Hybrid View

1. #1 Pro Bowl Moving to Miami, week before SB for 2010; Mixed Reactions 
    Mixed feelings about Pro Bowl moving to Florida
    By FRED GOODALL
    AP Sports Writer

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- The Pro Bowl will be in Miami next year. At least two players headed to this year's game in Hawaii have mixed feelings about the all-star event being held in South Florida the weekend before the 2010 Super Bowl.

It's not that Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson and Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis have anything against the Sunshine State. After all, both grew up in Florida and played at the University of Miami.

"I love Hawaii," Johnson, a three-time Pro Bowl selection said, drawing laughter during a news conference also featuring first-time AFC pick Nick Mangold of the New York Jets on Wednesday.

Johnson, a Miami native, quickly changed course.

"It'll be different ... being in a different site," he added. "It'll be in my hometown, it'll be a lot of fun. Hopefully I can go and make it."

Two-time Pro Bowl pick Portis wasn't budging, though.

"For me, I hope I'm not available," he said. "I hope we're in the Super Bowl next year."

The NFL announced last month that next season's all-star game will be held one week before the Super Bowl, with both games at Dolphin Stadium. The Pro Bowl has been held in Honolulu since 1980.

Portis does see one advantage to the game being shifted to the mainland. It could be a much more affordable trip for fans.

"I think for the people in the (continental) states, this is going to give them an opportunity to get to Miami," the running back said. "There will be a lot going on in Miami for those two weeks preparing for the Super Bowl. Hopefully, I'm preparing for the Super Bowl, too."
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

I like it. :D

But I am biased.

~QC

"For me, I hope I'm not available," he said. "I hope we're in the Super Bowl next year."
    No kidding. It's already one of the worst attended "All Star" games as it is. Now you're going to have two teams who generally will have a lot of Pro Bowlers excluded.

They ought just dump the whole idea. I really don't think most fans would miss it.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Hey, look at it this way. It's a way to get some Eagles as close to the Super Bowl as they'll ever get.
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

It'll put a hurt on the local economy in Hawaii when it happens; I know it's always a big event for the local area. Plus we always get football stars coming over to the Marine Corps Base every year, so I'm pissed. :mad:
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke