Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Barack Obama Arrested for Possession of Joint, Imprisoned. 
    This one is so stupid I had to post it for your enjoyment:

JackRiddler
    Tue Jan-27-09 10:11 AM
    Original message
    Barack Obama Arrested for Possession of Joint, Imprisoned.
    Imagine what a great injustice could have been. But for a bit of luck and prudence, the scenario of my shameless headline could have happened to the young scholar in the 1980s, when he was attending Columbia University in the New York of the Rockefeller drug laws, in the neighborhood still known as Harlem.

American political candidates for election (and reelection) are not allowed to question drug war as it has been waged since 1914, despite the unending human disasters the policy has brought forth. The last major progress on this front was achieved with the end of alcohol prohibition after FDR's inauguration, in 1934.

Imagine that: this country had a Constitutional amendment banning beer in force for 14 years.

At best, the US politicians of today may show tolerance for state-level medical marijuana initiatives. But they D.A.R.E not support statutory decriminalization, not even of hemp; let alone any of the other recreational drugs currently designated as illegal to possess or trade. A whole seven House members signed up to co-sponsor Barney Frank's marijuana decriminalization bill last year; one soon dropped out. For most office-holders, the perception of being "soft on drugs" is still tantamount to a political death sentence.

In that light, consider the reaction of the nation's most beloved politician, Barack Obama, to the overwhelming victory of marijuana legalization as the most popular idea in a straw poll of policy proposals held on his campaign website, change.gov. In a word, the statement issued on the president-elect's behalf said: No. In four words: Ain't happening. Forget it.

Recall that among his many presidential firsts, Obama is the first to admit he inhaled reefer smoke. Repeatedly. For the express purpose of getting high! In the company of other stoners, passing the Dutchie.

And just imagine: had the promising undergraduate Barack Obama lived exactly the same exemplary life, had he made all of the same sound decisions -- including, ultimately, to stop smoking the weed -- but had he been stopped by the police at random just once and searched... and had this search found a single joint or even just a roach, he would have been arrested and his subsequent political career would have been rendered impossible.

In fact, that one moment might have ruined any chance at a professional career, for he could have ended up serving a prison term, given the draconian Rockefeller laws of New York State and the reality of how black men fare in the justice system. Prison time, for a joint, along with thousands of others who were not as lucky as he. Obama knows it. And this insanity and tragedy springs, not from some age-old existential problem, but directly from the statutes of the government he now heads.

What does it take to put an end to the drug war?

- Nicholas Levis (c) 2008
    Author permits full quotation with link.
    LINK: http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x4920164

The replies are equally idiotic:

Monk06 (1000+ posts)
    Tue Jan-27-09 10:40 AM
    Response to Original message
    3. Drug laws are a covert means of denying people the right to vote and

turning people into felons for using recreational drugs. This is specifically targeted at the young
    the left wing as well as blacks and hispanics.

In other words democrats.
    So that explains why they voted for Obama - they were high.

This is a pretty idiotic post. A fictional event which never happened, even though we all know President Obama repeatedly used marijuana and cocaine in the past. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

WHO CARES?

One place I'm sad to say I agree with Liberals on is the issue of drug decriminalization. From a civil liberties standpoint it's something I'm suprised more Conservatives are behind. Now, unlike some Libertarians I know (since I consider myself Libertarian and will register as one soon) I'm not dumb enough to place the War on Drugs as "high" on my priority list of things we need to change; but it does need to be changed.

Government can't force morality on people. Prohibition did more to boost Organized Crime (ie. La Cosa Nostra or The Mafia) in this country than anything before it; thinking logically people would see that ending the War on Drugs would deal a huge blow to the criminal element who deals in their distribution, while also saving billions of wasted dollars used to "stop" drugs from hitting our streets.

I use drugs, if you include alcohol & the occasional cigar (both technically drugs). I don't touch the illegal stuff because a. I don't want to and b. The Marine Corps would boot me if I did. But if someone wants to loaf on their couch, smoke a joint and not bother anybody, I don't see the big deal.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

And just imagine: had the promising undergraduate Barack Obama lived exactly the same exemplary life, had he made all of the same sound decisions -- including, ultimately, to stop smoking the weed -- but had he been stopped by the police at random just once and searched... and had this search found a single joint or even just a roach, he would have been arrested and his subsequent political career would have been rendered impossible.
    Where were those darn cops when they were needed? /half sarcastic/

I've done my share of stuff, and was very blessed to not end up dead or in jail for any of it. Obama did it, he admited it, unless he flunks a UA now, it's old news, move on. He should count the fact that he didn't get locked up a blessing, and this dumb writer should not be using the possiblity of ruined potential as an excuse to legalize drugs. Actios have cosequenses people. If you can't handle those possible consequences, don't take the action.

Monk06 (1000+ posts)
    Tue Jan-27-09 10:40 AM
    Response to Original message
    3. Drug laws are a covert means of denying people the right to vote and

turning people into felons for using recreational drugs. This is specifically targeted at the young
    the left wing as well as blacks and hispanics.

In other words democrats.
    Based on recent history, the bolded groups lack the brain power to be voting. Must be because they are to stoned.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    This is a pretty idiotic post. A fictional event which never happened, even though we all know President Obama repeatedly used marijuana and cocaine in the past. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

WHO CARES?
    Pretty much the size of it.

First the cookie duster, now this lame threat
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Legalize all drugs. Have the government give them away, eliminating a financial boon to organized crime. Obviously a percentage of the population would be eliminated more quickly as well. Giving drugs to the druggies would just be supplying fuel to the Darwinian engine. It would give a compelling argument that survival is for the fittest. But it would have less impact on society than drug abuse currently has. Personally, I'd have no problem with druggies killing themselves in government crack houses if I knew they wouldn't be on the street robbing me in order to get high. A certain percentage of the population is going to abuse drugs. We can build more and more prisions but it's not going to stop the abuse. And as long as drugs are illegal, they will be a huge money-maker for organized crime. Billions of dollars could be saved by recognizing we are not going to win the war on drugs by locking people in jail. Just using a fraction of the savings, programs could be funded for people who realize that drugs do kill and choose not to be a statistic.

I'm not holding my breath while waiting for this scenario to develop but I sure wish it would.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Legalize all drugs. Have the government give them away, eliminating a financial boon to organized crime.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say have the Government subsidize drugs, but I agree they should be decriminalized. It'll deflate a lot of the illegal activity that surrounds the drug trade.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as to say have the Government subsidize drugs, but I agree they should be decriminalized. It'll deflate a lot of the illegal activity that surrounds the drug trade.
    The junkies and crack-heads on the streets probably aren't wage-earners. So even if there is substantial decriminalization, crime is still going to play a part in how some drugs are obtained. I'm not trying to be benevolent in offering free heroin, crack, meth, hard-core stuff. I just don't want somebody robbing or hurting me or my family in order to feed their habit. I would give them all the junk they want until we didn't need to anymore. It wouldn't take long.

The U.S. has over 2 million in prison or jail. The yearly cost of maintaining a prisoner is about 30K to 35K I think. A substantial number of prisoner's crimes involved a drug offense component. When do we admit that it is impossible to sustain a population that is hell-bent on destroying itself?
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post

The U.S. has over 2 million in prison or jail. The yearly cost of maintaining a prisoner is about 30K to 35K I think. A substantial number of prisoner's crimes involved a drug offense component. When do we admit that it is impossible to sustain a population that is hell-bent on destroying itself?
    We definitely have too many people in jail over non-violent drug charges. It's such a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    Where were those darn cops when they were needed? /half sarcastic/
    Probably in the same place as the justice system that allowed an ineligible candidate to be seated as POTUS.
    Nothing says "idiot inside" better than an Obama/Biden bumper sticker.

I know my stance on drugs will not sit with you guys, but I am a radical when it comes to punishing drug dealers and users, I believe we should give the police the right to kill known drug dealers right on the street, raid their homes and execute them on spot. As for the users, sit them in a room when they are caught and start feeding them drugs until they overdose and go away. I lost four members of my family due to stupidity by using drugs and the dealers were caught and got 3 years, that's it. I also believe in vigilante justice, if the people in the neighborhood know who is selling drugs, let them take em out. No mercy.