Thread: When Is Enough Too Much?

1. #1 When Is Enough Too Much? 
    The Lounge is completely boring at the moment so here's a question:

What is the difference between a habit and an addiction? Is there one? How does the labeling affect the behavior? Have you ever had a habit that others characterized as an "addiction"? Was it? This could apply to anything: smoking, dieting, sports, TV, eating, sex, work, etc.

Is it more useful to characterize repetitive behaviors as habits or as addictions? Why? Why not?

Show your work. :p

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    back in the old addiction counseling days I had a short and sweet answer

If it causes you problems, its a problem.
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits was a Doobie Brothers album released in the 70's. The transmigration of values down the slippery slope at some point along the way can definitely reach the addiction level.

Comedian Brother Dave Gardner made a distinction between the Want To's and the Can't Help It's.

To me, addiction is the Can't Help It's. Tolerance. Withdrawal. Etc.

I've never smoked cigarettes but I had a friend once who told me it was actually harder for him to kick his addiction to cigarettes than it was to kick his addiction to heroin. (addiction was the word he used for both)

A favorite uncle of mine, now deceased, who was virtually physically carried by me to a Charter hospital because of an addiction to alcohol, cheerfully announced to the doctor that while he was at Charter to quit drinking, he was also going to quit smoking at the same time. The doctor looked over his glasses and said, Let's just de-horn one Devil at a time.

He was right of course.

But, I sometimes think that the word addiction is overused. The term is useful as a heuristic device but, at least to me, some addictions are really habits. And, probably, there are some people who are addicted who just use the word habit to disguise their dependency.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    But, I sometimes think that the word addiction is overused. The term is useful as a heuristic device but, at least to me, some addictions are really habits. And, probably, there are some people who are addicted who just use the word habit to disguise their dependency.
    I've met people who gave up drinking, smoking, dancing on Sundays and I've met people who've felt that they were addicted to those very things and framed their experience medical terms.

When asked about the frequency or fallout; both groups seemed to tell the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The Lounge is completely boring at the moment so here's a question:

What is the difference between a habit and an addiction? Is there one? How does the labeling affect the behavior? Have you ever had a habit that others characterized as an "addiction"? Was it? This could apply to anything: smoking, dieting, sports, TV, eating, sex, work, etc.

Is it more useful to characterize repetitive behaviors as habits or as addictions? Why? Why not?

Show your work. :p
    Speaking from experience, an addiction is something you just can't live without, you think. Habit is an extreme routine.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaiman View Post
    Speaking from experience, an addiction is something you just can't live without, you think. Habit is an extreme routine.
    As someone who has OCD, I'd laugh at that comment and immediately clean my counters. :D

Blake said "To know what is enough, one must first know what is too much", or words to that effect.

He was probably a junkie or something.

Bad habit and addiction are used to describe the same thing.

"Addiction" makes it sound like you are the victum of some clinically defined illness. Families often use the word addiction to sugar coat the issue. (Which makes it no less serious of an issue. Addictions can be really bad)

I have had alot of bad habits over the years and I am sure I will have new ones in the future.

Anything in excess is sin.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 01-28-2009 at 02:24 PM.