1. #1 I can't believe I'm saying this: I need advice from Eagle fans. 
    From ESPN:

The University of Miami is expected to finalize the hiring of Mark Whipple as offensive coordinator, a person close to the situation said Sunday night.

Whipple, a member of the Philadelphia Eagles coaching staff, is going to meet with Miami officials in South Florida on Monday.

An announcement is expected to be made Tuesday, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Heather Dinich.

The only thing holding up an announcement is human resource procedures, according to a source. Whipple had a chance to be promoted within the Eagles' staff but has said he wants to call plays again and return to the college game.

Miami officials could not confirm on Sunday night that Whipple is expected to be hired.
    He was also QB coach at Pittsburg when Rothlesberger was drafted. He did a pretty good job coaching him.

From your experiences, is this a HR hire for my Canes. I know it's got to be an improvement over Patrick Nix.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Who he is: Mark Whipple, 50, was born in New York and played quarterback and on the baseball team at Brown. He's been an offensive coordinator in college, a head coach in college, and has worked in the NFL for the past few seasons.
    What he's done: Whipple has been impressive everywhere he's been. His first major coaching job came in 1981 when he became the offensive coordinator at Union College for two seasons. He spent the 1983 season as receivers coach at Brown before spending the 84 season with the Arizona Wranglers of the USFL.

In 1986 Whipple took over as offensive coordinator at New Hampshire, where the team had averaged 241 points over the previous two seasons. In his two years there, that number increased to 279 points per year and the number dropped back off (265) in the two seasons after he left.

After serving as the head coach at New Haven from 88-93, Whipple spent four seasons as the head coach at his alma-mater. In the two years prior to Whipple's arrival at Brown, the offense averaged 173 points per season. That number increased to 256 points per season under Whipple's direction. The tremendous increase in the team's offensive successful coupled with a solid 24-16 record there gave Whipple the same job offer at UMass.

In 1997, the year before Whipple became head coach at UMass, the team scored just 149 points. In his first year there, they scored 524, an incredible 375-point (over 20 per game) increase. He was honored as the Division 1AA National Coach of the Year following that National Championship season. In Whipple's six seasons there, UMass averaged 354 points per season -- a 205-point increase over the total in the year before he arrived and a 75 points higher than the team scored the year after he left.

Bill Cowher and the Pittsburgh Steelers hired Whipple away from the college ranks to become his quarterbacks coach from 2004-2007. In those three seasons, Whipple helped develop Ben Roethlisberger. In those three seasons, including a Super Bowl title in 2005, Whipple's quarterbacks had an average passer rating of 87.6 -- one of the better ratings in the league for a quarterback. When Cowher left, so did Whipple.

After sitting out the 2007 season from coaching, he was hired by Philadelphia's Andy Reid in 2008 as an offensive assistant.

Why he should be a strong candidate: Whipple's gotten results everywhere he's been. He won a national championship in college. He won a Super Bowl in the NFL. He's been around two great players and coaches in his recent NFL years. His offensive production numbers when at UMass were outstanding. His quarterbacks have produced. His running backs have produced. He runs a fast tempo-style offense that would generate a lot of opportunity for Miami's young playmakers. He's a proven winner. He's proven he can get results. And while Whipple may have a future as an NFL offensive coordinator, he's spent the last two seasons out of football and working as an offensive assistant (not a position coach) so convincing him to become the offensive coordinator at Miami probably wouldn't be as difficult as it may seem at first.

Why he may not be: Whipple has been a college head coach before. He's been a successful NFL coach. He reportedly interviewed for the Boston College job two years ago when Jeff Jagodzinski was hired. Selling him on the idea of becoming the offensive coordinator at a college program may be difficult.

Bottom Line: He flat out gets results. He knows what championship football is all about. He would bring a winning mentality to the program. He'd bring NFL experience to the program. With Whipple running the show in Coral Gables, the Canes could absolutely become one of the nation's most explosive offenses as early as next season.
    This sounds like something to get excited about.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    From your experiences, is this a HR hire for my Canes. I know it's got to be an improvement over Patrick Nix.

I'm not an Eagles fan

but anything is a step up from Nix. :D
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    I'm not an Eagles fan

but anything is a step up from Nix. :D
    That's my thinking, too. How many bubble screens can you run in one game, without pulling anyone to block?:mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    That's my thinking, too. How many bubble screens can you run in one game, without pulling anyone to block?:mad:

Some of your verbally committed guys were just waiting to see who you would get!

There is some question whether Brown, who rushed for 6,809 yards in high school, has made a "soft verbal" commitment to the Hurricanes. He reportedly is waiting to see who UM hires as an offensive coordinator to replace Patrick Nix before making a final decision.

But the again, who cares! :D Go Gators!!!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

What ya looking for...... The proper beer bottle throwing technique. :eek:
    Onward Thru the Fog

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongo55 View Post
    As a Eagle fan we don't throw bottles, we throw batteries in snowballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo55 View Post
    haha!! Gotta love the Philly fans!! As long as the team is playing good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    As a Eagle fan we don't throw bottles, we throw batteries in snowballs.
    Batteries wrapped in glass inside snow, accompanied by loose change. :p
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke