Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Merritt Island man, paralyzed after dare, wins $76.6M award 
    Merritt Island man, paralyzed after dare, wins $76.6M award

A Merritt Island man who was paralyzed when he answered a dare to do a belly flop in the Indian River has been awarded $76.6 million by a Brevard County jury.

Timothy D. Hoffman, who was 20 at the time of the accident on Jan. 16, 2003, broke his neck when he sprinted down a dock in Port St. John and slammed headfirst into the bottom of the shallow river.

The former construction worker is unable to move his legs or arms but has limited movement in his shoulders, said his attorney, Donald Van Dingenen of Winter Park.

Hoffman's mother quit her job to take care of him. He lives in his parents' converted garage, requires assistance to eat and dress, and cannot use the bathroom normally, Van Dingenen said. His father is a construction worker who has to travel out of state to take jobs to support the family during the recession.

A jury late Wednesday in Viera decided that Hoffman should receive $1.5 million for past medical expenses, $89,000 for lost earnings, $21.7 million for future medical expenses, $583,000 for loss of future earnings, and a whopping $52.8 million for pain and suffering. The judgment is one of the largest in Brevard history, Van Dingenen said.

Whether Hoffman will collect, however, is questionable.

The defendant, C&D Dock Works, filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in May because of the incident, said its former owner, Charles Brunty. A judge in November 2007 ruled that the company was negligent.

Link

I'm not even going to make a Florida joke.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Since when is it an accident when someone deliberately does something stupid? :mad:
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Wait.. he sued the person who dared him??? Oh for cripes sakes!!!! I dare you all to run naked around your neighborhood tomorrow. Will you sue me when you get arrested??

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Wait.. he sued the person who dared him??? Oh for cripes sakes!!!! I dare you all to run naked around your neighborhood tomorrow. Will you sue me when you get arrested??
    He sued the company that he was working for. Some of them may have put up money for him to jump.

Regardless, I think it's ridiculous. But the defendant also didn't have an attorney, as the company went bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Yes, I will, and I'll use this case as precedent for my multi-million dollar lawsuit :p

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    Yes, I will, and I'll use this case as precedent for my multi-million dollar lawsuit :p
    haha.. good luck with collecting. :D

Banned
    He hit his head? I think he missed the point of a belly flop

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    I'd do it too but for the fear of a counter suit. It really would be indecent exposure if I got naked. I puke at my own reflection.:eek::D
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I have an uncle who has been paralyzed since he was 16 for doing pretty much the same thing. Of course the family never even considered suing someone else for his stupidity.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

I had a roommate who broke her neck when she dived in the pool at WMU and hit the bottom, head-first. She didn't dislocate anything and wasn't paralyzed, because her coach saw that her head was bleeding and got her to the er immediately. But she was a swim team champ and knew that she could break her neck if she dove into shallow water-no one sued WMU over it, and they actually could have, because the coach had the team diving through rings to improve their form.

A kid did the same thing at my high school, and broke his skull. He had to wear his head in a plaster cast for a few months, but, again, no one sued the school because they had a big sign up that said "no diving in the shallow end".

I feel badly for this guy, because he's young and one stupid thing cost him everything. That's what SSI is for-that, and paying for vocational training to help him get skills to get a job despite his handicap. There are lots of quads and paraplegics who have good jobs. The skier from that heart-breaking movie I saw as a kid went on to be a teacher. Joni Erikson draws pictures with a pen in her mouth, and has a successful ministry for the disabled.
    Last edited by noonwitch; 01-27-2009 at 10:38 AM.