Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    But there is life on Mars, right?
    Unknown. The presence of microbial life on Mars is certainly possible but it has not confirmed. Structures resembling bacteria were found in the ALH 84001 Mars meteorite, but scientists are still debating about what they are.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 05-31-2008 at 08:21 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Unknown. The presence of microbial life on Mars is certainly possible but it has not confirmed. Structures resembling bacteria were found in the ALH 84001 Mars meteorite, but scientists are still debating about what they are.
    Oh, brother! Sure, you pooh-pooh my statement that life traveled from Earth to Mars on the probes we sent there, but you're all gung-ho for the even less likely idea that life hitched a ride from Mars to Earth on a meteorite. Siddhartha H. Buddha!

Oh, brother! Sure, you pooh-pooh my statement that life traveled from Earth to Mars on the probes we sent there, but you're all gung-ho for the even less likely idea that life hitched a ride from Mars to Earth on a meteorite. Siddhartha H. Buddha!
    I'm gung ho? What I wrote was that structures resembling bacteria were found on ALH 84001. I have not argued that those structures are evidence of life on Mars.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 06-02-2008 at 07:52 AM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

It makes me laugh that people think that aliens came billions of miles in highly advanced spacecraft to be peeping toms.
    They've come for our women!

Still, given the state of this congress, it's only a matter of time before they notice that Karl Rove does have a suspiciously high forehead, just like the alien, use their subpeona powers to investigate whether alien technology was used to game voting machines in Florida.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I'm gung ho? What I wrote was that structures resembling bacteria were found on ALH 84001. I have not argued that those structures are evidence of life on Mars.
    You went from calling microbes traveling from the life-abundant Earth to Mars on probes "highly unlikely" to calling the idea of microbes traveling from a dead Mars to Earth on meteorites as "certainly possible." Yeah, in comparing the two, I'd definitely call the latter "gung-ho."

You went from calling microbes traveling from the life-abundant Earth to Mars on probes "highly unlikely" to calling the idea of microbes traveling from a dead Mars to Earth on meteorites as "certainly possible." Yeah, in comparing the two, I'd definitely call the latter "gung-ho."
    You need to read more carefully. What I wrote is that the presence of microbial life on Mars is certainly possible.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

You need to read more carefully. What I wrote is that the presence of microbial life on Mars is certainly possible.
    Let's take this fight to the Federation Council and get back to the all-important task of ragging on the crazy guy who wants congress to investigate his trick-or-treaters. This is extremely funny stuff, and should not be diluted by bickering over serious intellectual issues.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Let's take this fight to the Federation Council and get back to the all-important task of ragging on the crazy guy who wants congress to investigate his trick-or-treaters. This is extremely funny stuff, and should not be diluted by bickering over serious intellectual issues.
    Hear, hear....the motion is seconded. To the Transporters, sentient fellow beings! :p

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    Hear, hear....the motion is seconded. To the Transporters, sentient fellow beings! :p
    Exactly. Set phasers on "ridicule" and fire for effect. :D
    --Odysseus