Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    He was offensive, but I thought the guy was quite funny. He takes some of the stuff that I and several others were thinking that would normally be serious and make us laugh. Heck, even when I didn't agree with him he still said it in a way that made me laugh.

I liked his talk on the environment. He said we didn't need environmentalism because when the world has had enough, it'll shake us off and make the plastic a part of itself. I wish I could say it the way he did becaues it was a hoot.
    I noticed that none of the DUmmies commented on Carlin's environmental stance.

I always appreciated it as well. Oh well, once every couple of years, I agree with Lanie on something. :eek: :D

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    He was offensive, but I thought the guy was quite funny. He takes some of the stuff that I and several others were thinking that would normally be serious and make us laugh. Heck, even when I didn't agree with him he still said it in a way that made me laugh.

I liked his talk on the environment. He said we didn't need environmentalism because when the world has had enough, it'll shake us off and make the plastic a part of itself. I wish I could say it the way he did becaues it was a hoot.
    http://www.habitablezone.com/flame/messages/420992.html

"Plastic came out of the earth. The earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place. It wanted plastic for itself. Didn't know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, "Why are we here?" Plastic...asshole."

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I thought the guy was funny. He was not really a lefty...more libertarian to the extreme. And he had a great way of pointing out some of the ridiculousness of the banal in our world. In his later years he was not nearly as funny as he had been...relying a bit too much on bitterness for his source of humor. But the guy had a talent.

Even the title of his book "Napalm and Silly Putty" was funny. The absurdity of a country that could, and did, produce both.
    I liked the fact that his book "When Will Jesus bring the Pork Chops" offended pretty much every religion, just in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    And I can.
    Good.
    "I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." GC
    :D
    Shakespeare.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I thought the guy was funny. He was not really a lefty...more libertarian to the extreme. And he had a great way of pointing out some of the ridiculousness of the banal in our world. In his later years he was not nearly as funny as he had been...relying a bit too much on bitterness for his source of humor. But the guy had a talent.
    Plus one.......

(How is one supposed to post whore efficiently with a 10 char minimum?:p)

RIP to Geroge. He made people laugh.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Never really saw him that often, can't remember the last time
    but RIP.

What the DUmmies failed to realize is, one, he never voted, and two, his wife's a conservative republican. Hope someone here has a pic of Carlin with Ann Coulter from the Tonight Show.
    BOWZER LIVES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Good.
    "I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." GC
    Does authority not largely have to do with how many people will believe you and follow you? In any case it still isn't funny, but at least it's not as supremely trashy as his other "material."
    ďWhen the doctor is out, Iím in.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    Does authority not largely have to do with how many people will believe you and follow you? In any case it still isn't funny, but at least it's not as supremely trashy as his other "material."
    If you think about your statement for a bit I think you'll start to get the humor of Carlin. Or perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    I noticed that none of the DUmmies commented on Carlin's environmental stance.

I always appreciated it as well. Oh well, once every couple of years, I agree with Lanie on something. :eek: :D
    Well, I have be honest. This is one of those areas where I don't agree with Carlin, but thought the way he said it was funny.

http://www.habitablezone.com/flame/messages/420992.html

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. Difference. Difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We've been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we're a threat? That somehow we're gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that's just a-floatin' around the sun?

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles...hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages...And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet...the planet...the planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE!

We're going away. Pack your shit, folks. We're going away. And we won't leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe. A little styrofoam. The planet'll be here and we'll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet'll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance
    Actually, I have wondered if he might be right.

Oh, and this.

Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, "Why are we here?" Plastic...asshole.