Hybrid View

1. #1 Air Force Fighters to Patrol Over Super Bowl 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Air Force Fighters to Patrol Over Super Bowl

WASHINGTON, Jan. 29, 2009 – Some Air Force fighter pilots may miss out on watching Super Bowl XLIII, but for a worthy cause. They will be flying to protect the skies around Raymond James Stadium during the Feb. 1 game in Tampa, Fla. Airmen flying fighter jets may be visible enforcing the Federal Aviation Administration's temporary flight restriction over the greater Tampa area during the National Football League's championship game, officials said. "America's [air operations center] will be closely monitoring all air activity while the FAA temporary flight restriction is in place," Air Force Col. David Kriner, commander of the...

-Black Sunday 1977
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXRDQWVBI3Y

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=52865
    Last edited by megimoo; 01-29-2009 at 08:39 PM.

I get my local stations from Tampa and earlier this week, one did a report on the security measures in place. There are countless agencies from around Florida, the FL National Guard, as well as federal ones (air force, coast guard, FBI, DHS, etc). They've got every gadget & vehicle under the sun — from light armored personnel carriers (the Sheriff & FBI), to a huge tractor trailer to be an operations center, Segways, radiation-detecting equipment. The local police have been given a course in behavior detection. The Fish & Wildlife Service along with the Coast Guard will be patrolling canals, the river, & the bay with airboats to mini attack boats. The nearby canals will be swept by divers & metal detectors this week and will be closed until after the SB. Roads adjacent to the stadium will be closed Saturday afternoon (especially bad given one of them is the 6-lane, main N-S highway in north Tampa. I also think that TIA will be closed for most of Sunday (however, one of the runways ends ~2 miles from the stadium). Quite frankly, the Super Bowl will quite possibly be the most safe location in the US Sunday (It has been given the same security priority as the inauguration was).

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28865062/
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

Isn't there usually a military flyover prior to the beginning of the game? There was in Detroit before the game a few years ago, and before the baseball All-Star game. They did a flyover before the first game in the Stanley Cup playoffs, too.

Whenever there is a big sports event in Detroit that is going to bring a national audience, we can see the military aircraft practicing manuevers over the city for a few days beforehand, too. It's cool, I always like watching it, it's one of those "my tax dollars at work" kinds of things. In a good way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Isn't there usually a military flyover prior to the beginning of the game? There was in Detroit before the game a few years ago, and before the baseball All-Star game. They did a flyover before the first game in the Stanley Cup playoffs, too.

Whenever there is a big sports event in Detroit that is going to bring a national audience, we can see the military aircraft practicing manuevers over the city for a few days beforehand, too. It's cool, I always like watching it, it's one of those "my tax dollars at work" kinds of things. In a good way, though.
    The sound of Freedom!
    Thanks to SarasotaRepub for your help! :D

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill inGA View Post
    The sound of Freedom!
    The best I've ever seen was the 'Blue Angles' Flyover of Saigon just before the Viet Namese war started .

For President Ngo Dinh Diem birthday .They flew the 'Star Pattern where they come from four points of the compass and just before they hit 'head on' they pull straight up in After Burners and went supersonic in a climb .The sonic boom just about broke every window in Saigon !