Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Snuggies Take Nation By Storm. 
    Marketing's New Red-Hot Seller: Humble Snuggie
    After 4 Million Sold, There's Waiting List for Blanket With Arms
    By Jack Neff

Published: January 26, 2009

BATAVIA, Ohio (AdAge.com) -- The Snuggie blanket launched nationally on direct-response TV in October, just as the economy was slowing to a crawl, so the timing seemingly couldn't have been worse. However, it turns out the timing couldn't have been better.

Snuggie: Pullback by advertisers allowed marketer to buy cheap remnant time.
    Photo Credit: Matt Armendariz

The quirky little blanket with sleeves has become the raiment of the zeitgeist, with more than 4 million units sold in just over three months and more than 200 parody videos on YouTube. Fox News honed in on a woman wearing a Snuggie as she braved the cold attending Barack Obama's inauguration on Jan. 20, five days after Ellen DeGeneres donned one on her daytime talk show.

Ms. DeGeneres has joined a host of folks mocking the oddball Snuggie ad, which shows people chatting on the phone down on their sofas or attending sporting events in a garment that looks like something out of "Star Wars" or a Franciscan monastery. One of the most popular ads, with more than 125,000 views as of last week, proclaimed a "Cult of the Snuggie." Its opening text declares: "In a godless and cold world, there is but one place to seek warmth and salvation" as a segue into the next two minutes.

With 4 million of the blankets already shipped or on order, or just under $40 million in retail sales, Scott Boilen, president of Allstar Marketing Group, Hawthorne, N.Y., is laughing all the way to the bank. The company behind the Snuggie is moving the blankets out the door as fast as it can get Chinese suppliers to crank them out.

That's sometimes frustrating for customers who want them faster than the promised four-to-six-week delivery time, he said. "People want this product so bad, they want it as soon as they order it," Mr. Boilen said. "And we received so many more orders in the beginning than we anticipated."
    Does anybody have one of these? I would think that they'd take all of a half an hour to run up on a sewing machine (that would include cutting time).

AdAge

No. Why would anyone want to look like a monk?

Do you get shamwows if you buy one?
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Patent Member
    My wife and I each got one for Christmas from her grandmother. Mine is a comfortable blanket, but it's too short (48" x 54" IIRC). The other is longer (48" x 72"), but the fabric of the blanket isn't nearly as comfortable.

I like being able to tell what kind of fabric I'm getting, a luxury not afforded by mail-order.

Although, they are nice for working on a laptop during a chilly evening.

meh. . . . Silly me - I wear clothes instead. It's just sooooo difficult to put on a sweater.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Does anybody have one of these? I would think that they'd take all of a half an hour to run up on a sewing machine (that would include cutting time).

AdAge
    I think I'll just wear my bath robe backwards and save some cash.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    Even if you'd wear one at home, what's with the Dork Family wearing them to "sporting events"? Don't they get beaten up in the parking lot?

I think I must have seen this ad too many times, that I'm even pondering this.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Even if you'd wear one at home, what's with the Dork Family wearing them to "sporting events"? Don't they get beaten up in the parking lot?

I think I must have seen this ad too many times, that I'm even pondering this.
    Linda, it's clear that you have never attended a "sporting event". If you had, you'd know that people in blankets are small potatoes next to semi-nude people painted orange and color-coordinated people waving giant foam fingers around. I'm not even going describe beer hats. :D

Linda, it's clear that you have never attended a "sporting event". If you had, you'd know that people in blankets are small potatoes next to semi-nude people painted orange and color-coordinated people waving giant foam fingers around. I'm not even going describe beer hats. :D
    And the fact that its generally near 0 degrees when the shirtless, painted drunks come out.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    I've seen pictures of that, but you're quite right, I've never seen it in person. Fat guys with painted tummies almost never do the "wave" at the opera, with their bellies proclaiming "T-O-S-C-A". :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Beer hats.... maybe my patent will be the Cabernet Hat. [Cabernet Chapeau?] I gotta get in touch with Vince; this is the kind of project that needs his more subtle touch, rather than Billy May's eternal screaming.