1. #1 Wow! I can't beleive I'm seeing this at the DUmp 
    slipslidingaway (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-26-09 08:26 PM
    Original message
    Statement of U.S. Senator Russ Feingold In Opposition to the Nomination of Timothy Geithner
    Advertisements [?]to be the Next Secretary of the Treasury

http://firedoglake.com/2009/01/26/geithner-becomes-trea... /

January 26, 2009

"I voted against the nomination of Timothy Geithner to be the next Secretary of the Treasury with some reluctance. President Obama, like any other President, is entitled to have the Cabinet he wants, barring serious disqualifying issue, and Mr. Geithner is a very able nominee in many ways. And while I am troubled by Mr. Geithner's track record on some of the issues that have contributed to the credit market crisis, I do not base my vote on what is, to a certain extent, a matter of policy disagreement.

"Mr. Geithner's tax liability is a different matter, however. I am deeply troubled by his failure to pay the payroll taxes he owed, despite repeated alerts from his employer at the time, the International Monetary Fund, that he was responsible for paying those taxes. Moreover, his earlier interactions with the Internal Revenue service over his failure to pay sufficient payroll taxes for his household employees make Mr. Geithner's explanations of his failure to pay his own payroll taxes even less satisfactory. The failure to comply with our nation's tax laws would be problematic for any Cabinet nominee, but it is especially disturbing when it involves the individual who will be charged with overseeing the enforcement of our tax laws.

"With the condition the economy is in, and the state of our country's financial institutions, the stakes could not be greater for the next Treasury Secretary. While I could not support his nomination, I respect Mr. Geithner's abilities and I look forward to working with him to address the serious problems facing our country."
    I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you, at the first two responses:

rosesaylavee (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-26-09 08:31 PM
    Response to Original message
    1. Unfortunately, I agree.
    I don't understand how he could not have paid his taxes. And for a prospective Treasury Secretary, that doesn't exactly bode well.
    Rex_Goodheart (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-26-09 08:33 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. Feingold has it exactly right
    If this were a Republican nomination this board would be outraged... and rightly so.

We don't need cheats of either party in office.
    Freeper moles or DUmmies with integrity? You decide.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x4917355

This is from the party of hope and change. Are they still fighting the culture of corruption?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand