is beaming stuff into their heads and other such conspiracy theories. Don't get me wrong - I'm against this on all levels. I don't want my stuff out of my control - and I don't want remote software either.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    In the tech industry, we've been anticipating this for a long time, at least from a storage perspective. We've imagined the benefits of all personal media being keep in a central storage system that could be accessed any where. Data files and the software to run them could be downloaded on to small computers and executed locally. The transmission speeds aren't there yet but very soon this will be a possiblity. If the privacy issues can be worked out this could be a great thing for reducing the cost, size and weight of computers while increasing the size and decreasing the cost of data storage.

    "In the tech industry, we've been anticipating this for a long time, at least from a storage perspective. "

    My problem with the entire scheme is one of data security.Lots of customers have proprietary ways of doing business and value their customers identity and don't want it revealed.Crunching large data files over high speed links is time consuming and slow.Processing locally requires storage either hard disk or flash memory s.s state disk.attempting to do process I/O over HS lines is a fallacy .Either you ship the entire program data base and all library's to Google and run the program on their processors or you page fault forever without local runtime storage.

    "We've imagined the benefits of all personal media being keep in a central storage system that could be accessed any where. "

    Again the issue is data and customer identification security .I fail to see any advantage in allowing Google easy access to my business data especially as the price of local bulk storage is falling like a rock.storage is cheap and getting cheaper and faster.The ability to remotely access to data on your own computer has been available for some time.

    "Data files and the software to run them could be downloaded on to small computers and executed locally."

    Again without a fairly large local storage device of some kind program execution is near impossible. Where would you store run time tables and intrem data without local storage. A Von Neuman computer architecture dictates a machine within a machine to function and depending on the program design generates a lot of page activity as data is moved around .Trying to do this over an internet broadband link would be a horror show due to the data path's bandwidth .

    "The transmission speeds aren't there yet but very soon this will be a possibility."

    cable modem technology can theoretically support up to about 30 Mbps, most providers offer service with between 1 Mbps and 6 Mbps bandwidth for downloads, and bandwidth between 128 Kbps and 768 Kbps for uploads. Cable modem transmission is serial data one bit wide.A computer's backplane supports a sixty four bit wide parallel digital data word .In order to send a single parallel sixty four bit plus eight house keeping bits word a seventy two bit shift regester would need to be clocked seventy two times further dividing down the data transfer rate.

    Each serial ASCII character is only three bits wide . Each letter and number on your key board has a unique ASCII character of three bits .Each word typed is sent over the cable as a serial data stream to CU .While typing the bandwidth used is quite low but try it times seventy two bits at once as in one data word from the data casche !



    "If the privacy issues can be worked out this could be a great thing for reducing the cost, size and weight of computers while increasing the size and decreasing the cost of data storage."

    With the storage size increasing and price falling every day local achieves are much cheaper than anything Google can offer.Google isn't going to do this without some cost to the users .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member Ranger Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    408
    The down side for me would be having another monthly bill. All my data would be deleted if not payed.

    No it is easier and cheaper to keep it at home, on my computer.
    Last edited by Ranger Rick; 01-27-2009 at 01:40 PM.
    I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    654
    The Google story over on the Political news forum gets the credit for my initial dislike of The concept. And, I don't see benefits that out weigh that concern. Goggle's political leaning is pretty well known.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    This is one of those concepts that has the potential to be both useful and destructive. This idea sounds a lot like the virtual pc. We already use them and they do have applications that are pretty neat.

    On the other hand, I certainly don't share wilbur's faith in Google.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •