Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by buyer111us View Post
    I know my stance on drugs will not sit with you guys, but I am a radical when it comes to punishing drug dealers and users, I believe we should give the police the right to kill known drug dealers right on the street, raid their homes and execute them on spot. As for the users, sit them in a room when they are caught and start feeding them drugs until they overdose and go away. I lost four members of my family due to stupidity by using drugs and the dealers were caught and got 3 years, that's it. I also believe in vigilante justice, if the people in the neighborhood know who is selling drugs, let them take em out. No mercy.
    I see the war on drugs much the way I'm beginning to view the war on terrorism.

We declared an all out war and then back pedaled and crawfished on the tough calls. Soon, the liberals acted like they lost the nerve to fight because they realized what a potential boost the war was to Republicans.

In the war on drugs, (WOD), politics and money interfered. To costly to fight and too lucrative to not.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I see the war on drugs much the way I'm beginning to view the war on terrorism.

We declared an all out war and then back pedaled and crawfished on the tough calls. Soon, the liberals acted like they lost the nerve to fight because they realized what a potential boost the war was to Republicans.

In the war on drugs, (WOD), politics and money interfered. To costly to fight and too lucrative to not.
    I'm starting to see the War on Terrorism as pretty much a neverending conflict, much like everything else we declare War on (War on Drugs, War on AIDS, War on Poverty). Now this isn't saying I don't think the War on Terrorism is a war we shouldn't be fighting; we should fight and win this war. But there will have to come a point where we say Mission Accomplished and focus on Defending U.S. soil rather then fighting overseas, and I think it's a metaphor for the end to the War on Drugs too.

We've tried to wage war on drugs and Billions of dollars later the dope on our streets is cheaper, more potent and more readily available then it was in the past. If people could move out of their comfort zones of "Drugs are evil, drugs are bad, blah blah blah" and just ATTEMPT to try thinking about this logically, I think we'd make some real strides.

This is why I just can't be a Conservative on some issues here and there. Legislating morality is impossible and I think any Classical or Laissez-Faire Liberal can understand what objection the Founding Fathers would have to this.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    It's a good strategy, IMO. Look at how well the War on Poverty has done since we've gone "all out" on that front.

I say we give up on the war on poverty, it's just too costly.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    It's a good strategy, IMO. Look at how well the War on Poverty has done since we've gone "all out" on that front.

I say we give up on the war on poverty, it's just too costly.
    Yeah, I'd agree it has worked wonders for the RAT party.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post

This is why I just can't be a Conservative on some issues here and there. Legislating morality is impossible and I think any Classical or Laissez-Faire Liberal can understand what objection the Founding Fathers would have to this.
    I understand but imagine the possible results of removing restraint from this culture entirely. Once we accept open drug use/abuse, the radical libertine climate could lead to the same errosion of morals and standards of behavior that we have seen as a result of our Peace, love, and understanding/if it feels good do it crowd.

As one liberal here responded, nothing wrong with these things per se but as a whole, very damaging to our culture. Just look at where we are regarding open displays from the Prancing Nancys because we are trained to live and let live, tolerate, understand, etc. Since the 60's, our culture has eroded to the point where you have to choose wisely when and where you go or take your children.
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    But there will have to come a point where we say Mission Accomplished and focus on Defending U.S. soil rather then fighting overseas, and I think it's a metaphor for the end to the War on Drugs too.
    You are obviously far more an authority on this subject than I am. So let me ask a serious question. I think it's safe to assume that there are millions of people in this world who are willing to die in order to inflict harm upon us. Unless we're willing to wrap ourselves in an air-tight cocoon, how do we prevent an attack on U.S. soil if we aren't on the offensive in our enemy's backyard? I only wish we'd be more aggressive in taking the fight to the enemy. From this layman's perspective, we seem more concerned about collateral damage than losses to our troops.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    You are obviously far more an authority on this subject than I am. So let me ask a serious question. I think it's safe to assume that there are millions of people in this world who are willing to die in order to inflict harm upon us. Unless we're willing to wrap ourselves in an air-tight cocoon, how do we prevent an attack on U.S. soil if we aren't on the offensive in our enemy's backyard? I only wish we'd be more aggressive in taking the fight to the enemy. From this layman's perspective, we seem more concerned about collateral damage than losses to our troops.
    I think you've got the right idea; however, there are legitimate limits on where we should go and what we should do. I think we need to focus much more of our power defending our actual shores, rather then having troops doing drug busts in South American & Mexico, things like that.

I think the US military should act when we have credible intel, go in, destroy what we're sent to destroy and then get the F out. The more I serve in Iraq the more I become jaded to the whole affair and think it's bs in a lot of ways. The US should never again enter a country without a substantial plan on how to get out with honor and victory. AND we need to decide on whether or not we're "at war". You can't fight battles the way we faught in Fallujah and expect to end terrorism. In WWII when we had cities where our troops were getting slaughtered, we sent in Bombers and leveled the entire city. Because of bullshit PC reasons, we don't do that now. Either we go all out and demolish the enemy or we don't. There is no in-between.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

I think you've identified THE problem we have in engaging in conflict. I'm convinced that America was damaged as much as Japan when we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki. From the days we bombed those cities, we've been afraid to do what's necessary to win a war. It seems to me that our enemies realize we are afraid to go for the knock-out punch. And if they just stay in the fight long enough, the American people with the "help" of the American press will tire of the battle and withdraw their support. That exact scenario cost us to lose in Vietnam and very nearly in Iraq. With the Democrats controlling Washington, I have serious doubts that we'll have the resolve to do what's necessary in Afghanistan. Sir, while I commend you and your comrades for your sacrifices in defending this nation, I am ashamed of our leadership that sends troops into battle without putting the full might of the military into the fight. WWII and prior, we fought to win, whatever it took. Since Aug 1945, we fight to... I don't know.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.