Thread: Congressman intros bill requiring cameraphones to "click" for pics

Hybrid View

1. #1 Congressman intros bill requiring cameraphones to "click" for pics 
    Congressman intros bill requiring cameraphones to "click" for pics
    Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:17AM EST
    See Comments (7)

Buzz up!on Yahoo!Face to face with the worst economic crisis to face the nation in decades, our leaders are hard at work trying to come to America's aid. The latest legislative salvo? A bill that would require cameraphones to make a sound "audible within a reasonable radius of the phone whenever a photograph is taken with the camera in such phone."

The bill, called the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act, is the brainchild of New York's Peter King, and it's a response to the continued popularity of voyeuristic photos snapped on the sly by those darn kids. King specifically cites adolescents being spied upon "in dressing rooms and public places" in the draft of the bill.

As well, Wired notes that a similar law is already on the books in Japan, where such behavior is practically a national pastime.

But, as Wired also notes, the prospects for King's stateside bill doesn't look entirely rosy. He has no co-sponsor for the action and, a smattering of press reports aside, there hasn't been much interest in the legislation at all.

One supposes that Congress may have other matters at the top of its mind right now than phone-wielding peeping Toms. Just a hunch.
    Okay.

Yahoo

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Republican, in case anyone was interested.

They said on the radio this morning that the bill has 0 co-sponsors. Big surprise.
    The Democrats like Barney like to take pictures on the 'sly' in the mens room and Health club locker rooms and would naturally vote against a bill like this !

Actually makes sense. My phone makes a click.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    Actually makes sense. My phone makes a click.
    Isn't the real issue "doing something stupid" rather than being caught?

I doubt that most of the horrible pics are covert spying operations. Most of them are victim-assisted, drunken moments that seemed like a good idea at the time.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Isn't the real issue "doing something stupid" rather than being caught?

I doubt that most of the horrible pics are covert spying operations. Most of them are victim-assisted, drunken moments that seemed like a good idea at the time.

The click are only for starters .The real problem is these pictures once secretly taken by some kid have a life of their own .They end up on their friends phones or computers via email and as we have read some taken by young girls themselves in the nude qualify as pedophiliic material .

If they end up by accident on some older guys phone he could be in deep crap .People have been convicted of a crime by unknowingly having these type pictures on their phones email .

I have been in the changing room at my health club and noticed a guy (?) secretly taking pictures of the other members while they were in the nude,Cells and cameras are now banned in the shower and changing areas of my club.

pedophilia Pronunciation (pē′dō-fil′ē-ă)
    In psychiatry, an abnormal attraction to children by an adult for sexual purposes.
    [G. pais, child, + philos, fond] WebMD Medical Reference from "Stedman's Medical Dictionary"
    .................................................. ...............
    Refers to child molesters and child rapists, as well as people who view sexual images of children and those who would like to do so. Current usage makes it unclear whether it is a sexual orientation or a class of actions. Strictly speaking, it refers only to those interested in pre-pubescent children. (Attraction to teenagers is hebephilia). All paedophile activities which involve actual children are forms of child abuse.