Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11  
    I demand a return to lay-away! :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,425
    Stores have started doing layaway again; I remember seeing stories about that at Christmastime. I find it more efficient to "layaway" money, and then I can buy what I want when I see it. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Patent Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I demand a return to lay-away! :D
    A lot of stores still do lay-away. It's just unusual to see it.

    TOTD: I'd have to say cursive writing, along with any form of calligraphy.

    I was having a discussion recently with the wife about what makes someone "talented" in a sport or endeavor. What happened to all the guys who were "talented" at jousting? Or "talented" blacksmiths. The market for these types of skills has dropped dramatically, but are people still born with "talents" in these areas?

    Are we just now entering the hayday of talented football and basketball players, who 500 years ago would have been stuck laboring in a field with a "useless" skill as a slave (sorry, "serf") to British nobility?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    A lot of stores still do lay-away. It's just unusual to see it.

    TOTD: I'd have to say cursive writing, along with any form of calligraphy.

    I was having a discussion recently with the wife about what makes someone "talented" in a sport or endeavor. What happened to all the guys who were "talented" at jousting? Or "talented" blacksmiths. The market for these types of skills has dropped dramatically, but are people still born with "talents" in these areas?

    Are we just now entering the hayday of talented football and basketball players, who 500 years ago would have been stuck laboring in a field with a "useless" skill as a slave (sorry, "serf") to British nobility?
    Farriers and blacksmiths are still around and still talented. Surprisingly, so are the jousting guys. In fact, I'll bet there are more farriers and smiths making a good living at those trades than there are NFL or NBA starters. A lot more.

    The jousting guys still just work for beer and women. ;)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,591
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Stores have started doing layaway again; I remember seeing stories about that at Christmastime. I find it more efficient to "layaway" money, and then I can buy what I want when I see it. :p
    I agree about layawaying the money----with interest. I'm afraid the layaway program is another way to encourage impulse buying. At least they won't be running up as much debt as they would with a credit card.

    I'm another one who squirrels away money. Extravagent spending is gauche, particularly in this economy. I read a story this morning on the internet about high rollers being ashamed of their ostentatious ways-----so they're having their expensive purchases put into a plain white bag, disguising the designer stores where they purchased the goods, or having the purchases delivered directly to their homes, so they wouldn't be spotted carrying out too many bags from the stores,
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Super Moderator BadCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In your dreams
    Posts
    15,616
    I'll bet there are more farriers and smiths making a good living at those trades
    I can verify this.
    $80 for Al's last set of shoes.

    rm -rf obama*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,127
    I am finally home from a busy day of work. After work a few of us went out. I was being made fun of because I had a cup of coffee followed by ice water. Of course, I betcha I feel alot better in the morning. :)

    TOTD: Using the stove, oven or slow cooker in place of the microwave.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,315
    TOTD: Vampire hunters. There is a distinct lack of Van Helsing type vampire hunters to rid the world of the undead mence. It sad because one can't go to a Goth bar or New Orleans with being knee deep in 19 year old, high school drop out blood suckers and their human minions.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,425
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    TOTD: Using the stove, oven or slow cooker in place of the microwave.

    That hasn't died out at my house. I didn't own my first microwave until a little over a year ago, and I really only use the convection oven feature on it.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •