1. #1 Jetpacks and invisibility cloak on list of inventions for 2039 
    They believe X-Ray vision, allowing users to see through walls, could be possible because of an extension of existing research on ultrasound.

Invisibility cloaks, like those worn by fictional characters including Harry Potter, could also become available in shops. Researchers are said to be developing fabrics that deceive the human eye by distorting light waves.

Meanwhile, material replicating a gecko's foot could be developed for gloves and boots, allowing people to stick to walls and climb like Spiderman.

The predictions were gathered by New Scientist magazine to mark the 30th anniversary of the first mobile telephone network. A Japanese company launched the first cellular network in Tokyo in 1979.

Scientists surveyed by the magazine also believed that within 30 years a handheld language-translating device, like the "Babel Fish" in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, could be developed, allowing the instant conversion of foreign words being heard by the user.

It could build on technology already used by US soldiers in Iraq, which recognises common speech patterns to translate Arabic into English.

A "handheld healing machine", similar to that wielded by Dr McCoy in Star Trek, was also included on the list. Scientists believe it could be pointed at a user's body to discover internal injuries and encourage healing.

An affordable and readily-available jet pack, like that used by James Bond in the film Thunderball, could also become part of consumer life in 2039, according to the experts. It would allow users to travel short distances quickly and to avoid roads.

link

Sorry Ginger, still no mention of the collie version.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    The Invisibility Cloak was talked about back in 2005

http://www.defensereview.com/modules...rticle&sid=850

If I remember right, one problem it had was distance from those who viewed it. You had to be so far away and no further or nearer for it to look right.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

When are we getting flying cars? If GM could be the first with one of those, they'd be out of bankruptcy soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    When are we getting flying cars? If GM could be the first with one of those, they'd be out of bankruptcy soon enough.
    Who cares? It's doubtful that they will make flying cars for Collies. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    are you NUTZ???? Do you have any idea how badly women drive with 4 wheels on the ground - you want to given them flying cars?????? :eek:
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Jetpacks only by 2039? I want it now! :mad:

Seriously, I'll be 55 in 2039. I better have a jetpack hover-round when I reach old age. And medicare better pay for it. :p
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    The Invisibility Cloak was talked about back in 2005

http://www.defensereview.com/modules...rticle&sid=850

If I remember right, one problem it had was distance from those who viewed it. You had to be so far away and no further or nearer for it to look right.
    In a mere 30 years it will be fine, you'll wonder how you lived without one. :D

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    are you NUTZ???? Do you have any idea how badly women drive with 4 wheels on the ground - you want to given them flying cars?????? :eek:

I'm probably one of those women you are complaining about. I've never been in an accident, I currently have no points, but one of my coworkers is afraid to ride with me, because he says I drive too fast and aggressively. That's how we drive in Detroit-fast and aggressively.