Thread: Chicken Piccata

1. #1 Chicken Piccata 
    My mom has been making this as long as I can remember. She doesn't remember where she got the recipe from, and I've tweaked the seasonings a bit, so it's not total plagiarism (I hope). I'll warn you beforehand, there is no way to make this and keep your kitchen clean - don't even try. But it is tasty, so I hope if you try it, you'll like it as much as I do. You will need:

- 3-4 chicken breasts
    - 1 egg
    - 3 T lemon juice, divided into 2T and 1T
    - 1/2 cup of flour
    - 1/4 t garlic powder
    - 1/4 t paprika
    - 1/4 cup (4T) butter
    - 1/2 cup hot water
    - 2 bouillon cubes

First, I like to rinse the chicken breasts. Once that's done, beat the egg with the 1T of lemon juice, and combine the flour with the garlic powder and paprika and mix it well.

If you rinsed the breasts, you can now dry them off and soak them in the egg/lemon juice mixture. Once the mixture is all over the breasts, take them out and cover them in the flour mixture. The flour tends to get hard to work with if you just directly transfer the breasts from the liquid, so I like to keep the flour mix on one plate, and bread the breasts on another plate using a spoon. Make sure every nook and cranny on the breasts gets covered with the flour. You can get your skillet on at this point.

Once the skillet is hot, melt the butter and brown the chicken in it. While you're waiting for the chicken to brown up, combine the water, bouillon cubes and the remaining 2T of lemon juice. The bouillon should completely dissolve in the water.

When the breasts are brown, add the water mixture, cover the skillet, and simmer for 20 minutes, flipping the breasts halfway through.

This is the egg/lemon juice mixture...

...the flour/garlic powder/paprika mixture...

...and the breasts once they've been dunked in the egg and breaded with the flour.
    Last edited by Troll; 01-25-2009 at 12:04 AM.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

This is the chicken starting to brown in the butter...

...and the water/bouillon/lemon juice mixture that you add once the breasts are browned.

This is how it looks after you add the lemon juice mixture and simmer it for 20 minutes.

I usually serve this with brown rice which is especially good with the pan drippings. :D
    Last edited by Troll; 01-25-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Excellant!! Looks juicy. Great pics.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Looks really good!!

They look really good...

Question: Would these freeze and reheat well? I'm having a dinner for 20 next month and I'd like to serve a protein other than meatballs, sausages and lasagne. This would go well with the menu, but I don't want to be in the kitchen all day cooking. If they freeze and reheat well, I could make this the week before and just reheat in the oven that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Question: Would these freeze and reheat well? I'm having a dinner for 20 next month and I'd like to serve a protein other than meatballs, sausages and lasagne. This would go well with the menu, but I don't want to be in the kitchen all day cooking. If they freeze and reheat well, I could make this the week before and just reheat in the oven that day.
    I've never tried it, but I wouldn't advise it. I ate one of the breasts today after spending the night in the fridge. It seems what tends to happen is the breading separates and falls off the breasts. It still tastes okay, but it's not very pretty. :o

If you want to try making and freezing it before the party and letting me know how it turns out, that would be great - I just don't want to ruin your dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I've never tried it, but I wouldn't advise it. I ate one of the breasts today after spending the night in the fridge. It seems what tends to happen is the breading separates and falls off the breasts. It still tastes okay, but it's not very pretty. :o

If you want to try making and freezing it before the party and letting me know how it turns out, that would be great - I just don't want to ruin your dinner.
    Thanks for the advice. I think the freezing might ruin the crispness that looks so good in your picture.