Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 DU's Pope died, they celebrate his legacy of hate 
    LINK

Oregonian (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-23-08 05:40 AM
    Original message
    George Carlin: "Just how fucking stupid do you have to be to believe in angels?"
    I LOVED George Carlin's rips on religion. He just cut right to the chase, pulled no punches, and was merciless in his pummeling of irrational thought and organized superstition. He is most certainly NOT in some fluffy cloud Heaven right now, floating around on little gossamer wings. He was born on Earth, and he ceased to exist on Earth. And that is that.

To George Carlin: You were the best.
    Zhade (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-23-08 05:41 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. He really nailed the arrow of honesty through the heart of stupidity.
    A real Cupid of truth. He will be missed.
    Oregonian (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-23-08 05:49 AM
    Response to Original message
    2. More quotes on religion from Carlin:
    George Carlin (b. 1937)
    Satirical comic; free-speech activist

I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood.
    -- George Carlin (attributed: source unknown)

I credit that eight years of grammar school with nourishing me in a direction where I could trust myself and trust my instincts. They gave me the tools to reject my faith. They taught me to question and think for myself and to believe in my instincts to such an extent that I just said, "This is a wonderful fairy tale they have going here, but it's not for me."
    -- George Carlin, in the New York Times, August 20, 1995

If churches want to play the game of politics, let them pay admission like everyone else.

Religion: If this offends you, welcome to the world of sane and realistic critical thought. More harm has been done to the collective human psyche by religion than by all the fucking and cocksucking since the dawn of time. By the way, many religious people (including the ordained) fuck and suck each other's cocks all the time.
    -- George Carlin, from the language warning sequence introducing the his website, www.geogrecarlin.com, that existed in late 2001 and early 2002

Instead of school busing and prayer in schools, which are both controversial, why not a joint solution? Prayer in buses. Just drive these kids around all day and let them pray their fuckn' empty little heads off.
    -- George Carlin, Brain Droppings

George CarlinI'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

We created god in our own image and likeness!

I finally accepted Jesus -- not as my personal savior, but as a man I intend to borrow money from.

I've begun worshipping the Sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the Sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.

Here's another question I've been pondering -- what is all this shit about angels? Have you heard this? Three out of four people belive in angels. Are you fucking stupid? Has everybody lost their mind? You know what I think it is? I think it's a massive, collective, psychotic chemical flashback for all the drugs smoked, swallowed, shot, and obsorbed rectally by all Americans from 1960 to 1990. Thirty years of street drugs will get you some fucking angels, my friend!

What about Goblins, huh? Doesn't anybody belive in Goblins? You never hear about this. Except on Halloween and then it's all negative shit. And what about Zombies? You never hear from Zombies! That's the trouble with Zombies, they're unreliable! I say if you're going to go for the Angel bullshit you might as well go for the Zombie package as well.
    -- George Carlin, You Are All Diseased

I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas.
    -- George Carlin, quoted from Reuters / Variety "Notable Quotes" for April 25, 2001

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.

The two big mistakes were the belief in a sky god -- that there's a man in the sky with 10 things he doesn't want you to do and you'll burn for a long time if you do them -- and private property, which I think is at the core of our failure as a species. That's the source of my indignations, my dissatisfactions, however it comes out on the stage. I feel betrayed by the people I'm part of, these creatures, these magnificent creatures.
    -- George Carlin, Orange County Register, March 1997

More at:

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/carlin.htm

Gee, I can really see why they think the world is worse off without a guy like that running around. At least they still have Senator KKK Byrd.

Oh, one poster dared criticize him and was immediately sacrificed to a golden Carlin idol.
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”

............and ted kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    LINK

Gee, I can really see why they think the world is worse off without a guy like that running around. At least they still have Senator KKK Byrd.

Oh, one poster dared criticize him and was immediately sacrificed to a golden Carlin idol.
    I never thought he was funny...

4. #4 “Oh, take a joke can’t ya?” 
    I'm just sayin'...
    Shakespeare.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by everyman68 View Post
    I never thought he was funny...
    And I ,I thought him a sarcastic old man trying his damnest to be humorous but never quite making it .GOD rest his soul ,RIP .

Goldy, silvery, irony...

He died at St. John's Health Center. A Catholic hospital. That he chose to go to earlier in the day.

That means when he went he was surrounded by God's image, crosses on the walls, etc. I wonder if the jerk-off received last rites.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    I'm just sayin'...
    And I can. Jokes. But just vomiting out all the anger inside of a person doesn't make it all funny and joking just because it happens onstage at Bob's Chuckle House. No more than that Kramer guy's n-word outburst was a joke.
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    I always loved his humor. I certainly didn't agree with some of his views, but the man was hilarious.

He was offensive, but I thought the guy was quite funny. He takes some of the stuff that I and several others were thinking that would normally be serious and make us laugh. Heck, even when I didn't agree with him he still said it in a way that made me laugh.

I liked his talk on the environment. He said we didn't need environmentalism because when the world has had enough, it'll shake us off and make the plastic a part of itself. I wish I could say it the way he did becaues it was a hoot.

I thought the guy was funny. He was not really a lefty...more libertarian to the extreme. And he had a great way of pointing out some of the ridiculousness of the banal in our world. In his later years he was not nearly as funny as he had been...relying a bit too much on bitterness for his source of humor. But the guy had a talent.

Even the title of his book "Napalm and Silly Putty" was funny. The absurdity of a country that could, and did, produce both.